Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - February 2011 (Read 290 times)

I haven't run in the Headlands since 2008 (?), but I definitely remember those places in some of your pictures, especially standing at the bottom of those stairs and thinking, "This is a cruel joke."  I did the 30k Pirates Cove then, in March I'll do the whole 50k.  I'm looking forward to seeing how much it sucks in comparison to what I remember.

I definitely remember coming down one portion and another runner is stopped with a guy who had been riding a bike and is now laying on the ground.  The runner tells me, "I think he's having a heart attack."  Well, I take off as fast as my slow, very tired legs will go, and when I'm within earshot of the aid station I started yelling as loud as I could and being totally out of break, "Help!  We need an ambulance!  Help!"  I had to sit down in one of the workers' car for a minute to gather myself back up.  Talk about using everything you have in your tank and then some!

Yes, the guy lived.  Long story short, he knew he was forcing the health issue, but decided to take a long, laborious bike ride instead of listening to his doctor.  Idiot.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

OK, here's some of mine, some are repeats from the Trail Run Photos thread:

Stairs above Pirates' Cove

Pirate's Cove from Coastal Trail

Muir Woods on Deer Park Fire Road

Muir Beach

North Bay from Miwok Trail

Rodeo Lagoon from Wolf Ridge--finish line

Coastal Trail between Pan Toll and Bolinas

Car wreck on Coastal Trail

Stinson Beach from Coastal Trail

San Francisco in the distance from Coastal Trail

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

That bunker in the distance in your 6th pic - it's pretty cool in there.  Used during WWII.

Yep, where you ran is where the Kate was 2 years ago, 'cause she mentioned that car and looking to see if there were any remnants of old bones in it.  She's sick that way.  Guess it's the doctor side of her. Wink

I'm remembering a couple of other views, as well.  *sigh* I hope the rain goes away before Saturday. Blush

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

That bunker in the distance in your 6th pic - it's pretty cool in there.  Used during WWII.

Yep, where you ran is where the Kate was 2 years ago, 'cause she mentioned that car and looking to see if there were any remnants of old bones in it.  She's sick that way.  Guess it's the doctor side of her. Wink

I'm remembering a couple of other views, as well.  *sigh* I hope the rain goes away before Saturday. Blush

Old bones. Heh, I like her already. I was trying to find out when that car wrecked but there's nothing on the Googlenet about it. I'm guessing it's from the 1950's, based on the parts I could see. 

I hope the rain goes away too, that's a tough enough trail when dry, it could be really bad in the rain. Just keep in mind, "what does not kill me, makes me stronger". Heh. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Also planning on keeping Trent's new mantra in mind - The only way to finish is to not stop.  The only way to finish is to not stop.  Rinse, spin, repeat.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Got home about an hour and a half ago.  It's a 4-hr drive from my brother's place, and it couldn't get over with fast enough.  Yesterday's 50k was a huge lesson in mental fortitude.  It rained the entire time, literally nonstop.  I haven't been this sore since my 50-miler last year, with both quads and my left calf pretty trashed.  I'll give more details later, but right now I'm pretty bushed.

Take care, friends -

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, Leslie, sounds like you had a heckuva day, and passed the test. Those trails are hard enough when dry, but must be really nasty when it's raining. Nice work! 

Please write a report when you can.

Thanks, Russ.  Will do!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

The King of Beasts

Got home about an hour and a half ago.  It's a 4-hr drive from my brother's place, and it couldn't get over with fast enough.  Yesterday's 50k was a huge lesson in mental fortitude.  It rained the entire time, literally nonstop.  I haven't been this sore since my 50-miler last year, with both quads and my left calf pretty trashed.  I'll give more details later, but right now I'm pretty bushed.

Take care, friends -

Ugh, thats hard to deal with.

Way to stay after it. Good Work.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Nice job Leslie...way to tough it out in harsh conditions!

Leslie, I just saw this. Way to push through. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus