Trail Runners

Trail Shoes...do I need them? (Read 240 times)

I started running on trails once a week for my long runs. The route is 99% flat and the surface is crushed granite with no roots or obstacles. I think my normal road shoes will suffice. But, I could be wrong.  What a good shoe for this type of trail? I prefer a trail shoe that close to the same support as Asics Gel-DS or 2150. Any ideas?

I don't think you need special trail shoes.  I would say only try trail shoes if you notice a problem or incovenience with your regular ones.  After trying several trail shoes, I'm now using my "road" shoes ont he trails. if what you currently wear has a fairly wide open mesh (like mine) you might end up getting very dirty socks/sand into your shoes. Gaiters will help a little, but not completely (check out Dirty Girl Gaiters - HERE).  I wear them on all trail runs (except when I wear my VFFs) and rarely have a problem with stuff getting in my shoes.

Happy trails !

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

I don't think you need special trail shoes.  I would say only try trail shoes if you notice a problem or incovenience with your regular ones.  After trying several trail shoes, I'm now using my "road" shoes ont he trails. if what you currently wear has a fairly wide open mesh (like mine) you might end up getting very dirty socks/sand into your shoes. Gaiters will help a little, but not completely (check out Dirty Girl Gaiters - HERE).  I wear them on all trail runs (except when I wear my VFFs) and rarely have a problem with stuff getting in my shoes.

Happy trails !

I get dirt and sand in my shoes. I have to stop sometimes to dump out the debris.  My feet get wet when I run around a puddle a go through hidden puddles in the grass. Are trail shoes water and dirt proof? I haven't researched.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Dirt and water proof? Generally, no.

There are some "water resistant" shoes - typically GoreTex. But, they're heavier than standard shoes and seem to run hotter (sweatier). Most seem to prefer shoes that drain well versus shoes that keep out water. If the water goes over the collar of the shoe, your feet will get wet anyways.

As for grit, again, that's a trade-off for ventilation. Most well-designed trail shoes will be a bit more impervious to grit (vis a vis mesh inserts). But, your best defense is likely a pair of gaiters - again, to catch the stuff that would come in via the collar of the shoe.

If yer gonna run trails, yer gonna get wet and dirty.

Liz

pace sera, sera

I know they sell shoes made out of goretex-basically waterproof, I think.  But stepping through puddles, creeks, and even rivers, is part of what defines trail running - I don't think shoes should be waterproof, because you want them to drain that water out.  This is one of the benefits of my road shoes, with all the open mesh. I tend to get hot - even my feet sweat a lot, so I want a very breathable fabric.  I also don't have extremely cold or wet weather where I live, though.

Dirt and Sand, on the other hand, may cause blisters on longer runs.  You may want to look for a shoe with a finer fabric to prevent the sand - sounds like that could be a problem.

Maybe others will weigh-in with their thoughts???

MTA: Buzzie beat me to it!

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado