Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - March 2011 (Read 311 times)

18 wet logging road miles on Saturday, followed by 10 wet trail miles on Sunday in the Community Forest.  Surprisingly to me, I didn't feel too bad at the end of Sunday's run.  It was nice!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fair amount of trail running for me Fri & Sat (fair amount for me - not as much as fattozig). Noticed soreness in upper legs into pelvis both days. Also someone found a tick. So, may move back onto roads for summer (b/c of fear of deer ticks, mostly - lyme disease prevalent in my area).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Tick Issues - We ladies gotta watch where we squat!  We don't have to luxury of just standing there.  Karen has been putting some kind of "tick begone" stuff on Charlie.  Want me to find out what it is for ya?? Big grin

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes, yes, I would be interested in hearing any suggestions about ticks and spray and whatnot.

Ticks are not my friend. Not here, not there, not anywhere. Not up, not down, not anywhere around. No ticks, go ticks, stay away and never play.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Amores - Unfortunately, I don't know anything humans can wear, except may "Off" (??).

The 22 miles today with my buddy, Karen, and Charlie Dog.  They were good miles, except it rained about half the time.  The first half seemed to me to go slow, but the second half went pretty fast.    We got fairly far out on the logging roads and I ended up creeping myself out a bit.  We decided that (1) we need to buy one of those locater thingees and (2) we each need to carry one of those thermo blanket things - just in case something was to happen to one of us.  For instance, as far out as we were today, it'd take a couple of hours for one of us to get back to get help.

It was a good run, though, and since I'm starting a mini taper for next week's 50k, I only have to run 5 tomorrow.  Nice!

Okay - I'm getting tired and The Hub is out for the evening, so I think I'm gonna hit the hay.  Don't forget to set your clocks forward!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Last weekend I ran the Pirate's Cove 50k out in the Marin Headlands again.  There were two course changes from Golden Gate, one of which was definitely harder/more technical.  The weather was, once again, total crap with rain, rain, and more rain, hail, and winds.  However, I did a little bit better than 4 weeks ago:

Feb 19 - 7:44:06

Mar 19 - 7:20:10

Almost a full 24 min faster!  Woo Hoo!  What a difference a month makes!

And since this shouldn't be just about me - My friends' podcast, 3 Nonjoggers, is really taking off.  They were recently featured on another running podcast, Geeks in Running Shoes, as well as an online "beer magazine", Draft Magazine.  I'm very excited for them.  To think I will soon be able to say, "I knew them when . . . "  Wink

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nobody around these days?  Guess I'm talkin' to myself -

26.2 miles in 6:40, plus .5 cool down walk.  I'm exhausted.  It was a tough run today, with some pretty dang decent climbing.  A little bit of sun, some hail, a lot of rain, some winds.  I screwed up on my nutrition about halfway through and couldn't get a handle on it the rest of the run.  Flirted with nausea from approximately Mile 15 on, and came close to puking twice: once when I was trying to a fudge-covered graham cracker, and once when I was trying to gag down a gel.  A couple of times toward the end, I suddenly got really sleepy.  Felt like I was sort of sleepwalking.  Very weird feeling.  It's happened before, but it's still weird.  Karen said she actually got hit with vertigo a couple of times.  I think it was a combo of being tired, wet, and cold.

We ran all the way down to Big Lagoon.  The climb back out to where we turned back onto the A-Line was 2.3 miles.  It's not a steep climb, it's a climb, nonetheless.  I ran the whole way out without stopping once.  I absolutely refused to stop.  I think that's what put me over the edge as far being out of balance on the nutrition, but it was worth it. Smile

Right now I'm trying to get the energy to take a shower and clean up my soaked crap.  Tomorrow: 18 miles of climbing, climbing, climbing.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

under a rock

Nobody around these days?  Guess I'm talkin' to myself -

I've been trying to get over my right ITB issues so I'm not around much since it just makes me frustrated to read about everyone else getting to trail run. Hopefully I'll be back in the mix soon.

Oh and on the tick issue and peeing. Last year I learned to pee standing up. Best thing ever! Winter sucked because tights make that impossible but spring, summer and fall wearing a skirt with briefs makes it really easy to do.

Last year I learned to pee standing up. Best thing ever!

Now that's a gift!

Well, somewhere between my trail run on the 19th and my run last Saturday I developed a stress fracture at the top of my foot.  This means my 50-miler at the end of April that I've been working so hard for is down the tubes.  I'm really pissed off about it and have had a few crying jags, but neither is going to fix the problem, so I need to get over it. I finally have an appointment with an ortho for Friday to see how long I'll have to be on crutches, what kind of cardio I'll be allowed to do, etc.

Well, wait, you may say.  If you haven't seen the ortho yet, how do you know it's a stress fracture?  Looked it up on the 'net, and every single symptom listed, I have.  Had an x-ray yesterday, but of course it didn't show anything, just as I knew it wouldn't.  But press the top of my foot, lift my toes, walk on the foot = pain.  Also went and saw my  primary, and although, as she said, it's not her specialty, she thinks it's a stress fracture, as well.

Boo hoo ~ Angry

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

...Had an x-ray yesterday, but of course it didn't show anything, just as I knew it wouldn't.  But press the top of my foot, lift my toes, walk on the foot = pain.  Also went and saw my  primary, and although, as she said, it's not her specialty, she thinks it's a stress fracture, as well.

Boo hoo ~ Angry

Waaaah indeed.... Cry

Been there; doing that. It's no consolation; but, I understand.

I'm not going to Umstead on Friday. Just now starting back after 3.5 precautionary weeks off for something that might have been either an early stress reaction or some extensor irritation (following a boneheaded move in some FiveFingers).

And, adding insult to injury (quite literally), the touch of post tib tendonitis I'd picked up by "running funny" when coming back from my other broken foot, took a big turn for the worse during that down time.

I say we throw ourselves a pity party!! Evil

Liz

pace sera, sera

Imminent Catastrophe

Geez, you two, so sorry about that. Leslie, there's still a chance it's a strain in one of the many tendons or ligaments in that area, those were my symptoms and my ortho said it was one or the other but the treatment was the same--a boot. Based on how long it took to heal it was most likely a SF but don't give up quite yet! 

It seems that Umstead has been a jinx for a lot of RAers this year!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Waaaah indeed.... Cry

I say we throw ourselves a pity party!! Evil

I'll bring the margaritas.

Russ - Either way, Leona Divide is off the books.  Although, I refuse to cancel my flight, etc., until I talk to the doc tomorrow.  Smile

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance