Trail Runners

If A Runner Falls in the Woods, Does He Make a Sound? (Read 225 times)

I took a small spill ysterday morning on my trail run.  

I felt myself losing my footing and tried to roll so I'd land on my side instead of my face (I'd rather break a shoulder than a neck) and while I wouldn't have been too happy I was doing all right until my head got stopped by a tree stump.

I rolled over onto my side, took off my hat and sunglasses, and remember saying something to the effect of "Ugh...that hurt."

I tried to assess my circumstances to figure out if I'd be able to run out of the woods or if I should lay in the trail until my wife caught up to me (we were running the same route but separately as I planned on running extra before she finished.)

Then I heard some mountain bikers and while I wasn't really worried that they'd run me over I've had bad experiences laying injured in the middle of a trail before so I sat up (I'd already determined neck and shoulders didn't hurt and I could wiggle all my fingers and toes) and started getting to my feet.

When they came by I waved and was greeted by this site:

I didn't know my head was bleeding until I saw my hand.

I didn't know I was bleeding until I saw my hand (which had been holding my head.)

The mountain biker was an athletic trainer/physical therapist so he did a quick test for concussion (What's your name, who's the president, what day is it, what did you have for breakfast, follow my finger with your eyes, let me check pupil dilation etc.) and I seemed coherent enough, so while he rummaged in his bag for some gauze I grabbed the camera so I could see how bad it was:

It was only a 1 cm cut.  Heads sure do like to bleed when given the opportunity...

This photo is courtesy of his girlfriend...I wonder what her thinking was, coming upon this laying in the middle of the trail?

I was a wee bit dazed from the fall and knock on the noggin' but thankfully no signs of concussion.

So, Tim/Tom (I misrecall his name, I thought it was Tim but think it might have actually been Tom) bandaged me up enough to let the bleeding stop a bit before I ran back along the trail to find Erin while him and his girlfriend rode their bikes behind me.

Thanks Tim for bandaging the head up enough that I could run the 2 or 3 miles out of the woods without losing too many vital fluids.

And yes, wearing a hat over a bandaged hat does look a bit ridiculous:

My hero!  Tim is an athletic trainer and physical therapist that heard me fall and rode over to see if I was okay.  And yes, a hat on top of a bandaged up head *does* look a little ridiculous.

It took me about 2.5 miles to run out of the woods...I could have probably done it in a bit under 2 miles, but running back up the trail a bit let me find my wife so that she could head back with me (we cut our runs short by a bit) and it let me take a much easier trail back. I wasn't dizzy or nauseated and had no trouble running, but we figured it was better to be safe(ish) than sorry.

We got back, figured out the local ERs aren't actually open on the weekends and we'd be best served going to Portland, and I went and had them clean me up and stitch my head back together.  It turned out to just be a 1 cm cut (head wounds do like to bleed) and nothing worse, but I did have quite a bit of dirt and gravel embedded in me and I don't fancy getting infected.  

So now the question is...will I be nervous next week when I get back to the trail, or will I be my normal fearless(ish) self running down the trail?  I guess this is why we practice a course ahead of time, to avoid problems like this slowing us down during the race.  First time I've hit my head on a fall though.  

And no - I'm not going to start running with a helmet. (Gotten enough of those types of comments on facebook.)

Anybody else running the Bruiser in September?  It's a fun course.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

At least you didn't damage your Garmin!

I usually focus a bit better after a gravity storm.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

under a rock

Wow, that's impressive looking!

I had a run back in June where I fell twice, no blood but a calf that is still slightly bruised two months later. I did a race a few weeks after the two falls and found I started off a bit timid going down the first few hills but after that I chilled out and got into my normal groove. Silly thing was that one fall was on flat ground and the other was a wet footbridge that I forgot to slow down for. So I'm not sure why the down hills made me nervous, I'm usually a downhill machine.

Oh, and both times I fell the first thing I checked was my Garmin.

Half Fanatic #846

Awesome photos, and I noticed that really nice shirt too! 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Awesome photos, and I noticed that really nice shirt too! 

I'd previously posted this in the swamp, on facebook, and linked to 'em from my blog, and you are the first person to point it out. Smile

Yup, nice shirt.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Top 'O the World!

the rest of us were too busy looking @ the blood!
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                You look like an ad for a B-rated movie.  You sure that blood's not fake?

Glad you're OK, that it didn't knock any sense into you, and that you lived to run another ultra!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance