Trail Runners

Goblin Valley 50k (UTAH) anyone? (Read 293 times)

My husband and I just sent our registration in, they are due by Oct. 16. The run is in 2 weeks. Anyone else planning to go?
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Not this year, but I've done it before (it was my first ultra actually). Great location... southern Utah is awesome. If you can take an extra day or two, you ought to check out the slot canyons in the area! There are some world class slots literally right on the Little Wild Horse Canyon road (the race course).
        These make a nice loop hike/run: Little Wild Horse canyon: Bell Canyon: Check out: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/ (San Rafeal Swell area) - Chris
          Oooh - another "Wish List" run. Keep the ideas coming. And have fun, Trails! Anybody know if some good runs in New Mexico? The Hub and I spent 3 weeks tooling around NM a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place. Absolutely gorgeous.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Not this year, but I've done it before (it was my first ultra actually). Great location... southern Utah is awesome. If you can take an extra day or two, you ought to check out the slot canyons in the area! There are some world class slots literally right on the Little Wild Horse Canyon road (the race course).
            Too bad you can't make it Chris - And yes, we're staying an extra day and planned to hike Little Horse Canyon. I've wanted to experience a slot canyon for ages - and this will be my first.
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              Oooh - another "Wish List" run. Keep the ideas coming. And have fun, Trails! Anybody know if some good runs in New Mexico? The Hub and I spent 3 weeks tooling around NM a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place. Absolutely gorgeous.
              Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. I love Utah, after going to Moab a few years ago and dirt biking and mountain biking around there. As for NM - this is on my list, at least for now, unless somtehitng a little more scenic pops up : http://www.highaltitudeathletics.org/JemezMt.htm#Entry It looks tough, but aren't they all Wink
                It looks tough, but aren't they all Wink
                9,500 feet?!? Holy crap! I think this sea level slug would die of oxygen starvation. Smile

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Another good Utah race is the Moab Red Hot 50k+ in late February. It doesn't have a ton of elevation gain, and it takes place around 5000' of elevation, so not too high, fatozzig. It's so nice to leave the snow behind and get out into the desert for the weekend! A lot of the race is over slickrock too, which is pretty cool to run on (sort of hard on the ankles though!) Good luck at Goblin Valley, trails2run, and enjoy the slot canyons! - Chris
                    Chris - question for you about the Goblin Valley route - do you remember if there was a ton of sand? I'm expecting some sand, and some slickrock-type surface too. Or should I expect something different? thanks!
                      Checked out the canyoneering web site. Looks like tons of fun in Utah! 5,000 foot elevation isn't too bad. I felt it slightly at Susanville, but not like at Mt. Ashland when we were at 6,000 to 7,000 feet. Dead

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey trails, No slickrock at all on that course. It's all jeep road, except for a tiny bit of pavement in the park, and the short loop through the "Goblins". The year I did it (2006) they had a ton of flooding the week before the race, so there wasn't much sand (well, there was sand, but most of it was packed down, plus they ran a grader down the road before the race to smooth it out), but during a dry year I could see where it would be sandy. I didn't have gaiters at the time, but I could see where they might be nice to keep out the sand and rocks. Here's my photos from the race: http://www.chrisgerber.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=164 Handy tip: You pass some really nice heated restrooms at mile 1 or 1.5... good spot to stop if the one port-o-john at the start has 50 people in line, like it did the year I ran it Cool
                          Chris - thanks for the trail info. And the photos - as usual, they seem to capture race day well. After seeing them, I feel like I've been there - but I can't wait to see it all myself next week.
                            5,000 foot elevation isn't too bad. I felt it slightly at Susanville, but not like at Mt. Ashland when we were at 6,000 to 7,000 feet. Dead
                            Yeah - I know I'll feel at at this run, but not too much. Right now, I'm thinking my time should be between 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours. My best 50k time was last years' Glacial Trail at about 8:45, so I'm looking to beat that as my goal.
                              It's a really fast course... so you should be able to rock your time... good luck!!!! - Chris