Trail Runners

Trail Run Photos... (Read 1359 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Timber Rattlesnake on today's trail run. I'm starting to think that I attract these. At least they rattle, Copperheads don't even give a warning!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Last Saturday's run didn't suck.

Perfesser's pic - *shudder!*

Gerber's photos - *stunning!!!*

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Gorgeous pictures and what DRAMA!!!

- I can live w/o the kind of drama that a rattlesnake provides. I'll take the views that Chris found - where is this, Chris? You appear to be in a different world from mine - the pictures are breathtaking. Thank you for sharing.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
            Gorgeous pictures and what DRAMA!!!

- I can live w/o the kind of drama that a rattlesnake provides. I'll take the views that Chris found - where is this, Chris? You appear to be in a different world from mine - the pictures are breathtaking. Thank you for sharing.

That's Buckskin Gulch, in Utah... very near the Arizona border.  It's the longest slot canyon in the world at ~13 miles (22 miles total, to get back to the trailhead). One of the coolest trail runs I've ever done. 

We actually found a small rattlesnake in there too.  He was all tucked up into a rock and wasn't rattling though. 

There are more photos here.  I think the album is publicly viewable:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=167354&id=615607313&l=42f5e186e0

Happy

I've looked at some more of your pictures; saw the rattlesnake - how often does a runner get bitten by a snake/rattlesnake on a run?

The picture of the purple flowers is lovely, especially in the context of all those burnt orange rocks, sand and canyons. It is also amazing to see a tree virtually growing out of a rock?! The canyon appears to be very narrow yet extremely deep. In some of your pictures it looks like the rocks/cliffs are kissing each other, the curves and the lines are very sensual. I really enjoyed the photography - you must have a good portable camera; which one? How many years has it taken for the water to erode away all of that rock? Are there times of the year when the canyon fills with water? 

It must have been comforting to run in a group on this trail - I am not sure I would dare go there on my own. Was it hot? How much water did you carry? Was there access to water and restrooms on the 13 mile stretch?

A lot of questions, I know. Great photography!!!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

"how often does a runner get bitten by a snake/rattlesnake on a run?"

- I don't think very often.  We usually have 1-2 hikers/runners bitten a year out here (Colorado front range)... at least the ones that make the news. 

"The canyon appears to be very narrow yet extremely deep."

- Several hundred feet deep.  About 4-6' wide at the narrowest spots.  Maybe 50-100' wide at the occasional wide spots.

"I really enjoyed the photography - you must have a good portable camera; which one?"

- Canon SD980 IS.  It takes great photos..but the lens retract mechanism seems a bit suspect.  It often doesn't open on the first try, so I'm a bit concerned it may die on me.Otherwise, I love it.

"How many years has it taken for the water to erode away all of that rock?"

- Not sure...  I'd guess in the tens of millions of years, but that's a total guess. 

"Are there times of the year when the canyon fills with water?"

- Yes, it flash floods periodically.  It would be a REALLY bad place to be in a flash flood.  There is only one escape in 13 miles and there's evidence of the water being 100 feet deep during floods (trees lodged 100' above the floor).  You definitely want to avoid it if the forecast is calling for any rain at all...  even a small amount of rain could cause a fatal flash flood.

"Was it hot?"

- Not too bad.  Maybe 80 for the high.  It was pretty cool in the canyon... the occasional mud / water pots were very cold.

"How much water did you carry?"

- 2 liters

"Was there access to water and restrooms on the 13 mile stretch?"

- There are some springs a couple of miles down the Paria River (Buckskin flows into the Paria, you hike 7 miles upstream on the Paria to get back to the second trailhead).  You'd have to hike a few miles out of the way to get to them.  There is also some spring water in lower buckskin, but it seeps from the ground, so you'd have to treat it.  No bathrooms.  You have to pack out human waste.

"A lot of questions, I know. Great photography!!!"

- No problem at all and Thanks!! 

Some info on Buckskin Gulch

under a rock

Chris those pictures are so beautiful. Such a huge contrast in what we get to run in the Southeast. I love all the different textures in the walls of canyon.

Happy

"how often does a runner get bitten by a snake/rattlesnake on a run?"

