Trail Runners

Blister Help (Read 225 times)

I've been dealing with blisters on the edges of both big toes and the edge of the balls of my feet. It's a pain, but I'm dealing with it. However, yesterday I developed a blood blister under an already existing blister. I read in "Fixing Your Feet" to not pop it. So I guess, just let it go away eventually? It's pretty painful. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

In my experience blisters come and go sometimes. Here are the things I have found to help: 1) Proper shoe and insole fit, Imbalanced insoles can cause blisters on the bottoms of your feet. 2) Good Socks, I am a big smart wool fan. I wear smart wool light hiker crew socks. I find they fit really well, don't sag or bunch. Last a pretty long time and have padding in the right places. 3) I have been using this stuff called Sport Shield by 2Toms. It comes in a powder, Roll-on or pads. I like the roll-on or pads. It works kind of like Pam for your body ... I like it because it doesn't leave anything for sand and dirt to stick to. It can be a little hard to find though. 4) Time - I don't know this but I think the more time you spend on your feet the tougher the skin seems to get. I know that I don't get as many blisters now as I did when I started running. 5) I have also heard hydration may have something to do with it. I would be curious to see if anyone has any facts to back up my last two statements. I have also had better luck with healing if I put Neosporin on a band-aid and keep them covered until all of the inflammation is gone … even at night. Good luck SG
      If you're bored ask why you're boring
        Thanks for the info, Sherpagirl. I've been doubling up on socks, SmartWool over a regular running sock (can't think of the name) and Engo Performance Patches, and just bought Blist-O-Ban. I'll probably try doubling up on the Blist-O-Bans next week. I also just read in Wikipedia to ice the blister area and keep the foot elevated. Has anyone used New Skin on hot spots with any success, or methylated spirits to help speed up the callous process (the latter of which I read about on Wikipedia when I typed in "blood blisters").

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Have you tried with just one pair of socks? I would think that that extra thinkness might cuase additional pressure points.
          If you're bored ask why you're boring
            One pair is actually worse, and it doesn't matter which shoes I wear, my road shoes or either pair of my trail shoes. Guess I'm just a tender-footed gal!! Things are slowly getting better, and I actually bragged this past week that I didn't have any new blisters - then this blood blister. It's the Trail Devil, I tell ya. Evil grin

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Fatozzig I've had a lot of problems with blisters in the past, even worse when me feet got wet. I started wearing Wright double layer socks and the problem was solved. I ran 16 miles in the pouring rain and didnt get one blister. Everyones feet are different but you may want to give them a try. Dan
              Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                Wright - That's the name of the socks! Smile I currently wear a pair of those and a pair of Smartwool trail running socks. One pair is definitely not enough, I have found. I seem to be doing fairly okay right now, but this one blister is the worst I've had. It's been almost a week and it's still fairly full. I've ordered various blister prevention/remedy patches and will probably double up on the patches for preventative measures. We'll see how it goes this weekend. I have 3-hour trail run again of me. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I've never tried this but I'm told using a good quality duct tape over hot spots works well. Just be carefull when removing it. Please help support me my visiting my blog. Comments and suggestions are welcome http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                  Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                  Shiksa

Are you sure your shoes fit? I rubbed a nasty blister on the bottom of my feet last fall. My shoes were too big. You might need a larger toe box and a new way to tie your shoes to keep them from moving forward and backward so much on the trail. I'm not sure what that way is. I know how to do it on a hiking boot. Anyone want to step in with some different ways to tie shoes? Smile

Stacy
                    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Things went really well Saturday. The blister from last week is still holding on strong, but I used these http://www.spenco.com/product/606-pressure-pads on my hot spots and they flared only slightly in the three hours I was out there. Stacy - This whole blister thing started with three new changes a number of months ago: I stupidly tried to reduce my callouses , my custom orthotics were resurfaced with leather, and I got new shoes. I've had problems ever since, even though I no longer use the orthotics and I've quit messing with the callouses. I think it's just a matter of them building back up. In the meantime, though, things have been a real pain in the rearend.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance