Trail Runners

My 1st Trail Race (updated) (Read 264 times)

Well my first trail race is coming up on Sat and I'm so excited I can hardly wait!! I'm a new runner (only 1 year) but started on the trails and this is my favourite venue hands down. I'm not very fast and actually since I got my HRM my pace has slowed even more. Obviously I won't be "using" it for the race but I will wear it to keep mefrom getting carried away to early on. Ran the course today, walked all the hills (up and down) and finished with a kick. I'll keep y'all posted once it's over....wish me luck and suggestions are always appreciated Smile
      Good luck, most importantly, don't forget to have FUN!! - Chris
        I argee wth Chris. Fun should be your number one goal. You didn't mention how long the race is but one thing to remember is to start out easy. Don't get caught up in the early excitement of the start and go out too fast. You will pay for it later in the race especially if it is a hilly course. Pour on the coals in the later stages of the race and enjoy passing those who didn't heed my advice! Big grin
        Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
        TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Have fun & congratulations! Big grin
          Find the fun.
            thanks Smile It's a 10k with lots of hills and some single track, no water thank god (unless it rains). I do intend to go out easy and finish strong and have a great time!!!!

dork.major dork.

Have a great time!! Looking forward to a triumphant RR.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Have fun dude! There's not much better than spending some time running in the woods, unless it's running in the woods naked. Smile I like your avatar, a Bernese Mountain Dog. I have an Entulbucher, or a Swiss Cattle Dog; same markings as yours, but different build. Great breeds.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

An Entulbucher?? Cool....we're looking at getting a swissie (sp?) someday.....they all look the same on different scales eh?
                    Good luck! Looking forward to a report.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ditto what others have said - enjoy the run! Let us know how it goes and what it was like.
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        Big grin Started slow as planned....not a soul behind me except the mountain bikes pulling up the rear. I'm thinking, "that's okay, you're built for distance, not for speed". The 5K XC high school teams started with us older 10K runners so it was hard not to "try" to keep up.....for some, not I. The conditions were perfect. Overcast and misty with a slight breeze. The course was one I run frequently with the dog and the hubby, but now I'm all alone (the hubby WAY ahead and the dog at home). No need for music or company though, I was working on my strategy for when to pass the only person I could see. As planned I walked quickly up ALL the hills (I'd say at least 6 big ones with a killer "sand hill" at the end)....my HRM never got below 175 (my easy runs are around 155), hitting an all time high of 200 at one point. I walked a few times, always keeping my man in sight. Lots of rocks, roots and even a hill made of logs....didn't phase me. I felt like a kid again, running through the bush. At about the 5K mark I thought " I wonder what a 50 would be like". I felt great, every once in a while a corner would turn me in the direction of a refreshing breeze. I kept my pace pretty steady, despite hearing the officials say into their walkie talkies "runners are through" after every exit off a loop. I knew where I'd kick it into high gear. Checking my watch I saw 1:00:00.....I had been hoping to finish in 1:15:00, only the sand hill left and about 1.5K after that. Walking up the sand hill I came upon "my man", he was trying to run it, I knew then I would not be last Smile. We got to the top at the same time and once I caught my breath I was gone. My legs were strong ( all the weight training) and the breathing was a bit of a struggle ( all the years of smoking Sad ) but I finished with a smile on my face and the energy to go even further if I needed to. My final time 1:08:31......way ahead of my predicted time and not too bad for my first Trail Race. Wink

dork.major dork.

Awesome! Way to play cool with your strategy and finish strong! Sounds like you might be hooked. Wink

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

t_runner

Great job beating your goal time! It was fun to read, makes me want to go out and hit the trails this morning! Smart strategy at the end there...
                              Great run, Dog! Way to go on keeping with your strategy and smashing your estimated finish time. Woot woot!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Carl A

Sounds like you had a great time and ran a smart race. Great job!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.