Trail Runners

WELCOME! (Read 1060 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow, six new members! Welcome everyone. I'm guessing most of you found your way here through the 2000 mile all american wormhole. If you have a question, post it and we'll discuss... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks for your Welcome message, Lynn. Hope your run in Bighorn goes well. Keep us posted on how it goes.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        Thanks, Lynn! That and reading the race reports from RockinMom and Mississippi. Sounds like fun. As an aside, I met a couple folks from NTTR at one of the recent Dallas Running Club races. A girl named Robbie (who is a former coworker of mine) and a red-headed woman. They both told me to get off the road and on the trails. I'm just looking into the whole trail running thing for now, I need to get a marathon or two out my system before I get bitten by the trail/ultra bug. Reading the race reports that you and others write are inspiring to say the least.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks for the welcome Lynn!! I think you'll like trails Mike! I've ran all my runs this week on trails. None nearly as tough as the race I did, but enough for a good workout.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks, Lynn! That and reading the race reports from RockinMom and Mississippi. Sounds like fun. As an aside, I met a couple folks from NTTR at one of the recent Dallas Running Club races. A girl named Robbie (who is a former coworker of mine) and a red-headed woman. They both told me to get off the road and on the trails. I'm just looking into the whole trail running thing for now, I need to get a marathon or two out my system before I get bitten by the trail/ultra bug. Reading the race reports that you and others write are inspiring to say the least.
            Lotsa of great folk in NTTR! Here's a link to our website....www.nttr.org Many in the group run the NorthShore trail on Lake Grapevine regularly (Wed evenings and weekends), but there is a lot that like the Cedar Ridge Preserve down by you...it's great cause it is closed to bikes and it has great hills...but no good when it's wet. Glad all you guys/gals are here! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks for your Welcome message, Lynn. Hope your run in Bighorn goes well. Keep us posted on how it goes.
              Hey Landy, you planning on doing any volunteering at Western? You should definitely plan on visiting the High School at Auburn (finish line) to catch some of the action...first place will likely be at the finish before too late on Saturday evening...Sunday morning is also a good time to watch mid/back of the packers finish up... There is also a good place to watch runners come through at the Foresthill school, or no-hands bridge (very close to you). If you want to go a little further, Michigan Bluff is another good place to camp out and watch. Lynn B

Hey Landy, you planning on doing any volunteering at Western? You should definitely plan on visiting the High School at Auburn (finish line) to catch some of the action...first place will likely be at the finish before too late on Saturday evening...Sunday morning is also a good time to watch mid/back of the packers finish up... There is also a good place to watch runners come through at the Foresthill school, or no-hands bridge (very close to you). If you want to go a little further, Michigan Bluff is another good place to camp out and watch. Lynn B
                Yep, I'll be there. We usually go up to FH and/or MB to watch the runners come through around dinner time, then go out to dinner and hit the track and the WS store at the highschool. We'll start working at 6:00 am on Sunday morning, relieving some tired volunteers. Shouldn't be as hot this year, but I don't think it ever could be as hot as last years' 106 degree record breaking temps! Wish you were running it! Next year, or for sure the year after!!!
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Landy and jlynnbob, I'm just sorry I don't live in Rocklin anymore, 'cuz I would definitely try to meet up with you at Western States if I still lived there! Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You'll ruin your knees!

I tried to ge in the lottery but didn't make it this year...maybe next (already qualified). I would love to be there, have lots of friends I've met over the years that'll be there running/volunteering. Landy, have fun and let us know how it goes...I'm sure the runners won't miss the heat from last year. Lynn B

Thanks for welcome. After the awesome experience of running a full blown 22,000 participant marathon, I am now do the "what next?" Another big M, a local 5k, trail run??? Reading Karnos book honestly gave me a good motivation kick in the butt back at the beginning of my marathon training. Aside from the stories themselves, I really enjoyed his description of running the WS100. I had never heard of such an event till then, and although I am not planning on doing any Ultras anytime soon, the idea of trail racin intrigue me. Also reading recent race reports from Misip, RcknMoma, & Professor seems to be pulling me in the backwood direction. So i'll be hanging around this forum and maybe jump into a local trail race and let ya all know how it goes.

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey SpinDr, here's some reading for you...one of our members, ultraSteve is a contributing author... Lynn B http://books.google.com/books?id=RBnkuCaO6K0C&dq=%22jamison+neal%22&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=JBpmPDP10d&sig=zyjs89oQitRPOK_e-JsVsZ8SB4Q#PPA147,M1 This may be the best book on getting hooked on ultradistance running I have seen... http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/044667902X/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-2770366-9471824#reader-link

(waving hi to my muddy new friends) I'm in the group but with zero trail miles because I have to stay off them for a while. Cry My plantar fasciitis just flared up (sob! on a trail run). It's back to the flats for a month or two for me. Angry I run in the South hills of Eugene, OR. uh, when I'm not injured. sigh.
                            I'm in the group but with zero trail miles because I have to stay off them for a while. Cry My plantar fasciitis just flared up (sob! on a trail run). It's back to the flats for a month or two for me. Angry I run in the South hills of Eugene, OR. uh, when I'm not injured. sigh. I feel for you Econo. My PF is so bad right now I am doing ZERO miles!
                            Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                              welcome Econo & oldguysrule - Glad to have new faces hanging around. Post often!
                                baby steps, my gnarly trail pals, baby steps. Today I ran 10 on a wood chip running path...to build foot strength to get back on the trails. All is good! P.S. -- don't encourage me to "post often" -- heh