Trail Runners

Neo-Trail runners Extreme team-March 08 (Read 295 times)

Preview: First, only one day off a week, Sundays. Second, back-to-back long runs Fri/Sat. Fridays, road, 1 1/2-2 hours; Saturdays, the hours vary every week. Third, lots of hill work this time around. I have a bugger of a hill right at my house that I've been avoiding like crazy. Guess what I get to run at the end of my runs? Fourth, cross training and strength training added in there (which I've been doing, but it's gonna get more intense), and I should be getting a whole routine that includes the Bosu I just bought. I just have to remember to eat well and let go of my Weight Watcher mentality. It's a bit of a hinderance, hard to overcome. I know a lot of people run 5-6 days a week, but this will be a first for me. However, I'm looking forward to all of this, though. Gonna show me what I'm really made of!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sounds like a sweet schedule actually, exactly what I'm moving towards as I build up my miles. If you want to look at a seriously scary schedule check out Anton Krupicka's mileage at antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/ Guy runs 170-220 miles a week in the mountains. Excellent runner. Ultrachick is right. In few months you will be thanking your coach.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

If you want to look at a seriously scary schedule check out Anton Krupicka's mileage at antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/ Guy runs 170-220 miles a week in the mountains.
        Uh - no thank you . . . Dead

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well, it's the last day of March so we'll keep this thread going. Let's hear everybody's weekend trail stories! Saturday. Normally I get up early and go running. I must have messed up setting my alarm though as it went off late. I was leaving at 8 am to go to York, PA for a birthday party so I had to delay me run till later in the day. Well, I didn't get off till that evening when I was back at home. I was finally able to get to the woods at 10 pm. I wore my Black Diamond head light and carried my Mini Mag lite which I've converted from a regular bulb to a three bulb halogen. Worked awesome! The woods were lit up in front of me beautifully. The evening was very cool, clear and crisp. It was really serene. I scared up about a dozen dear. I would see the green reflection from their eyes when my lights would hit them. Some came within 20 yards as they were running and jumping through the woods. Further on, deeper into the woods, I ran under an owl hooting away. I shone my light towards him but couldn't see anything. Further along again I could hear a bunch of yute's partying on the other side of the gorge and could see their campfire. I wondered if they could see my lights as I moved through the trees? I descended into the gorge, ran along a road at the bottom for a half mile or so and then climbed back up to the rim. As I climbed I was ascending behind the Valley Green Inn, a Philadelphia historic site, an old Inn on Forbidden drive, that used to serve as a stagecoach stop. I know the diners could see my lights as I moved through the woods climbing. They probably thought I was crazy but that's okay. I had a blast and couldn't thing of anything better to be doing on a Saturday night. I only ran fro two hours which is my longest run to date as I'm building my miles back up. 7 miles, 2500' of climb and descent. Pretty good workout for the legs. I didn't realize there was that much elevation in my normal run. Thank you Lord for the GPS unit. I got sceeved out a few times, thinking there might be some crackhead in the woods with a knife, as the park is within Philadelphia city limits, but let it go. I was alone the whole time and I can't wait to do it again. Sunday, ran the Green Ribbon Trail through the woods near my house, following the Wissahickon Creek. First day of fishing season apparantly as there were MANY men out fishing in the creek. Interlopers! Where were you when it was 20 degrees out and sleeting?! Hopefully they won't be around later. Might have to get nasty with them. Brought my dog Yvetta with me on both runs. Trying to get her in shape. She's loving it. Great dog. I took a picture of her with my cell phone, but I don't know how to get pictures from my phone to the computer. Oh well. I WILL carry my camera with me in the future, I PROMISE! A real nice weekend of running. Feeling good about getting back into it and can't wait to build up to longer runs again. Let's hear from y'all now. What'd you do, how was it?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Well, I still have some snow and ice to deal with so no trails yet. The best I can do is dirt roads. I'm getting ready for Boston and made some changes to my schedule in that I ran 26 miles on Friday-the whole schedule thing is a long story. I ran 4 miles inside and 22 miles outside in a spring snow storm of sorts. The kind where the wind is howling from the north, the snow is flying but not really accumulating anywhere. The loop I run, for the last 5 miles or so I've got the wind in my face which is just lovely after 17 miles already. I wore one of my son's snowbaording hats because it has a visor to keep the snow from pelting me in the face. Saturday was my last day of teaching skiing-thank god no more 3 year olds! Saturday was windy too and I had had enough so I didn't run. Sunday was much calmer and Jack had some friends come over and run our 20 mile loop. I only did 13. So now I'm in taper mode for Boston. I will get some trail time in this coming weekend-we're going to CT to the Northern Nipmuck 16m Trail Run. I'll let you know how it goes. Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.