Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - May 2008 (Read 273 times)

(copying my post from the end of the April's): Congratulations, Coach Kelly! I ordered the Garmin 301. I like the idea of the 5 extra hours of battery life compared to the 305. GPS isn't a big thing with me since I don't count the miles on trails, only the hours (unless it's an event, then I go into it knowing how far I have to run.) Hopefully, it'll be here in a few days. I'm also bidding on a Lemond RevMaster stationary bike on eBay. I'm not giving myself much of a chance, considering what my bidding limit will be, but keep your fingers crossed for me anyway. I've been wanting a stationary bike, and after talking to my PT Tuesday about HR training, etc., I have come to the conclusion that my aerobics DVDs aren't doing a damn thing for me. My physical fitness level is beyond what they do. Until I get a stationary bike, I'm trying to figure out what I can do for my cross training cardio. I work for an attorney on the side and he owns a local fitness club. I may try to wrangle some kind of deal from him so I can use the gym once a week to ride a bike. I don't want to pay $45/month for a once a week use.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Funny talking about the Garmin. I was running yesterday at a local place that has about 20 miles of trails on their property and ran into a friend (not literally) who was all bummed he just got the Garmin 4something and the moment he went into the woods it would cut out on him. Good luck on the bike-I've been wanting a spin bike at home also to cross train on during the winter. Jack thought about getting me one for Christmas last year but opted on diamond earings instead-I'll take those too! Big grin Sorry, more girlie coming out of me! I better go for a run and find some mud! Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        Good luck with your garmin. I have the 201 and the only time I use it is when I run around the track so I don't have to count laps. Anytime I take on a run with forest cover it loses signal and that is frustrating. This is in Washington and the trees are pretty thick so it may work better where you are.
          3 hours on the trails today, and I feel pretty good. Had a small bit of nausea at the end, but sucked on a piece of ginger candy and it helped (thanks, Arla and Cindy!). I'm still not eating or drinking enough, which is what is causing the nausea. The legs were pretty tired at the end, but I chalk a lot of that up to the intense PT Thursday, the 1.5 hour run on pavement yesterday, and then today. The Garmin - My 201 does the same thing - loses the GPS in the forest. But since I run mostly on time in the forest, it doesn't irritated me too much. We'll see how the 301 does. Well, now it's off to water the yard and then do transcription. Later!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I've decided my biggest obstacle to finishing this upcoming 50k is blisters. I didn't get any new blisters in almost 2 weeks, and yesterday I ended up with 2 on my big toes. Same place as always. I'm going to order some more Engo patches and apply them to the insides of both pairs of shoes. Right now I apply a Spenco blister prevent pad and then the knit tape over the top. Not enough. I also have these Spenco blue blister cushion things that I will try next weekend. Not sure what else to do. My coach participated in the Wildflower Triathlon at Lake San Antonio in Central California (my old stomping grounds). DNF'd at Mile 9 of the run due to severe dehydration. Said it was hotter than he anticipated, there was no wind like they were expecting, and he didn't take in enough fluid during the bike ride. Spent 2 hours with an IV. I guess it was in the low 80's there, and here in our part of Humboldt County, if it gets in the 70, people are passing out in the streets. Anyway, it's nice to know that even the experienced people screw up. It's not just me!! Big grin Have a good one, ladies and gents.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey, we all screw up. Glad to hear your backs not giving you trouble. You could try running in sandals. It's very freeing. You really don't need any kind of motion control, though cushioning is nice. I wasn't able to get any runs in this weekend so I ran 15 miles last night 8-11:30 pm. It was BRUTAL. Looped the Wissahickon Gorge. 5,500' of elevation gain and loss. My handheld's batteries went dead, so all I had was my headlamp, which made for some rough running. Lot's of rocks, poor fueling, my feet were killing me, rolling my ankles and twisting my knees...I was stumbling at the end. One of the tougher runs I've done in the last two years. I hurt all over today. Heard either a pig being sacrifced by satanists, or a hawk, not sure which. Tons of spider webs in the face. No moon and thoughts of homeless serial killers. I was glad when I was done. Relished in the feelings of fatigue as I soaked in the very hot bath, then lay in bed a little before sleeping. I love that feeling you get after completing a really tough run, satisfied but spent. I rember the shower after VT50...so nice. Same thing last night. Talk to y'all later.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Buddo - I'm reading your report and shaking my head. Were you one of those kids who gave his mother gray hair before she was 40??? Between Saturday's 3 hour trail run and yesterday's 1.5 hours of PT exercises, my legs were PO'd this a.m. It was a tough 5 miles, but I sucked it up and even did my required 8 steep hill sprints at the end. And then couldn't help going back again in my mind to just 3 short years ago, when I could have even conceived of that kind of physical exersion. Yup, makes ya feel good all over! Smile

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Big grin I'm literally laughing out loud. Totally, my mom was a nervous wreck when I was growing up. We still laugh about the time she went out to dinner with my dad and came home to find me on the roof. I was about 8. The babysitter had no idea. Needless to say, she didn't sit for us anymore. I used to like to climb to the top of the slide at the playground, then jump. Cool

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

You sound like my brother. Loooooooong story short, my dad finally told him one day (I guess he was probably in his early 20s), "See my bald head? See you mother's gray hair? It's all because of you." If he was a cat, he'd have used up all 9 of his lives, and then some, a very long time ago. Not counting what he did when he was a kid, as an adult he survived a pretty bad motorcycle wreck (let's just say he left more skin on the road than on his body), a really bad head-on collision that was his fault, and a 30-foot fall from an oil rig (landed spread eagle on his back in the middle of a bunch of upright rebar, and nary a one pierced him). Unbelievable.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

You sound like my brother. Loooooooong story short, my dad finally told him one day (I guess he was probably in his early 20s), "See my bald head? See you mother's gray hair? It's all because of you." If he was a cat, he'd have used up all 9 of his lives, and then some, a very long time ago. Not counting what he did when he was a kid, as an adult he survived a pretty bad motorcycle wreck (let's just say he left more skin on the road than on his body), a really bad head-on collision that was his fault, and a 30-foot fall from an oil rig (landed spread eagle on his back in the middle of a bunch of upright rebar, and nary a one pierced him). Unbelievable.
                      WOW.

WOW.
                        Exactly. I need to write a book. . . .

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I don't even have any kid stories to compete with you guys...yet.
                            I don't have any kids. I was afraid they'd turn out like my brother! Shocked Wink

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Long run today. 20 miles. Stayed on the flat trails as I wanted to put the distance in. Got up at 3, ran from 3:45-8:00. Hips hurt, feet hurt, had to walk during the final hour. Kept hr below 141 for first 10 miles, then below 150 for the return. Uneventful run. Just very difficult. Experimented with powdered kool aid in baggies. Worked good, though wicked sweet. Also ate some pizza, which was a treat. Big grin. Didn't see many people. I enjoy having the trails to myself early in the morn. Later folks. Got to use my new Golite hip sack with dual 20oz bottles. Real nice, little bounce.

Ultrachick

I ran 20 miles today too but all on dirt roads-nothing too challenging except a few hills. I had Amino Vital endurance formula to drink and 3 GUs. I was hungry by the time I got home and thirsty too. We have Mother's Day plans tomorrow so today was the better day to get my long run done. I was with Jack so I ran faster than I normally would on my long run. I'll spare the details-it wasn't a totally enjoyable experience.