Trail Runners

Stream crossings (Read 194 times)

The voice of mile 18

is there a good technique for this? should I practice these in my long runs?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

You'll ruin your knees!

I have never thought about "practicing" stream crossings. If there is a stream, I cross it. I suppose there is value in learning what to expect when your feet get wet, what socks/shoes drain well and don't... Also, knowing what you need to do to prevent blisters is important, so wet feet might be a good test of your blister prevention. Not sure that's what you are looking for... If you have a race coming up, it is good to do as much as you can (reasonably) to mimic the conditions for the race. If there are stream crossings on the race course, then you might want to have experienced running with wet feet before race day. Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

The voice of mile 18

well on a particular route I have there is a nice stream alongside the road and I get really tempted to jump the guardrail and hit it but think that's a bit nuts but looks like sooo much fun.

Carl A

"If you said jump in the river I would because it would probably be a good idea." --Sinead O'Connor. In short, I say go for it!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

The voice of mile 18

something wrong w/ the world when I get running advice from that crazy bald chick. Smile thanks!

well on a particular route I have there is a nice stream alongside the road and I get really tempted to jump the guardrail and hit it but think that's a bit nuts but looks like sooo much fun.
              sounds like your running the road, not the trails ! Shocked Oh my! I actually love the stream crossings, especially on a warm day, it really cools off the feet and cleans the shoes Big grin. And since i got my Injinji toe socks bl,isters haven't been a problem (knock on wood!!).
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

The voice of mile 18

no but there aren't enough trails in my neighborhood. actually run this road to reach the trails unless you guys and gals think I should start taking short cuts thru my neighbors yards? Smile

Wasatch Speedgoat

is there a good technique for this? should I practice these in my long runs?
                  Plunge in and go, but look out for slippery rocks which can take you down or turn an ankle. I have worn all kinds of shoes running through streams, some drain well, some don't...I've even known runners who after crossing the stream lie down with their feet up on a tree to let their shoes drain...I just squish, squish and eventually it dries up. Listen to Lynn....wet feet does cause blisters! When I run 100's, i will always have a spare pair of socks in my hydration pack and some in every drop bag.

Life is short, play hard!

no but there aren't enough trails in my neighborhood. actually run this road to reach the trails unless you guys and gals think I should start taking short cuts thru my neighbors yards? Smile
                    Think of it as a steeplechase