Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team-January 2009 (Read 475 times)

Why is it so much harder to run in grass? Is it a little like running in sand? Harder to "spring?" Kitrin
    The grass absorbs some of the energy that is normally transferred back up the leg.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin - Still keeping fingers crossed re the job for the Hub. Chris - I never did ask you how that all night run went for your group. And you have a running club with 1500 members?? Nice!!
      The all-night run was a blast! We wound up starting about 11pm and finishing a little after 5am. I think we did about 30 miles. Good group of people... odd too... only in a place like Boulder would 8 folks show up in 20 degree weather, on a weeknight, to run all night. Big grin Yeah, our "club" is really just a big email list... 1440 people as of today. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/BoulderTrailRunners/ No dues or officers or anything like that. If you lead a run you're a list moderator... that's about the extent of our leadership. :-) We have about 6-8 runs a week. There are some stellar people on the list too... like Dave Mackey, Anton Krupicka, current and prior Olympians, world trail running champions, etc. Humbling group for a slow fat guy like me, but very very very friendly people. The website is a work in progress, still rough around the edges: http://www.bouldertrailrunners.org/ - Chris
        Nice! You are very lucky to have so many folks from which to glean information. Our trail running group consists of me, my buddy, Karen, and sometimes our coach.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Uh, what the hell is your avatar?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Buddo-am I sensing some sort of transformation? Some new attitude? This is a side of Buddo we don't see often..is everything OK? Wink I think I like it-it's not offensive or obnoxious or anything. Speaking of avatars-what's the name of yours? I'm actually not running today. I feel like I'm going through a bit a life awakening process myself and I'm sore from Sunday's 17 miler that I was really too tired to be going that far from skiing all week and another 7 miles last night. I've got kid duty with a basketball game and a soccer game, dinner, the bed time routine etc. I'm not going to try and cram it all in. Chris, your club sounds really neat and good luck to Kitrin's husband-hope he gets the job. Keep thinking positive thoughts and start planning on moving! Leslie, how are you feeling? any news to report? Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Anti-Monkey Butt Powder. Too funny! Big grin
              Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                I'm assuming you're talking about mine? After my Forest Park run last year, and my ensuing, um, butt problems, Farmer Jim over on the 40s+ thread brought to my attention the Anti-Monkey Butt Powder. I got a kick out of it and showed it to the Hub. He then proceeded to bring home a bottle. They sell it as his work. He thought he was pretty darn funny. Evil grin Actually, it is funny. The label is a hoot! Kelly - Nice to hear from you. Hope things calm down for you soon. Well, I guess probably not until after ski season, huh? Re how I'm feeling - better the last couple of days. Sunday was the first day since 12/19 that I wasn't nauseated or in pain to some degree. Now it's sort of coming back, albeit at a low level. Have an appt. next Wed with the doc and will find out more then. Did 30 min on the stationary bike and 30 min of core/upper body this a.m. Am staying away from stressing the ankle in any way, shape, or form until Monday, and I can tell it's on its way to recovering. I tell you what, though, I know it's going to be hard hitting the road next week, let alone getting back to the trails the following weekend. Ugh!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg, This link will school you (it did me): http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/ Kitrin
                    We have a huge wildfire burning in Boulder right now... fueled by 70mph winds. It's totally out of control and has burned several homes. One of our club runs was supposed to be on that mountain at 5:30pm tonight... Hope they get it under control soon, before it burns about 500 1million dollar homes a half mile away. Edit: Looks like the winds shifted and spared the big neighborhood for now. More photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=57859&l=dd961&id=615607313
                      Speaking of avatars-what's the name of yours? Kelly
                      That's Will I Am or Wee little William, William, or Will. One of my boys. He made that face without cue while at Disney On Ice on New Years Day. I don't know where he gets his silliness from. Wink Both my boys tell me I'm their favorite dad, and call me Crazy for a nickname or proper name: "Hey Crazy, what are we doing today?" I love it. We are their fourth or fifth placement in foster care in the last 2-3 years. They're both great guys and we love them. I'll probably change it over to the other guy sometime in the near future. They're half brothers having differnet fathers, though they don't know it. They are both real good looking and are going to wound some girls hearts for sure. His brother is Andrew, blonde, blue-eyed, extremely intelligent. Yes Monkey Butt Powder. I can dig it. Cool Seem like my kind of guys. Chris-stay safe around that fire. That stuff can move fast and in an unpredicatble manner. Kelly, did you reach your mileage goal? 2700, right? Leslie- I sympathize with your nausea and pain. I've been sick for a couple of weeks now. Everthing seems to make me nauseous on some level and twist my lower gut into knots. Cutting back on carbs helps some, but I think I got some parasite or food poisoning over the holidays. I'm leaning towards parasite as it's stayed with me. Honestly, I think I had both over the holidays, first some bug, then food poisoning as my whole family got sick on the second episode. I heard on the news yesterday that there has been a samonella outbreak in 42 states this last week and the FDA doesn't know where it came from. I haven't been running for the last week or so. Got my focus all on the wrong stuff. I'm going out for a lunch time run today as it's clear and windy out. I got off into the lifting thing again, wrestling over my priorities. I realized I started running and doing chins and dips as a way to minimize my focus on exercise. Alas, that overwhelmed my focus as well. I'm going back to run today and keep the workout stuff to a needful minimum.

Greg - I applaud those who have the wherewithall to be foster parents. It can be a tough job, but it is so very important. They are lucky little guys. And might I say, you don't sound proud of them at all! Wink My fairly recently married cousin and her husband are fostering 3 children, and are in the midst of adopting them. Two are siblings, which is fantastic for them, keeping them together. I think two of them are 1 yo and one is 2 yo. Shocked Craig - WOW! on the fires! Keeping fingers crossed Mother Nature continues to cooperate. Beautiful pics, though. Thanks for sharing. Still riding the bike to nowhere. 45 min this a.m. w/about 10 min of core work after. Figured I was working my core while riding since I frequently change position from leaning on the handlebars to sitting up and slightly leaning forward. And I swing my arms fairly vigorously when in the upright position. Helps to keep the legs going and get the HR up there. Later!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Looks like Kelley was noticed this year. Great job and here's to another outstanding year. http://blog.irunfar.com/2009/01/best-debut-100-mile-effort-of-year.html
                          Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Chris, I hope the fires don't come near your home. Are they burning all those dead trees that you showed us in pictures earlier? I must admit that I was amazed to hear of an "out of control" blaze in January in CO. I would think the snow would stop it. What am I missing? I know I am missing something. Leslie, I bet you are verging on insanity on that bike. I know how much you love running and getting out in the woods. Hang in there! This, along with your stomach problems, are like a one-two punch. Why do bad things always seem to hit all at once? Sigh. That is a rhetorical question, by the way. Kelly, great job on getting noticed! You deserve it for the great race that you ran. I ran another 3 miles today on one of my familiar old trails. I did not pace myself well. I lost so much over the past month, not just endurance, but pacing skills too. I need to relearn the SLOW run. Otherwise, it was great to be on my feet in the trees. We had a high of 70 degrees today, so it felt like Spring/Fall. Weird. Texas weather never can make up its mind. One day is winter, the next Spring or Summer. Then, back to winter (on Saturday in this case). Cheers, Kitrin
                              Fires are now out. Burned about 3700 acres, I think... and 4 homes and 3 barns. Not bad, all things considered. The firefighters did an amazing job...those folks are just awesome. Thankfully, I don't live anywhere near the fires. I'm about 10 miles southeast, away from the foothills. I can't afford to live that close to the mountains... my house would cost 4 times as much! Big grin January fires are very unusual, but there's essentially no snow in Boulder foothills right now, which is fairly odd for this time of yea. We tend to not get nearly as much as the mountains just west of us though. It's been a pretty dry winter so far and we've had a bunch of "Chinook winds" that are warm, extremely high winds. Native Americans used to call them "snow eaters" because they could melt snow so fast (I've heard up to 2" an hour, but that seems like a lot). Buddo: That's really cool that you're a foster parent! What your provide for those kids is so critical... so that's just awesome! Leslie: Hope you keep feeling better. That long slow road to recovery is a pain sometimes, hang in there. Kelly: Awesome job on the debut performance award! I noticed my friend Andy Skurka is in there too! - Chris
                                Looks like Kelley was noticed this year. Great job and here's to another outstanding year. http://blog.irunfar.com/2009/01/best-debut-100-mile-effort-of-year.html
                                Great job Kelly! It's nice when people notice.