Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team-SEPTEMBER (Read 447 times)

Ultrachick

Happy Labor Day! Hard to believe it's September already. To continue our thread from last month..... My 30 miler went fine yesterday. I did a 10 mile loop 3 times which I thought was going to be more mentally challlenging than physically. After the first time, I was on auto-pilot the rest of the day. I stopped at my car in between which was something to look forward to. Funny thing was I did the second loop only 20 seconds slower than the first! The 3 rd loop was 4 minutes slower but I walked probably that long while I ate half a PB&J sandwich. I wasn't trying to do have even splits like that-I just kept moving to get it done. Total time was 5:29:52 for 30.3 +/- miles running. I turned my watch off when I stopped so total time was around 5:50. Woks for me! 3 weeks 'til my first 100 miler! Kelly
    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
      3 weeks 'til my first 100 miler! Kelly
      Big grin I'm so excited for you, I can hardly stand it. Jack gonna be your crew person? We could definitely do loops in the Arcata Forest, but we would have to sit and really study the map to figure out which trails added up to the correct mileage. I think the longest trail is less than 4 miles. Well, I guess I'd better get going to the BBQ. Blush Have a great Labor Day, all!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, Great job on the 30 miles. I agree with Leslie that it MUST BE NICE to have a 10 mile loop nearby. I miss the Auburn State Rec Area! I hope you know that we are all rooting for on your upcoming 100 miler. Sounds like you will not only finish, but finish well. I intended to run this morning, but ended up mowing the lawn instead. Our yard is on the larger side and it is mostly grass, especially the backyard. We will have some cooler temps and rain (remnants of Hurricane Gustav) coming in starting tomorrow, so I increased the priority level on the grass. I may still go out this evening, but definitely by Tuesday morning. Enjoy your Labor Day everyone! Kitrin
          Good luck on your 100 miler Kelly!! Which one are you running? Got in another 5 hour trail run today. It's miserably hot and humid (which is rare) today, so we were slow. Spent about 20 minutes in the creek afterward though, which felt really nice. - Chris

Ultrachick

I've entered the Iroquois Trail 100 in Virgil, NY. It's a new one this year. So far only 24 entries with 5 of them women-as long as I finish I can't do too badly! It's based around the Greek Peak Ski Resort. The RD has already emailed me asking if I had any special request for a pre-race meal and for the aid station food. I'm planning on being pretty self-sufficient in case things don't go as planned seeing as it's the first year for this. I've been having fun talking to Jack in Utah. It snowed there today! He's in Cottonwood Canyon and it's 33 degrees. This should make packing fun! Talk you all later, Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, The RD is taking food requests? Sounds a little like the last meal for a death row inmate, lol! Chris, I know what you mean. Hot + Humid = Slow running I did run today, as I promised myself, but it was not any cooler than usual. Those meteorologists are compulsive liars, I swear. I ran for time today because I was "exploring" a new area and ran for 1 hour. I know that does not sound like very long, but I think it is the longest time I have ever run. I'm kinda proud of it. I ran in my new shoes and I think that the left one is on the small side for my foot. I rubbed a sore spot (can't tell if it is a blood blister under the nail or not) on my second smallest toe. I do not want to return the shoes, but this has not happened with my old shoes that I used for a year or so. Granted, I do not think I ever ran for that long or that far before, but I wonder. Any suggestions from you guys? I will probably try taping the toes on my next run and see how that goes. So, once again, I am in awe of those who can run for hours. I ran for one and already have a foot problem. Sigh. Maybe I am just finding my "running feet." Kitrin
              Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I hope I am not overposting . . . I decided to do an experiment this morning and put on my older Asics. The same toe is rubbing in those too. Is is possible for feet to change when a person increases mileage? I know this is a total newbie question, but that is what I am. Is this like when I have to adjust the shirts I wear when I work out my upper body? Kitrin
                  Kitrin - First, stop apologizing, girlfriend! This is the place to ask all those questions. And running for an hour - good for you! There are people who couldn't (and wouldn't) walk for an hour, let alone run. Are you new to running period or just trail running? Regardless, it will take your body time to adjust. Running on trails is very different compared to road running. My feeling is it's much more taxing, but it is so worth it. Yes, your feet will change as you run. And with longer distances, your feet will swell to a certain degree. The rule of thumb that I was told was to buy at least one size larger than you usually wear. This will give your feet room to move and swell. It will make a big difference. I normally wear a 9, but I buy at least a 10 in my running shoes. And remember, when you're running trails, your feet will move more in your shoes, i.e. on the downhills, they'll be sliding forward. The larger size gives your toes the room to not be slamming into the ends of your shoes. If you continue to have blister problems, look at www.zombierunner.com and check out the kinesio tape. I use that in combination with these http://www.spenco.com/product/602-2nd-skin-square-moist-pads-1-inch and it works really well for me. With regard to the pads, you would have to buy from a dealer since they can't be purchased directly from Spenco. I can't remember off-hand which online distributor I used. Keeping asking questions. That's what we're all here for - to support one another.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Keeping asking questions. That's what we're all here for - to support one another.
                    +1 Smile
                    Carl A

Kitrin, I used to always get toe blisters and black toenails; I thought it was just part of running, until I read somewhere about shoe sizes and started getting size 11s instead of 10s. That little change has made a huge difference. Keep on experimenting, enjoying the process, and taking pride in your accomplishments! Kelly, It looks like we'll both be going for distance PRs on the same day - here's hoping it's a good one for both of us!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Had a MAT (Muscle Activation Technique) session today for my knee and hip flexor problems. Very, very interesting. If you don't know about MAT, you can read up on it here http://www.sports-injury-solutions.com/muscle-activation-techniques.html. It's hard to explain the difference I saw in the one-hour session I had, but it was pretty amazing. Here's hoping that between MAT and my PT exercises, I will be whole once again!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Kitrin, if those are brand new shoes, and I think you got them at REI, remeber you can trade them back in no questions asked. Run in them for 5-10 runs, then decide if they fit correctly. You have to break them in doing the type of running you will be doing in the shoes. If they don't fit, get another pair, no sweat! Yes

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin I agree with Carl A. Try a 1/2 size up from your normal shoe size. That, and Injinji toe socks cured my ongoing blister problems. REI carries them. http://www.rei.com/brand/Injinji I ran a trail race this past weekend. An out and back course over 4 mountains so it became 8 mountains to climb. It took me 4:24 to complete it. A new time PR for me. It kicked my butt though. I wrote a race report if anyone in interested. You can find it here: http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/search/label/wapack%20trail%20race Happy Trails!
                            Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                              Great job, Dan! Climbing can be a real &itch. My coach has me doing specific exercises during my trail runs to better prepare me for climbs. They're called steady states. I hate them, but they work. You need a long enough section of continuous, or almost continuous, uphill to accomplish them. If you run with a heart rate monitor, after an hour of running you slog (slower than a jog, faster than a walk) your way up a hill for 3 minutes at 80-85% max heart rate, i.e., my heart rate usually in 168-170 range for this. After 3 minutes, power walk for 2 minutes. Switch back and forth for 25 minutes, ending with the 2 minutes of walking. Finish your run. I do these once a week.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

My coach has me doing specific exercises during my trail runs to better prepare me for climbs.
                                Hi Leslie Thanks for the training tip. I'll have to try these. It's a little strange but I was a pretty good hill runner on the roads yet I stink on the trails. Dan
                                Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/