Trail Runners

Gotta Love the Rain (Read 191 times)

As if trail running couldn't get any better, I got a complete surprise today. DH and I decided we'd go out and try to get a little bit of exercise before it really started to rain. Shortly after we started with what was just barely a sprinkle, it really let go and we were in a downpour! My initial thought was, "Oh rats", but you know, after it started and since it was 40 degrees, it not only wasn't bad, it was GREAT!!! I've never had so much fun in the rain! Big grin Ok, wet socks weren't all that wonderful, but since we weren't out long we didn't care. I was laughing cuz I looked over at DH and he was just drenched (like me) with hair plastered to his head. Now if I were to do that down the paved trail or the road, I don't think I would have liked it that much. We've lived here a couple years, I just started running in Jan, and I'm completely addicted to dirt (well, sand) now.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I love trail running in the rain. Especially gentle rain. The sounds, the smells, everything changes and softens. So long as you're not cold it's really nice. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

I love running in the rain, too, especially since that usually means cooler temps (at least here where I live)! And I got a very rare treat when a couple months ago the rain turned to snow! By the time we got home, the yard was covered with it!
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          Janell, that's a great way to put it! Everything "softens". Exactly. Landy, we really enjoyed being out in the snow this year too. We used to live on the east side of Michigan, and moved to the west side now, only 10 minutes from Lake Michigan. When we'd only get that slow, "wafty" kind of snow ocassionally on the east side, we get it all the time over here! Must have something to do with the lake. But whenever we went out, it was like we were in one of those snow globes! Some great runs!!
            Had a nice 3-hour in the rain today through the redwoods. It was a pretty consistent downpour, but the trees kept us from enduring the brunt of it. Made for some pretty mushy footing in parts. Had to use the hose the squirt all the mud out of my shoes!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

t_runner

Had a nice 3-hour in the rain today through the redwoods.
              I am jealous, that sounds like a wonderful run!! I had a rather unpleasant rain experience on Friday.. it was about 38 F and still/overcast, and I headed out for a 2 hour run expecting the weather to remain about the same. About 45 minutes in, I was startled to see lightning. A clap of thunder followed, then a steady downpour that lasted long enough to thoroughly soak me. It began to die down, but I was still soaking wet, and now it gets cold enough that the light drizzle that remained turned to snow. It was a bit more pleasant at this point, but my tights and the swishy pants that I had over them took another 30 minutes before they felt comfortable. Come spring/summer, I will enjoy running in the rain again.

It started raining as I left the house (driving) yesterday morning, and rained pretty hard on the way, but had died off by the time I got to the mountain. When we started the run it was sleeting, but that turned into rain within a few miles. It was a warm day (high 30s) so it was a lot of fun to run through; made the trail interesting since it was easier to break through the snow and ice. I took two diggers around 8 miles in, and was thoroughly exhausted by that point. Fun run.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I haven't seen much rain lately, but lots of snow! I enjoy nothing more than running in the snow before first light. The flakes muffle the sound and it's so quiet...perfect!
                  www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com