Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - November 2010 (Read 369 times)

Sure been quiet around here the last coupla months.  I won't be on the trail this weekend as I'll be at conference.  Hope the rest of you make it out!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

under a rock

I don't have much going on since my IT band is still recovering and my mileage is pretty low. I think I'm also having new ITBS on my right knee but I'm not sure since it is a bit different than the version I get on my left leg. I have an appt with my sports med doc to make sure I've diagnosed it right but it's a few weeks from now.

I'm doing a 24K race on Saturday "The Phantom Run" in North Vancouver, British Columbia.

The real highlight of this race is the Potluck lunch afterwards.

Ah, the joys of running!

BTW, I have switched to the 50K from the 50 mile race in San Francisco.  Fatozzig, I love your attitude and appreciate your advice but I just have not put the miles in.  I agonized over the decision for weeks.  I think I need to choose a 50 miler in the summer closer to home so the long training run are not so lonely.  One part of me is disappointed, another is relieved and looking forward to a couple of nice days in San Fran and a lovely run through the woods.

Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30

W2BF - Kudos to you for making what was probably a tough decision.  Sometimes we have to keep reminding ourselves there will be other races, other days. You'll love the Marin Headlands.  There will be some beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the ocean, etc.  Beware - it'll be a hilly run.

PCTR  and CTR hold a number of races there throughout the year.  If you ever want to run well-supported races, try one of theirs.  Sarah and Wendell used to be the co-RDs of PCTR, but I think they got divorced.  Wendell started CTR.  I'm planning on Pirates Cove in February through PCTR and am going back in March for a trail marathon through CTR.  You don't get all the fancy medals for finishing, but the volunteers and aid stations are top-notch and they are very well-run events.  I haven't done one in awhile and am looking forward to them.

I look forward to reading your race report.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Leslie, you're a NorCal runner. I'm planning to try for Miwok (May) then thinking of Headlands Hundred (end of July), it would be my first 100k and first 100m. What do you think?

MTA: Well, I just found your crewing report from HH. So it turns out I picked the right person to ask!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Perfesser - Here's KateMD's report from Headlands Hundred, it was her first 100-miler, as well as a pacer report from Rustyboy. It's the post dated August 11, 2008.

The Marin Headlands are beautiful, lots of scenic views, but very hilly.  I can't remember off the top of my head if  I ran a full 50k out there yet or not, I will, however, be running Pirates Cove 50k in February.  You would be wise to get a lot of hill work in on those legs, including stairs.  And if the fog rolls in, it can get pretty chilly at night.  It's a very crew-friendly course and well-marked for the runners.  As crew, we only skipped one aid station in the middle of the night.  If you end up doing this and are hard-pressed for crew persons, let me know.  If it works out with  my schedule, I'd be more than happy to crew for you.

As I told W2BF - PCTR puts on extremely well-supported races.  You're not going to get the fancy buckle at the end of the 100, but I believe each finisher received a really cool coaster with his/her name and finish time inscribed on it when Kate ran in 2008.  Sara, the RD, even went as far as asking participants what they wanted at the aid stations.

If you've never been to the West Coast before, the outskirts of San Fran are hard to beat.  If you can plan it around a vacation, you have Napa Valley and the vineyards an hour or so north, as well as all of San Fran to enjoy.  An absolutely hilarious musical to see would be Beach Blanket Babylon.  It  follows the current political climate, and keeps you laughing your a$$ from beginning to end.  You would need to purchase tickets well in advance as they sell out nightly.

If you have other questions about HH, let me know.  I can pass along your email address to Kate, and I know she'd be more than happy to give you much better insight than I can.  Email me at fatozzig at yahoo dot com.  Put "Headlands 100" in the subject line so I'll know it's from you.

Your first 100!  How frigging exciting!!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wanderingoutlaw

I finally got out on a trail again this morning--first trail run in over two months.  I have three weeks to prepare (& decide whether I'm going to run) a trail half-marathon.  The course is basically two laps of the 10k I ran in April--the 10k probably being closer to an 11k in actuality and the half-marathon being right around 13 miles.

On today's run, I ran one lap of the 10k course (plus a little extra). My heart rate kept rising above MAF (which I was trying to keep under) so I ended up walking much of the route.  My feet did better than expected but still got sore in the last couple of miles where most of the little rocks seem to be concentrated.  Next week I hope to run at least 15k (or even the 13 miles) and work out where I need to walk (on the uphills) and where I can run easily.

Hopefully I'm going to be able to start getting out on the trails at least every other week.

John

My husband was off this week so I ran trails 4 days!  Oh, the joy!  One of them was new to me, but it is the trail my race in April will be on, so I was anxious to test it out. 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran trails this afternoon, except we went off-trail through swamp, brambles, and hills, and I think I set a new personal record for the slowest mile was 30+min Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ran trails this afternoon, except we went off-trail through swamp, brambles, and hills, and I think I set a new personal record for the slowest mile was 30+min Smile

Big grin

My running buddy, coach, and I are contemplating a  Fat Ass this winter.  My comment was, "Don't we run a Fat Ass every weekend?"  (unsupported long run, carry our own supplies).  Her response: "Those are Little Asses."  Ha!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

under a rock

I'm finally getting back in the swing of things after several weeks of PT. My ITband situation is looking up, though my quads are sore as hell from all the strength excercises she insists on making me do.

I did 9 miles on one of my favorite trails Saturday and felt I could have gone longer if it hadn't been for the really tired quads. Of course I had to finish the run off by falling when I tripped on a root hidden by the newly fallen leaves at 8.5 miles, DOH! Not sure I'll fess up to my PT about that one.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Leslie, you're a NorCal runner. I'm planning to try for Miwok (May) then thinking of Headlands Hundred (end of July), it would be my first 100k and first 100m. What do you think?

MTA: Well, I just found your crewing report from HH. So it turns out I picked the right person to ask!

Cheapest place to stay around the area?  What about camping - looks like the GG Park has very little camping space.  Maybe I will just sleep at the start in a rental...

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)