Trail Runners

Soreness in legs after race (Read 170 times)

rubber-side-down

Traing partner Shay!!

Hello,

I find that after long hard training runs that I recover very quickly and am able to go hard the next day. I do taper before races but still find that I am incredibly sore after a race. I'm barely able to walk for at least a week. The only thing that I can really do is to ride my bike. I'm 33 years old and have been experiencing this for at least 5 years. I'm not doing any crazy distances. However compared to my training, races should seem much easier.

I live in Vermont and have been training for an uphill race. I have been running up and down local mountains usually about an 1 1/2 hour training runs and feel fine the next day. Sunday I did a 12k road race on a mostly flat dirt road and maintained a 7 min mile. I am SO SORE!!! I am a chef and constantly stand on my feet. I had to work after the race as I usually do since races fall on weekends and I work weekends.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg.

Hey Greg - I'm always much sorer after a race than my training runs.  Ibuprofen is my friend afterward and really helps.  I've also been told to sit in a tub of cold water or shower in cold water to help the inflammation.  Personally, I'm a wuss when it comes to that, but most people swear by it.

Re the flat race, your legs probably aren't use to running on flat ground, so it was another stressor for them, even though it was a short one.  Having to stand for work afterward didn't help, either.

My suggestion - Ice and ibu.  It'll go a long way to helping.

Good luck!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hey Greg-I agree with Leslie that you've been mostly training on ups & downs so flats are different and I'm guessing that pace was much faster than what you do in the mountains.  I also took a peak at your training log and unless your missing some entries your training is all over the map-the mileage from Aug to Sept was a huge jump.  You need to run more consistently or you're going to end up hurting yourself and I'm not surprised you're sore.  Sorry for the tough love since we just met so to speak. 

I'm a coach and train for ultras (just sompleted my second 100 miler a couple weeks ago) and have been running for 10 years now.  I'm certainly not an expert but after 10 marathons and a dozen ultra events I hope I know a little something.  I live in Charlotte, VT and am familier with VT terrain-Mt Mansfield is my second home :-).  I know it's hard training and working in the restaurant business (used to wait tables in Stowe in college) but you need to establish a more consistent mileage schedule.

One last plug-I'm available for new clients and can train online :-)

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.