Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - April 2010 (Read 555 times)

Welcome to a new month!  Don't forget to post any upcoming runs in the sticky thread above.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

goat

Finder of good newts

It's not often I get a picture of a run... so here's one from our group run yesterday.    The sky lupine in our area is starting to come out... you can see the hint of blue on the hillsides.  It's going to be a great April.

I'm in the orange cap.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

under a rock

I did 6.5 trail miles pain free this morning!  Looks like my IT band is losing this battle. Beautiful weather for  a trail run, 60 and sunny. I ran with a new running buddy that I'm just loving. On roads we match paces but she's new to trails so I took it a bit easy on her this morning, at the end she was letting the cuss words fly as I kept saying, "Almost there, the hill's going to end soon, I swear." Hopefully it won't take her too long to get her trail legs.

Goat- beautiful picture!

Wow goat...it's so green there!  Very nice!

Glad you're winning the IT Band battle, runslikeagirl, it's a tough one. 

Hoping to get out later today for a few hours.  It's about 30F right now, but the forecast looks good... should warm up to near 55-60F. 

goat

Finder of good newts

Wow goat...it's so green there!  Very nice!

This is the Fort Ord Public lands near Monterey, CA btw...   These same hills will be dry brown by the end of June.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

Hi everyone - I ran 14.5 miles on the trail Leslie will be on next weekend (we ran from Beals Point to Rattlesnake Bar).  It was beautiful out - GREEN (although not many wildflowers like Goats photo), and blustery.  We finished just as the sprinkles started coming down.  Raining now, and very windy.  It was a tough run, and I've been sick, so I walked the last 4 miles.  Only got lost once, too .
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Trails - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for PERFECT conditions on Saturday!

Runs - Glad you're winning the battle with your IT band.  I remember my very first trail run.  My buddy made me do 4 or 5 miles - oh, I was new to the whole running scene - and we came around this one corner and I though, "Another $%*ing hill!  I wonder if they can bring the 4-wheel thingies in here and get me.  How much would it cost?  I don't think I can make it out of here."  . . . and then I went back for more.

Goat - You're near Monterey?  I grew up in Cambria.  I've been wanting to do the Montana de Oro run.  Wanna give me the scoop?  I love PCTR runs.  Sara and Wendell are really great.

"Howdy Do" to everyone else.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm a bit tired today... last week was pretty big (for me).  Wound up with 95 miles for the week including our "Birthday Run" last Friday.  We do laps of a local mountain... 3.4 miles per loop, a little over 1300' of gain per lap.  Wound up doing 44 miles and 17,133' of gain.  Good Hardrock training though I'm pretty beat... 
                    I'm a bit tired today... Wound up with 95 miles for the week 

. . . . . dang . . . . .

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Trails - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for PERFECT conditions on Saturday!

The trails should be in great shape - yesterday there were very few muddy spots at tiny water crossings.  Don't know what they'll be like after 750 runners go through, though. The weather is looking good, too. Not too warm. I'd love to meet up with you.  Maybe at finish line?

I hadn't relaized you where from Cambria, Leslie.  You most likely know a guy I dated in college (Cal Poly).

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        Leslie, you're going to tear it up this weekend...have a GREAT time!! 

Well.  I thought I'd answered Trails, but I guess not.

Re Cambria - Did the old boyfriend grow up in Cambria?  I graduated in 1984 - which isn't that long ago.

Re AR50 - If you're out at the race, I more than likely will be wearing long (almost down to my knees) baggy black shorts, a light blue/gray cap, and a Nathans Running Vest.  Once I hit the trails, I'll be wearing a pair of hot pink gators.  Yeah, I'll be a sight to behold, but those shorts - even though they're guys' shorts - are very comfortable and airy.  I'm so white, that I'm afraid to wear anything showing more leg 'cause I don't want to get sunburned . . . or blind other runners.

Chris - Thanks!!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Re AR50 - If you're out at the race, I more than likely will be wearing long (almost down to my knees) baggy black shorts, a light blue/gray cap, and a Nathans Running Vest.  Once I hit the trails, I'll be wearing a pair of hot pink gators...

Wow, it's almost worth a trip to California just to see that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Wow, it's almost worth a trip to California just to see that.

There'll be a hot pink sports bra with them thar gators, too!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm a bit tired today... last week was pretty big (for me).  Wound up with 95 miles for the week including our "Birthday Run" last Friday.  We do laps of a local mountain... 3.4 miles per loop, a little over 1300' of gain per lap.  Wound up doing 44 miles and 17,133' of gain.  Good Hardrock training though I'm pretty beat... 

I wish I had the time and lifestyle that would allow me to do such long runs. Sounds great. That's an ultra in itself right there. 

I'm upping my time on the trails. I've been battling ligament issues in my ankles due to running in minimalist footwear, plus nueroma's. A few weeks ago my feet hurt so bad after a run I hoofed it straight to REI and bought some Cascadia's to do all my runs in. So far, symptoms have been abating and I'm getting a lot of running in and am increasing my miles. I'm now running six days a week, something I haven't done since high school cc. I ran 2:40 on the trails Saturday for 13 miles. This Saturday I'll be out for 3:15, maybe 15-16 miles. I have a tough 40 miler in WV in June. 

Yesterday was 90 degrees here. It whooped my arse! I had to walk a lot and my hr was jacked. Got 6.5 miles. 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.