Trail Runners

Second Trail Race (Read 138 times)

Hi all,

I'm running my second trail race tomorrow.  My first was on a pretty technical trail with a big elevation loss/gain.  I ended up injuring both feet pretty badly (double-sprain, I think). I am actually not sure what I may have done wrong, but I am guessing I came downhill too hard on some rocks.

Has anyone injured their feet while trail running/racing? Any lessons learned?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hi Alfie - It was your actual feet and not ankles?  If you did hit the rocks too hard/too often, you very well could've caused deep bruising, is all I can figure.  I have no recommendations . . . except avoid landing on rocks. Wink   Oh - and have fun!!!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks, Leslie!

Yeah, thankfully, my ankles were totally fine.  It was the outside, tops of the feet. 

If it's the outside and tops of your feet, I'd be inclined to say your shoes were tied too tight / your feet swelled too much for how tight you had them tied (and maybe your shoes too small?).  I wear 1 to 1 1/2 sizes larger in my running shoes than I do my regular shoes.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks, Leslie. It went better today. I enjoy the nature and the hills. But the pointy rocks are still tough to negotiate for me, especially during the Fall, when they're covered by leaves. You've definitely made a good observation re: tight lacing. I ran today in my road shoes, but the lacing ended up loosening. I didn't bother to tighten them, which may have ended up being a good thing. My road shoes are a 10. I can't imagine running in 11 1/2, but it's definitely something to think about. Thank you very much.

I'm glad things went good for you!  Re shoe size - I need to clarify what I said.  My regular shoes are my everyday shoes - like work, dress, etc.  I wear a size 9 in those.  In all my running shoes - whether road or trail - I wear a 10.5.  If your toes aren't slamming into the ends of your shoes, then they're probably the right size.  Sounds like having the looser laces helped.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance