Trail Runners

Trail training for road races? (Read 196 times)

pitrunner

Good morning everyone. I'm new here, but have been running trails since I was in high school. I just recently got back into it though and I'm wondering why I ever left!

I'm currently registered for a marathon that is going to be partly road and partly "rail to trail" and pretty flat. But for most of my training I'm running super technical, hilly, single track (at least lately). I've been trying to train by time, rather than distance, but on the technical trails I've been running my pace is so slow that 3 hours only equals 13-14 miles. This weekend, come hell or high water,  I'm going to try and get my trail run up to 16 - which might be close to 3.5 hours. But that's really where I had intended on maxing out my long run.

I have noticed that my pace on the roads has generally improved and they feel so easy now.  So am I helping myself by training this way or hurting myself by not getting in the mileage? Is 3.5 hours on my feet a good thing no matter where it's done and how much ground I cover?

I hope someone understands what I'm asking; I don't think I've done a good job of explaining myself!

FWIW - this is my first marathon. My main goal is to finish and not re-injure my posterior tibial tendon in the process. It's been almost a year since it first started bothering me and it's only been just recently that I've even been able to get my mileage up again. It still flares up from time to time, which is indicated by the gaps on my log

Ultrachick

Hi Pitrunner, I think I know what you're asking-is it OK to train on trails for a road event?

My coaching words of wisdom is to get some road miles in so your body can adapt to the impact. The fancy term is Specificity of Training-train for what the event is. The trail time is fine and good cross training in a sense-less wear and tear however pounding the pavement is a bit tougher than pounding the dirt. I would get your long runs out on the pavement or similar terrain to the event and do some of your shorter runs during the week on the technical trails you've been running on. On the pavement, I'm sure you'll find yourself going faster because you have better footing and then you'll get your long miles done in a more reasonable time. I like to train by miles and not just by time because the paces are so different from road to trail. Also, more of a mental thing knowing I've gone the distance in training.

Hope this helps, welcome back to the world of dirt and good luck at the marathon! Let us know how it goes

Kelly

Coach Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Hi Pitrunner - Ultrachick/Kelly is a good resource.  She knows her stuff.  I agree that you need to train for the terrain on which you will be running.  If the marathon is basically flat, but you've run nothing but technical, hilly stuff, your legs are not going to be used to the pressures of flat terrain, and it IS a completely different pressure from hills.  Your body also needs to have experienced running long distances on the asphalt as the impact is completely different than dirt.

Also, don't worry so much about the time.  Get the miles in on your legs.  If, for instance, the longest run you've had was only 3 hours but come race time you end up being out there 6 hours, your body is going to be completely unprepared for the added 3 hours of stress.

That's just my 2 cents worth.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance