Trail Runners

Big Sur Trail (aka Dirt Road) Marathon (Read 150 times)

I finally wrote up a report, such as it is.  If you're interested, you can find it here: Big Sur Trail Marathon

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kudos to you for finishing. I think your time is great for a hot trail marathon. Rest and look forward to the cooler temps we're finally getting.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      t_runner

Wow, that sounds like a doozy.  Good mental training no doubt!  I was contemplating this one next year - is that weather typical or did you just have bad luck?  Thanks for the report.  The hills would do me in even more, since I'm only a wannabe CA trail runner.  I have learned you can't train for CA hills in OH (but I keep trying).

t-runner - California was in a bit of a heat wave the week prior and that weekend.  Even here in Eureka people said it was hot, but of course of us "hot" is like 70.   A lady at one of the aid stations said last year it rained during the entire race, so go figure.  I kept watching the weather hoping things would turn at least a little crappy weather-wise, but no such luck.

It's definitely not a technical course by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a lot of climbing, which means you gotta go down.  The only way I figure you can train for hill work when you live in Flat Land is to find something like a steep overpass or get on a treadmill and raise it as high as it will go.  And lots of quad strength training with lunges, step ups, etc.

Besides the medics and Tim, the water running aid station worker, and, as always, the wonderful aid station workers, for the first time I just couldn't come up with anything positive about the run.  The heat took all the joy out of it.  I felt worse at the halfway point of this race than I have at the end of any race in a very long time.  If I could count on weather cooperation, I would go back and try, try again.  But with Central California (I grew up 2 hrs south of Big Sur), it can be a crap shoot weather-wise this time of year.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

Wow, that sounds like a brutal race. No breeze and being exposed to the sun for that long is not an experience I'd want to live through. I tip my hat to you for sticking it out! Glad you made it through safe.