Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team-January 2009 (Read 475 times)

Kelly - Congrats on getting noticed! Woo hoo! Keeping fingers crossed people go to your race report and then check out your coaching site. Smile Chris - Saw on the news that things were under control. Even the newspaper were like, "Raging fire in January? In Colorado??" Confused I'm going to try some easy running tomorrow morning. Had a pretty bad bout of feeling terrible most of the afternoon yesterday, therefore, I thing I can still cling to my laziness as part of my current unstable state of health. Wink Actually, pushed the workout aside this a.m. to come to work early and clean, clean, clean! My work area is an absolute disaster. Have a good one.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I had no idea until I just read Tacoma's post! I'm flattered! The pressure is on now-I better work hard at getting this silly hamstring thing cleared up. Yes, it's still bothering me. I need a trainer to keep me honest. I didn't do much during Christmas week because I was wiped out from skiing-the cold, the wind, lifting kids, helping adults, skiing frontwards, backwards and sideways. One 9 yr old boy I had wanted me to teach him how to jump and do tricks even though he diesn't ski much more than maybe ten days a season. My feet don't leave the ground unless absolutely necessary. The best I could do was show him how to spin and that was more than enough of a challenge for him Wink. My excuse this week is that I'm having my VO2 tested Sat morning so I'm resting up. Honestly, I feel like I'm going through some life transformation in that I have to do some soul searching, clean my inner house and make some changes. To say any more would be too much information right now and it might prove that I'm some crazy runner Big grin. I stopped by the VT Teddy Bear Co today and applied to be extra call center help. If anyone orders a teddy bear for Valentine's Day it may be me answering the phone! Glad to hear the fires are out and that you are safe Chris. Awesome picture on Kickrunners. Leslie and Greg-I hope you're feeling better. Kitrin-get back out there girlfriend, you have some races coming up! Tacoma-welcome, post more often. I'm either going to balance my checkbook or make carrot soup before they freeze and rot in the garage. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes. Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        My excuse this week is that I'm having my VO2 tested Sat morning so I'm resting up. Honestly, I feel like I'm going through some life transformation in that I have to do some soul searching, clean my inner house and make some changes. To say any more would be too much information right now and it might prove that I'm some crazy runner Big grin.
        Have fun with the VO2 tomorrow, Kelly. And hang in there, girl, you'll get the rest figured out. Smile

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ooh, I'd love to hear your recipe for the soup. I love good soups. Where are you getting your VO2 tested? I would really love to get this done.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Boy, we all seem to be in the midst of crises. What's up with that? Kelly, if you don't mind, I would like to ask a favor on my sister's behalf. She called me today and we got started talking about Pilates and I know that you are an instructor. Do you know any decent Pilates DVDs that she could buy. She is very athletic and conscientious, so I know she will pay attention during a well-instructed video. She has a very busy life, with full-time work, two small children and training with Masters for open water distance swimming. I do not think she would have time (or money for that matter) to learn at a studio. Today was a beautiful, warm (if a little windy) day, so I took a bike ride with my exchange student. We pedaled at her speed, very slowly, but we stayed out for an hour and covered over 8 miles. I guess that is okay for an off day. Tomorrow I will try a longer run at a slow pace. I will see how far I can still go. Winters of all kinds (discontent, health, calendar) come to an end eventually. Time is our friend, dear ones, so hang in there. Kitrin

Ultrachick

Well, it did it to me again. I had a reply, I hit post and it vanished! What's with the time out thing? Sorry I don't make a living as a typist and I get distracted so it takes a few more minutes. Anyhow, Kitrin-I'm a fan of Stott pilates videos. They are very well taught, good workout, nothing crazy that may hurt you. But have your sister research mat classes where she lives. Sometimes the local rec departments offer them at a reasonable cost. Greg-my soup recipe is Ginger Carrot Soup from Cooking Light April 2001. Came out well and it wasn't hard. A friend of mine named Joey Adams has a business called Intelligent Fitness (he doesn't have a web site yet) is where I'm having my VO2 tested. His equipment is portable but he has it set up at a physical therapists's office when he's not traveling. He's sweet enough to test me for free and we try and send each other business. Joey is a biker and coaches a little bit. He trys to send the runners my way. Have a good day, I'll let you know how it goes.
                Morning everyone. I'm off to run a local 5k, using it as my tempo run this week. This is the shortest race I've run, by a factor of ten, in years... should be interesting. I'm trying to figure out whether to wear my Nathan or Ultimate Direction pack... also wondering if they'll have boiled potatoes at the aid stations. :-)
                Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, thank you SO MUCH for the recommendation. I passed on all your advice to my sister. As for me, I want to run today but the wind is ROARING and it is cold (31 degrees w/ 25mph and gusting to 35). I will probably go to a wooded, neighborhood trail that I know and see if it shelters from the wind. I hope so. Perhaps if I defer to after lunch? Chris, enjoy the 5K! I bet it will be tons of fun, however I don't think you should expect potatoes at the aid station. If they have hot chocolate, though . . . I better start being productive. Kitrin

Ultrachick

All right, some of the numbers are in....it wasn't as bad as I thought. Actually, when he said alright, test is done I thought 'wait I can go more' even though my HR was at 190 and I haven't had it that high since maybe last summer. Unfortunatley, I wasn't there long enough for the machine to register so my HR peaked at 189 and I fabulously recovered by being at 112 two minutes after. I was tested almost exactly a year ago and since then have put on 5 lbs so that lowered my VO2 max (bummer since I only put on this weight recently) so it peaked at 45.8-without the weight I would have been around 50. What does this mean? I don't know or care because all I'm looking for are the training zones. As predicted, I've raised the upper limit of zone 2 to 153. My zone 3 has shifted up to 154-166. This is the gray area of training where most athletes hang. Some training here is OK but below in Zone1 & 2 is where all the efficient, fat burning training effects take place and above zone 3 is the lactate threshold and speedwork. I'll get a full report within the next couple of days in which he'll also tell me I need more sleep and food. I had my resting metabolic rate tested as well. I need to eat (can or should eat) around 3000 calories a day with only a half hour of exercise that day. Well, I'm probably somewhere around 2000 so that's why my body won't let go of the 5 lbs I've put on. Timing of when I eat is important as well. Anyhow, I'll let you know what the report says when I get it. Time to get off my butt and enjoy the day! Kelly
                    Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I need to eat (can or should eat) around 3000 calories a day with only a half hour of exercise that day. Well, I'm probably somewhere around 2000 so that's why my body won't let go of the 5 lbs I've put on. Timing of when I eat is important as well.
                      I would LOVE to think that I need to eat more to lose weight, but I think you are in better shape than I am. Smile Thank you for the kick in the rear to get out running today. I suited up and headed to my long run trail to see how far/long I could go. Being a bit of a weather wuss, I layered up and planned to start very slowly for two reasons: to help me run longer and to prevent a bronchitis episode triggered by breathing cold air too deeply before I warmed up. Fortunately, I wore my Garmin and realized that this is why I bought the thing (for crying out loud!) so that I could pace myself better and keep track of my distances. I practically glued my eyes to the screen and refused to let myself run faster than 14:00 mile. Now, I know that is the same as a brisk walk, but I want to do the right thing here. After a few minutes of that, I could put my arm down and keep the slow pace. I abandoned my hat and gloves by 1.5 miles (good thing I wore the hydration belt) and started to settle in by 3 miles. I had forgotten how long it takes me to find my stride sometimes. Just one more thing I forgot over the past couple months of intermittent training. Eventually, I remembered how to gauge my effort too and I settled in for a longer ride. The second half of the run was much smoother and faster than the first (imagine that!) and I finished strong, though without the increase in speed that I like to do to show myself what I am made of. Considering the first part was mostly downhill and the return mostly up with some steep little hills and LOTS of roots and rocks near the end, I am happy that I finished with a pace below 12:00 mile. Final numbers: 6.51 miles 1:25:30 = 13:13 min/mile average. I'm happy! Kitrin PS I almost lost this when I posted. Good thing I remembered to copy it before hitting submit. You might want to compose offline and then copy and paste when you are ready, Kelly. This site does not give us the time we need!
                        Kelly - 3,000 calories?? Wow! Chris - How'd the 5k go? Hit the trails for 8.25 miles yesterday. Did much better than I anticipated, although my HR got up there pretty good a few times. The ankle is definitely sore after the run, but the rest of my feels great. It was absolutely gorgeous yesterday - it was suppose to be a high of 68 . . . somewhere, which is a nicer temp than we get during the summer months. Just goes to show that Mother Nature does have a warped sense of humor. So I have to share what happened yesterday while we were running. Okay - my buddy, Karen, is speaking at a friend's memorial service this afternoon. This woman was one of her best friends, and she died the day after Thanksgiving at the age of 47 from lung cancer. Never smoked a day in her life, but grew up in a smoking household. That's the background. So Karen's been nervous as heck about talking, and worrying that she'd start crying. Told her, so what? Gives you a good excuse to inject some humor by saying, "Hold on folks. I need to blow my nose or there'll be snot everywhere." Keep it simple, keep it the happy memories, and take deep breaths whenever you need to. Don't drink any dairy or caffeine beforehand, wear flats so you're not trying to bawl and balance on heels, wear waterproof mascara. So at one point in the trail, she has to use the bathroom. No problem, that's why we carry baby wipes and baggies. About an hour later, we caught up to our