Trail Runners

2 newbie questions (Read 274 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Newbie questions #1) What is trail running? I run on grass and dirt and gravel and beach, but most of it is alongside the edge of paved roads. I am guessing you all generally mean more running through the woods or places not next to a paved road? (I found a nice path thru woods, but, I'm not using it til after deer hunting season, which brings up my next question.) #2) Are some of you out running in the woods during deer hunting season? Doesn't that make you a little nervous?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

1. Trail running is running on trails, which is generally going to be in the woods but can be through fields and such. I don't consider running on grass along the edges of people's property as I follow a road (or any sort of shoulder of the road) trails, but if it makes you happy go right ahead. 2. I don't run in the woods during deer season. Not entirely coincidentally, I take about a month off from running during deer season every year. Hunting season is over up here in Maine, though, so I'm back on the trails.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I suppose "trail running" can be different things to different peoplke. For those looking to lessen the impact of foot with roadway, it could be along a shoulder of a road. But, to most of us, I think it means much more, as you suggested. It would take me awhile to try to define it, if I even could. I don't worry too much about the deer hunting - not real big in my area.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        thomas07

AmoresPerros; I look at trail running as being not on or near a paved road, so to me it would be a path, power line or state forest unpaved road, those are the ones that i run. as far as deer season, I wear an orange vest and pray a lot. Tom
            as far as deer season, I wear an orange vest and pray a lot. Tom
            Good one! I'd have to say that I consider trail running to be mostly running in the woods, although portions may definitely be on gravel roads, dirt roads, etc., and not next to or near a paved road or anything that has a whiff of civilization . . . sort of. Re deer season - haven't had to deal with that yet as the areas around here for deer hunting are not within my usual areas of running. However, I'd have to agree with Tom. Big grin

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OilCreek100.org

I ran all deer season - I just wear a lot of blaze orange and hi-viz green - no worries. I also use a blue or red bandana for wiping / blowing my nose as a white kleenex could be mistaken for the flick of a deer's tail to a hunter.

Beatin' on the Rock

I ran all deer season - I just wear a lot of blaze orange and hi-viz green - no worries. I also use a blue or red bandana for wiping / blowing my nose as a white kleenex could be mistaken for the flick of a deer's tail to a hunter.
                I took a day or two off during rifle season, but got sick of the pavement, so I wore an outfit to rival Zoomies winter gear and went for it. I don't even think twice during bow season. Those guys have to get pretty close, and I run early enough that they're not drunk enough yet to hit me. I hope. Blush
                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.