Trail Runners

Neo-Trail runners Extreme team-March 08 (Read 295 times)

Good luck Leslie! Go get em!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Well, in keeping with the spirit of the old thread, we'll keep this one oriented around the month before starting a new one. Leslie...HOW WAS IT?!!? Don't keep us in suspense any more. I won't bore you with my uneventful 6.5 mile "long run" as I build back up. I WANT A RACE REPORT WOMAN, NOW!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Jeez louise Buddo! Let the woman get home and relax for a minute! Can't wait to hear how it went, Leslie! We've had this NW wind blowing for the past 3 days! I've about had enough! I'm tired of running in it and it didn't make my job of teaching 3 yr olds how to ski yesterday any easier! I've run 40 miles in since Friday-no wonder I'm tired. Talk to you all tomorrow. Kelly
        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
          Greg - You need to learn patience, my friend. Patience! I couldn't have written a report yesterday or the day before for nothin'. I lived through the 30k, and I'll post a more complete race report later w/pics, but the abbreviated version: This was the hardest thing I've ever done. We climbed, and we climbed, and we climbed, and we $%@#& climbed! Climbing 20, 30, 40 minutes at a time. Steps, 20+ at a time. Sliding on shale rock. Climbing on the balls of your feet 'cause it's too steep to push off from your heels. At least 10 degrees hotter than what we've been training in, and probably hotter at times due to very little to no wind. 95% or more of the run in the direct sun. Terrible job fueling, bloating, nausea, light-headed/dizzy at times. Horrible bathroom issue toward the end, no place to go, TONS of poison oak. Didn't mess myself but very close. Finished 18.8 miles in 5:00:04. Considering how awful I felt through most of it and that I wanted so badly to quit, I'm very proud of that time and very proud that I finished. Yes . . . . and I don't ever care to run that course again, thank you very much. Tongue Have a great week!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Great job! Leslie! You didn't quit! These races can be more mental than physical but it looks like you had both sides covered! Big grin It sounds like it was a great learning experience for you so you'll be even better prepared for the 50K you have coming up. 3500' of climbing over 18 miles is a lot! Was there a lot of downhill too? Once you recover from this you'll be in such better downhill shape-I think a lot runners don't train enough for downhills and that's where you can pass a lot of people towards the end of a long race because their quads are shot. That's my strategy anyway Wink Take care Leslie and can't wait for pics and race report once some of the experience starts to fade.... Kelly
              Thanks, Kelly. The downhill became a problem because of so much steep climbing and steps up to navigate. And, of course, I blew it, fuel-wise. None of the trails we train on begin to compare to the amount of climbing involved, although we have 2 sections that we could run up and down over and over to help. And it wasn't the elevation change that was difficult, which we were trying to get across to my friend's sister (who's doing her first 100 at the Headlands 100), but the climbing. I felt like a frigging goat at times. At times I'm standing there looking straight up and thinking, "You've GOT to be kidding me!" You would climb for 30-40 min, have a flat or downhill for 5-10 minutes of running, then start climbing again. The only thing I can think of that would help get you ready for something like that is get on a stair stepper or a treadmill at a steep incline and go for it. Ugh! But it's over, I made it, I'm proud of myself, I'm sore, but I can squat without feeling like I need a crane to get me back up. Smile

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Okay, Buddo, where are YOU? Big grin

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I was waiting for the full report and pictures before I responded. Good job Leslie. Way to gut it out. It sounds like an adventure. Tuck this one away as one that you did, despite difficulties, and look back at it with satisfaction and a warm glow in the future when you're injured or feel bad about yourself in some way. It's a nugget. Was this race touted as being as difficult as your experience? Was there an elevation map available on line somewhere that you might have been able to check prior? As far as fuel, maybe you could try some pancakes with syrup? Or spaghetti? Wink Seriously, what led to your failure in the fueling department? Why do you say you failed in the fueling area? Your lightheadedness and nausea could have been a result of being too anaerobic due to all the climbing and heat, though that doesn't explain the bloating. I know that Merigayle, an ultrarunner and moderator over at Kickrunners, regularly uses a stair stepper in her training on a weekly basis on the advice of her coach Lisa Batchen. Your body will thank you now in the next few weeks as you adapt to the stress you placed on it. My guess is your next few long runs will feel very easy. You put some good money in the bank girlfriend. Good Job!

I'm feeling better about the run every day. I got a really good night's sleep last night, which has helped the mental attitude a lot. Put in 3 easy miles this morning that felt good, but my legs are still tired and a bit heavy feeling. The run wasn't touted as being more difficult, it's just that I suck at reading and comprehending the maps they provide on their web site, which are good maps. As far as fuel, my coach says I need to start carrying "regular food" as opposed to Luna bars, these fruit bars I found, etc. So I'll be boiling up potatoes to take with me, pretzels, etc. They have all this at the aid stations, but I'm probably just someone who needs to eat consistently throughout a run. The failure in the fueling department is not listening to my body from the get go and just plain ole lack of experience. It's a constant learning thing. The bloating, I don't know. I need to address that further. Maybe from the dehydration, which is why I was dizzy. For my next few long runs, I'm suppose to carry a water bottle set up (as opposed to my hydration pack) and mark the bottle at 6 oz intervals so that I get used to what it feels like to drink a full 6 oz. at a time, which I obviously wasn't doing. And yes, I think the heat and climbing had a lot to do with the problems. Re a stair stepper - I have two fairly long steep hills by my house that I've been avoiding like the plague. Looks like Coach is going to make me start running them on a regular basis. The neat part for me is that I know I can run up them (albeit slowly), and 3 years ago it was hard for me to even walk up them. That makes me feel good. Yes

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Sounds like you got a good coach. Rest, recuperate, analyze, and impliment changes. Keep experimenting. Here's some of what I learned last year that works for me: My staple food last year on runs was fig newtons and Trader Joe's fig and peanut butter granola type bars. Pizza turned out to be a no go for me after experimenting, though the pancakes were the shizzel. Trail mix wasn't enough calories for me and I bonked on one run using that. This year I'm going to go to REI, get one of those tubes that you can fill with whatever, and fill it with peanut better and honey and give that a swing on longer runs. During races pb&j's, fig newton's and HEED worked well though Mountain Dew didn't sit well after 25+ miles. I have 20 oz bottles and drink one of those an hour. NUUN tabs, 1 per bottle, keep electrolytes in place. I just bought a hydration pack for the upcoming year. I didn't even think about the lack of ability to measure how much I'm drinking. Guess I'm going to let my thirst have to guide me. This is my new thing, instinctive eating and drinking. Drink when thirsty, eat when hungry, eat and drink what sounds appetizing, trusting that the signals God put in my body are trustworthy. I'm going to experiment with that more than anything this year.

I hadn't thought about fig bars but will give those a try. Same here - granola isn't enough. Will check out REI's bottle-refill-thing. Sodas don't work well for me. Also, I use Endurolytes when running. One an hour unless it's warm and an extensive run, then 2 an hour. I had forgotten about your pancake and spaghetti experiments! Ha! Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie, Congrats on finishing your race in some very unpleasant conditions. I'm sure you'll come out the other side a stronger runner for your efforts. It sounds like you learned a lot that can be applied to your future races. Those climbs sound absolutely brutal! Lorrie
                            Checking in. Won't be able to run any trails until next week, so it's the pavement for me this Saturday. Did a 5 mile tempo run this morning and the legs were telling me their still a bit tired, but it felt good. Hope all is well with you. Keep the posts coming!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I just got my training schedule for April . . . (In the style of Dr. McCoy from Star Trek) "Damn it, Coach! I'm just a human being!" Wink

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

What's coach got you doing? How about a little preview? or is it top secret? Big grin You can do it Leslie-it may be a little tough at first but you'll adapt and you'll look back at the end and wonder what was all the fuss about. Kelly