coach and we're all running together. About half an hour after that, she has to go to the bathroom again. Bill and I walk a little ways ahead to give her privacy. We're standing there talking AND we're downwind of her. Yeah, not a good place to be. Dang, girl! What the heck did you eat?? Pretty soon I hear, "Leslie, can you come here." Well, in all her nervousness, she has diarrhea and needs extra wipes. I tell Bill to go on if he wants, we're gonna be awhile, and he leaves. Then she says, "I need help!" She didn't look real well before she squatted, and consequently there were some fern fronds in the wrong position when she went to the bathroom, and while she's trying to clean up, the fronds, which now have poo on them, keep hitting her! She has poo on her shirt, up her backside, and every other way. I'm trying my best not to laugh, but it's impossible. She ends up having to strip her shirt off, and she turns around and I'm having to wipe various places on her backside where the fronds have smacked her, and in the midst of this, Charlie, her dog, decides he's going to walk through where she just went to the bathroom, and the fronds hit him in the face! I swear, there was poo everywhere! It was hilarious, and it provided the laugh she needed. Luckily, she had a jacket with her that she was able to put on, we got Charlie wiped down, too, stepped back into the trail, and there's some guy standing there with lime green sleeping bag over his head. Just standing there. I had seen him walk toward us, but he stopped just on the other side of the stump we were working behind. Charlie instantly goes into the defensive mode, and the guy's all, "Hi!" O...kay... We hoofed it out of there sort of quickly. Cripes - what a welcome back to the Arcata Forest!!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, you tell the CRAZIEST stories! I am so glad I know you, if only through cyberspace. Thank you for the laughs. You will do a great job as the RunningAHEAD Big Cheese. Kitrin
                            You have some crazy stories Leslie :-) That one actually reminds me of a story about Bob Roll, a famous American bike racer from the 90s. I'll try to find it... Pretty cool about the VO2 Max testing Kelly. I keep meaning to get mine testing. One of these days I'll get around to it... The 5k was actually fun. What a great way to get tempo in! It's so much easier to run hard with 1185 of your closest friends. Tongue I finished in 21:30, so averaged about 6:57, which I was happy with, considering it was freezing cold, windy, on a rolling course. Wound up in 83rd place. I'd be game to do more of them, but most are terribly expensive. It seems the going rate for a 5k in Boulder is about $35 (this one was only $15). I can't justify $12 a mile! Woke up to 6" of snow today with another 4" on the way. The forecast yesterday was calling for less than an inch. Decided to work from home and not waste 2+ hours in the car on the commute. Hope everyone had a great weekend! - Chris
                              Nice job Chris. That's a good time. Leslie, you and your friend have the craziest stuff happen to you, and it always seems to involve disrobing or unmentionable bodyparts. What gives? You be careful. You may want to look into a stun gun or something as it sounds like some unsavory people frequent that place. Isn't that where your car was broken into as well? Keep training everyone! This is when we build our fitness for the fun of the year ahead.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Chris - That does sound expensive for a little over 3 miles. Cripes . . . Yes, somehow or another, I do end up in some unusual situations. Would never have guessed it was possible if you'd known me 20+ years ago. Let's just say I've come out from under my shell, and it's amazing what kind of world is out there when you have the courage to look! Greg - Re the weirdos in the Arcata Forest - entire town of Arcata is filled with weirdos. Lots of "earth people," which is not necessarily bad, but baths once in awhile would be nice. Last year, the authorities went through the Forest and cleaned out a whole community of people who'd been living there, polluting the place. Since the clean out, we've had considerably fewer incidents of crazies walking around. However, Karen and I always have our pepper spray with us, and Charlie has no problem letting you know he thinks someone is a threat. Otherwise, he's a very friendly, happy dog. Don't forget, Humboldt County is the home of the tree sitters. Remember the infamous Julia Butterfly? She sat in a tree for 738 days. Don't get me wrong, I most definitely am for preservation of our forests and natural resources, but most of the people who come here and are wandering the streets of Arcata and sitting in the trees protesting are young people who want to opt out of society, but want society to give them everything they need. It's a real problem for the Arcata community. A couple of years ago, the "homeless" had virtually taken over the town square. The merchants finally had had enough and started their own campaign to take back the town. Oh, I could go on and on about how stupid the Arcata City Council is, but I won't. Let's just say I'm glad I live in Eureka. Wink

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance