Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - February 2010 (Read 500 times)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Spent 5+ hours running through the woods last night - what a hoot!

Managed to get a friend to join me (I usually train alone). We set out just after 11pm.

Snow was about 8-inches deep. We tended to stick to trails that had already been visited by snowmobilers or x-country skiers, so our footing wasn't terrible (but still quite challenging).

The nearly-full moon wasn't of much use, as the thin overcast thickened. But, we only needed our lights occasionally to read trail markers and such.

Absolutely LOVED being able to run through the woods without having to be overly vigilant about footing. OMG - I could actually look around and enjoy the scenery!

Liz

pace sera, sera

under a rock

I ran my first half marathon Saturday at the Xterra Georgia Thrill in the Hills.

Quick report:

Time goal: 2:30 (super secret goal 2:15)

Official time: 2:14:44

AG 35-39: 9/27

Overall: 222/390

The race went well considering after mile 8 my IT band decided to flare up and cause pain on the side of my left knee. I had planned on kicking it into race mode around that time and this development was a hindrance to that plan. I came up with a plan of walking the hills and running as fast as possible in between hills, running slow bothered it as much as the hills. I had to stop and stretch at least 5 times in miles 9 through 13, two times in the last mile. I probably lost about 5 mins due to the walking and stretching. It was so frustrating because stamina wise I was fine, had lots left in my legs and lungs. Hopefully next time I'll get it right. I really can't complain about my time considering I made my super secret goal even with the problem that was thrown my way.

The side of my knee is very sore today. I'll be taking at least a week off and then cutting my mileage in half once I can run again. I see a lot of swimming in my future for the next week or two. I hope I can get this nipped in the bud really quick. I blame my IT band problems this time on too much time on the treadmill and roads the past three weeks.

full blog report here

Happy

I ran my first half marathon Saturday at the Xterra Georgia Thrill in the Hills.

Quick report:

Time goal: 2:30 (super secret goal 2:15)

Official time: 2:14:44

AG 35-39: 9/27

Overall: 222/390

The side of my knee is very sore today. I'll be taking at least a week off and then cutting my mileage in half once I can run again. I see a lot of swimming in my future for the next week or two. I hope I can get this nipped in the bud really quick. I blame my IT band problems this time on too much time on the treadmill and roads the past three weeks.

full blog report here

I'll read the full blog report a little later (after work, sigh) - but just wanted to quickly give you a BIG congratulations on the great achievement  Good job RLaG!!!!!

Ashley, I am cheating by adding this to my previous post - but, you get it. Read your full report - wow, this race today was a big deal and something you had long anticipated and dreamt of doing. There is nothing better than the feeling of achieving a goal that you've worked hard to do - you deserve your GREAT TIME!!!! Wonder what you could have done had the IT band not started to complain so loudly out there? You know, the body always speaks to us and going the longer distances take their toll on the body; I know distance is one of the things my body has the hardest time recovering from. Always takes several days before I start to feel normal again. Pushing the pace during a long distance race (and there is nothing HALF about a half marathon; it is a long distance) puts even more stress on the body. You seem to know how to take it easy and do the right thing - that's the amazing thing to me. I always get very frustrated and irritable and impatient whenever my body needs a little extra TLC. So, yes, take it easy the next week. You wrote in your blog that you like to swim - sounds like the water may be a good way to go - have you tried water running? 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

Spent 5+ hours running through the woods last night - what a hoot!

Managed to get a friend to join me (I usually train alone). We set out just after 11pm.

Snow was about 8-inches deep. We tended to stick to trails that had already been visited by snowmobilers or x-country skiers, so our footing wasn't terrible (but still quite challenging).

The nearly-full moon wasn't of much use, as the thin overcast thickened. But, we only needed our lights occasionally to read trail markers and such.

Absolutely LOVED being able to run through the woods without having to be overly vigilant about footing. OMG - I could actually look around and enjoy the scenery!

Buzzie, this sounds very exciting - please, keep us updated on all your adventures; I am inspired!!!!!!!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

I got my long-run done today; I took to the trails around 8:15 am and stayed out there for the next 4 hours and a few minutes. I was pretty focused on my run most of the time and I feel I played it smart by not pushing the pace - tried to stay comfortable without doing too much of a slow shuffle - kept an eye on my form.

I didn't feel any zap in my legs when I started - this disappointed me as my week had been good and I expected to feel fresher, especially in the beginning of the run. Feeling a little less fresh may have helped me focus on keeping the pace in check. I had to change shoes and shed some clothes and shuffle some gear around every time I got back to my car. A few bathroom stops during the event as well. All in all, I was able to run 5 miles per hour including the time I took to fuel and do all the other things at the car.

I am happy with this as it is my goal to be able to sustain 4 mph for the duration of my next Ultra in Lynch's Wood in April. I will aim for 40 miles or 12 hours on the trail that day. If I don't feel OK anymore after 50K (31miles) I will allow myself to quit at that point. I don't have any other events leading up to it that would serve as trial events so I don't want to break myself on the first Ultra of the Season. If I can continue to keep my current pace past the 20 mile mark I may be able to run 31 miles in a lot less than I did last year. These are projections - I did feel substantially more tired at the end of my run today than I did 10 miles earlier but I didn't hit the wall like I sometimes do when I get to 18-19 miles. I felt good about not hitting the wall today.

Maybe it is working better for me to have 10 days between long-runs rather than 7 days? 

The weather was ideal and gorgeous - it was a wonderful morning and I treasured every minute of it. I knew I would regret that it ended when it was time to go home. However, I also remember how I used to feel terrible doing my long-runs by myself when I started doing them a few years ago - I wanted to get it over with sooooo bad. Now, I guess I have learned to tolerate myself and my own company better. 

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

The weather was ideal and gorgeous - it was a wonderful morning and I treasured every minute of it.

Flower - sounds like you had a great run despite the stale legs! It also sounds like you made really good time. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if the additional time between long runs is helpful. I've taken to alternating weekends for really long runs (time on feet) and shorter long runs (focus on performance) - we'll see how it goes.

As for my night run - I had a blast. It was nice to run with someone - made everything a lot easier and the time flew by. The snow was fun this time (instead of an ankle-busting chore), but our pace was absolutely glacial.

Liz

pace sera, sera

under a rock

Your night run sounds like it would be absolutely beautiful (and cold). One day I'll have to try a night run, though down here it won't be in the snow.

under a rock

You seem to know how to take it easy and do the right thing - that's the amazing thing to me. I always get very frustrated and irritable and impatient whenever my body needs a little extra TLC. So, yes, take it easy the next week. You wrote in your blog that you like to swim - sounds like the water may be a good way to go - have you tried water running? 

I look at it this way, I'd rather take a week off from running than have to take off even longer  later down the road or even risk not being able to run at all. I'll use the first part of the week to do some deep house cleaning. Mid-week I'll start swimming. I have done water running in the past but haven't needed to in a long time. The Y where I swim has everything I need for water running. I'll probably start with just swimming, doing mostly pulls so I don't have to use my legs. I really hope that next Sunday I can do a short run successfully. This morning my knee is significantly less sore, so my worry is starting to lift. If this hadn't been my first half marathon I probably would have finished at a walk, but I don't think I could have lived with the disappointment of finishing my first half marathon that way.

under a rock

The weather was ideal and gorgeous - it was a wonderful morning and I treasured every minute of it. I knew I would regret that it ended when it was time to go home. However, I also remember how I used to feel terrible doing my long-runs by myself when I started doing them a few years ago - I wanted to get it over with sooooo bad. Now, I guess I have learned to tolerate myself and my own company better. 

That's great that you have learned to enjoy your own company on long runs. Being able to look back and see progress made  in so many areas is such an awesome feeling.

Happy

Flower - sounds like you had a great run despite the stale legs! It also sounds like you made really good time. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if the additional time between long runs is helpful. I've taken to alternating weekends for really long runs (time on feet) and shorter long runs (focus on performance) - we'll see how it goes.

As for my night run - I had a blast. It was nice to run with someone - made everything a lot easier and the time flew by. The snow was fun this time (instead of an ankle-busting chore), but our pace was absolutely glacial.

Running with someone else can certainly make time fly by - sounds like you had fun in the snow and in the dark; you two must have been a sight with your headlights in the woods 

Thank you for your encouraging words. I appreciate you sharing how you do your long-runs. Reserving other runs for more performance related workouts is the way I am working right now; in that way, there is no pressure to push the pace during the long-runs; they become exercises in staying on the feet for a long time and all that it encompasses. TIme to practise food/fuel/gear and walk/run strategies and deal with rough patches and negative thoughts that might occur. I want to get up earlier and try staying out there for longer than 4 hrs in the near future; it should be possible to kick myself out of the bed when it starts getting a little warmer and lighter earlier in the morning. Going to bed earlier might make it easier too