Trail Runners

Dog Backpacks (Read 234 times)

Have any of you had experience with dog packs for your pooches? My friend has black lab she wants to start training to carry his own supplies for more extensive hiking and running and is looking for input, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yes - I bought one for my golden retriever about a year ago. I got it at REI - it was somewhat expensive, but i had a 20% off coupon. I'll check the brand when I'm home tonight. I had him carrying his own water, and the only problem was I had to empty the bottles on either side fairly evenly, and even then the pack would slip a little to the heavier side. But it worked, and it kept him with me on some runs where natural water was non-existent, and he wouldn't have been able to go with me without the pack.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        . . . it kept him with me on some runs where natural water was non-existent, and he wouldn't have been able to go with me without the pack.
        Which is why Charlie needs one. We'd like to take him on our longer trips this summer, but right now we're limited to ensuring there's a water source close by. Thanks for the info.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

We got a dog pack for our Golden Retriever from REI. It was diffiult to balance. I would like to find one that is more secure without being too tight or inhibiting. We haven't found an ideal one yet. Undecided
          Find the fun.
          sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I have a couple of Mountain smith dog packs. They seem to balance OK. You do have to be careful about packing them evenly. I use them on backpacking trips. They carry their food in and the trash out ... seems fair. One point of caution I want to make. I see this all of the time. Be really careful taking dogs out for a run when the temps are over 85 degrees. I know that seems low but unless there is water on the trail there is no way for them to keep cool. Carrying water only keeps them hydrated it doesn't do much for keeping them cool.
            If you're bored ask why you're boring
              Thanks, Sherpagirl. The overheating info is good advise. Luckily, most of the places we will be running, it rarely gets to 70, but I can definitely see how having a pack on his bag will make him run hotter.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Another dog water idea is a plastic baggie. I usually run with my camelback and around 100 oz of water. I carry a plastic bag as a disposable dog bowl. I know they sell them but I seem to lose them. These are cheap, light and they taste like dog cookies if you reuse the treat bag. Big grin
                If you're bored ask why you're boring
                  This is a late answer, but for future reference. The best site that I've ever found for information about doing outside stuff with your dog is here. She has a bunch of reviews of equipment, strategies, etc. She has instructions for making a custom pack. Here's the specific link her reviews of dog gear.
                  ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                    Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on. Smile

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I also have a Mountainsmith pack that I use on my Golden. Nice pack, she doesn't seem to mind it at all. As said, you have to balance them carefully, otherwise they tend to rotate on the dog.