- I don't think very often.  We usually have 1-2 hikers/runners bitten a year out here (Colorado front range)... at least the ones that make the news. 

It's a bit scary to think of this! Today my son and I (he is a rising High School Student) filled in forms/papers for his XC class, for which training starts Monday (sic)!! One of the forms listed a number of potential hazards and dangers that we are signing that we understand (and can't sue the school, coach or anyone else, should it happen to our little son/daughter while on the team). One of the dangers listed, lo and behold, was snake bites. Yes, we have snakes here too - I love to imagine they are the friendly kind, but..... Well, ignorance can be bliss. 

"I really enjoyed the photography - you must have a good portable camera; which one?"

- Canon SD980 IS.  It takes great photos..but the lens retract mechanism seems a bit suspect.  It often doesn't open on the first try, so I'm a bit concerned it may die on me.Otherwise, I love it.

How old is this version of the camera? It may be time to update or it could be a little dirt stuck in the lens retract mechanism; if the latter is the case it may be an easy fix. Check it out.

Is this an itty bitty light weight camera? Bigger than a cell phone?

"How many years has it taken for the water to erode away all of that rock?"

- Not sure...  I'd guess in the tens of millions of years, but that's a total guess. 

Time is such a weird concept - so difficult to understand and fathom time in terms of millions of years. I recently watched a show on (maybe Public TV, "Into the Universe" by Steven Hawkin) about black wholes and the big bang and the size of galaxes etc etc - it was basically completely impossible for me to understand these dimensions; my son did a lot better - he thinks it's easy to get a grip on; he doesn't have any inhibitions in his mind about these things. It's amazing the things that will continue to happen long after we pass and long after the humans are gone or the earth seizes to exist should this ever happen.

"Are there times of the year when the canyon fills with water?"

- Yes, it flash floods periodically.  It would be a REALLY bad place to be in a flash flood.  There is only one escape in 13 miles and there's evidence of the water being 100 feet deep during floods (trees lodged 100' above the floor).  You definitely want to avoid it if the forecast is calling for any rain at all...  even a small amount of rain could cause a fatal flash flood.

WOW - unbelievable! That's what I thought when I saw the pictures.

"Was it hot?"

- Not too bad.  Maybe 80 for the high.  It was pretty cool in the canyon... the occasional mud / water pots were very cold.

"How much water did you carry?"

- 2 liters

Not much water - are you ever scared that you will run out of water while running in the dessert?

"

"A lot of questions, I know. Great photography!!!"

- No problem at all and Thanks!! 

My pleasure! 

Some info on Buckskin Gulch

"How old is this version of the camera? It may be time to update or it could be a little dirt stuck in the lens retract mechanism; if the latter is the case it may be an easy fix. Check it out.  Is this an itty bitty light weight camera? Bigger than a cell phone?"

- Seems to be a common/known issue from what I found online.  It's only about 5 months old.  I may send it back while it's still under warranty.  It's subcompact, very small for a camera, a little bigger than my cell phone, but smaller than say an iPhone. 

Canon SD980IS

"Not much water - are you ever scared that you will run out of water while running in the dessert?"

- Not on this one.  I've done this run before and knew the locations of the springs, if we needed them... and had confirmation that they were flowing (some dry up later in the summer).

View from the trailhead tonight:

It's a 13 image stitched panorama... this size doesn't really do it justice.  Here's the full-sized version:

http://www.chrisgerber.com/misc/pano-20110120-2.jpg

It was amazing to see... just thought I'd share it. Smile

Kalsarikännit

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  I just noticed these.  What great pics!  The Buckskin Gulch pictures are beautiful.

I just found Leor Pantilat's blog.  He also takes some amazing pictures.  I was pretty amazed.

http://pantilat.wordpress.com/

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Here's the full-sized version:

Thanks for sharing Chris.  Awesome picture.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

View from the trailhead tonight:

It's a 13 image stitched panorama... this size doesn't really do it justice.  Here's the full-sized version:

Did you upgrade your camera from the above post last year or is this from the same camera?  This is a great picture (quality and content)

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)

That was from my dSLR, an old Nikon D70.

This one is from my compact:

Full Size