Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - April 2009 (Read 268 times)

Still kicking here... been busy lately. I'll probably try to get in an hour at lunch. This is day 45 of my streak and it's getting easier to get out the door most days. Planning a big run in Utah in May, trying to work out the logistics: http://adventurerun.wordpress.com/2008/05/26/zion-traverse/ Hope everyone's training is coming along well! - Chris
      Chris - Good luck with that May run. I need to plan a "destination run" one of these days . . . So yesterday was my first day of serious strength training since my surgery back on Feb. 10. This morning getting out of bed - Shocked . I am so frigging sore, it 's unbelievable. I have been this sore in ages. I think the only things that don't hurt right now are my finger nails. My 6-mile hilly run this a.m. was tuff, especially between Miles 4 and 5, but I got 'er done, as well as did my 3 miles last night after work sans my inhaler. Running after work = Dead. Running w/out an inhaler = DeadDead Also finally broke down and called my doc about my AT. Am seeing her at 1:00 today to get a referral to a sports ortho. Keep your fingers crossed I don't get nixed from my run in May.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Completed my 14 miles in 3:10:03. Feel really good about that pace. My ankle held out pretty good, but now that I'm done, it's fairly achy. Will keep icing throughout the day. Treated a horse on the trail to part of one of my apple bars. He was quite pleased! Smile He and his rider are former endurance riders. But he's retired now and she's looking for another horse to the racing, so they have their weekend jaunts in the forest together. I don't know if it's 'cause my gall bladder is gone or 'cause I've been taking half a phenagren before I run, or what, but my nausea has been very, very minimal these past two weeks with the long runs, which is really nice. AND! (drum roll please . . . .) . . . . . . . not . . . . one . . . . single . . . . blister today!!! Not even a small one! Woo hoo!! {dancin' a little jig} Okay - It's off for loads of transcription. Two different cases from the PD's office. Both suck, in that the crimes are horrible. Nice way to spend the weekend.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hello Everyone, Sorry I disappeared. I seem to apologize for that alot lately. I traveled to New England around Easter and did not have access to the internet (oddly enough) because I stayed with relatives who do not use a computer. They are retired and live a sheltered life on Cape Cod. I even had a difficult time finding wi-fi the one free morning that I had. Anyway, I ran a couple time on Martha's Vineyard while I was out there, but not since coming home. If I can get my food shopping, laundry, and housecleaning done today, I might be able to squeeze one in this evening. Sounds like everyone else is doing the same, keeping busy and trying to run. Kelly, I agree that you will love Washington and Rainier especially. My husband and I visited there when we lived in Portland, OR and enjoyed it immensely. A trip to Sunrise or Paradise is a must. Greg, that is too bad about the injuries. I expect that you will heal up and be the same running fiend that we know and love. How is the new job working out? Chris, I want to actually visit Utah instead of simply driving through it someday. I think running one of the races that you mention from time to time sounds like so much fun! Leslie, I guess Australia agrees with you. You took some beautiful pictures and you are looking GREAT! I hope your running is better than ever now. I better get moving. Kitrin
            Hi All - Kitrin - Sometimes it's good to tune out from technology. Although I suffered some minor withdrawals, it was actually nice not having my laptop with me on vacation. Did 8.32 miles yesterday with a 13:15 ap. Was quite pleased with that as I thought I'd be a bit slower from the 14 the day before. It was a stellar day yesterday (and looks to be shaping up that way today, as well), and I had the forest all to myself with one exception. Very nice.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yo from Philly. Nothing to report here. Nothing. No running. I figure that the best thing to do is to let my achilles heal and then run. I kept reinjuring the achilles with running. It's been about 10 days since I have last run. My ankle still hurts. I can't even walk right. It's definitely diminished but still hurts. I am almost certain I tore it partially. I had tendonitis and then ran barefoot which sealed the deal. I am going to give it another month. If it's not healed by then with no running then I think surgery may be in order, or at least a consultation with the doctor. My new job is good. I just don't have access to the internet like I used to. You guys are a great little community. Don't let our group die!!!! God bless you all. Keep running. Later.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I ran on Tuesday, two excruciating miles. I have NO IDEA why the experience was so unpleasant. I ran one of my usual trails and it was a nice day. However, my ankles and calves did not like the exercise. No harm done, simply an unhappy time. Greg, I am sorry to hear about your heel. I did something to my shoulder the day before I left for New England (it might have something to do with three truck beds full of soil that I shoveled that day) and it is still sore. I think I might have torn something also. I never had a shoulder injury before. The problem does not keep me from running, but it is not helping me achieve my goals in my backyard either. I am due to run again today, but I need to pick up a load of mulch and distribute it around the front and back. THEN I really should clean house for our study group that is meeting tonight. I guess I will buy a rotisserie chicken to help me avoid cooking tonight. I plan to be better about posting, even if I do not run as much as I did. Eventually, the weather will be too hot to plant and I will have more time. Kitrin
                  Greg - Sorry to hear your AT is still bothering you so much. Sounds like you're taking a good approach, though, and are staying off it. Maybe a Dr visit would be in order sooner rather than later?? Kitrin - Hope the shoulder heals up soon. Re yard work - I have so much to do, I don't know where to begin. Maybe a big backhoe?? Wink Today's workout: 6 hilly, windy miles this a.m. in 1:02:39, for an av pace of 10:27. Made it a goal to not have my HR monitor go off on any of the climbing, and it didn't. Am concentrating on small, baby steps going up the hills and wonders of wonders!, I'm not tiring out as fast. Shocker, I know. Bonkos tonight. Keep your fingers crossed I win some dinero!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin: 3 truckloads! Holy cow! Sometimes the runs suck. I always think back to the Stranger in The Big Lebowski when I have a day like that: “Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you.” Big grin Greg: Hope the achilles heels up soon... sounds like a totally miserable injury. Leslie: Sounds like you're coming around nicely, keep up the good work. I did a nice 18 miler tonight. This was day 54 of my streak. It's finally warmed up out here... it was 80F today. Remember, it snowed 12" last Friday? I'll be mowing the lawn today... before the snow comes back on Saturday. The weather around here is freakin' nuts.
                      Chris - The weather all over the country has been nuts this year. Crazy Mother Nature! We desperately need rain in all California. This is Year 3 of a drought. They're already gearing up for and expecting a fire season as bad as last year. Sad 14.77 trail miles this a.m., and we were very pleased to see that we had a 13:54 average pace, which is good for trail running. Did the dreaded combo of Trails 8/14 all the way up 12 and back down three times, with two of those being back to back. Cripes, my legs are tired. That combo is essentially all up hill at varying degrees with very few, and very short, "flat" sections, then you pound your way back down . . . . and then do it all over again. I need to look at my map again, but I think it's over 3 miles round trip, so close to 10 miles total of up, up, up, then pounding down. Now that I'm nice and tired, I have to get back to ye ole transcription. Roll eyes Have a good weekend ~

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Greg-bummer about the achilles! Why don't you get it checked out sooner rather than later? Leslie-I'll look at your pictures shortly-glad to see you're doing better-no tummy issues or blisters! Yeah! Kitrin-Glad to see you hanging in there Chris-nice streak going! I had a streak of 20 milers going but blew it a couple weekends ago at a 16 mile race. No time to warm up and it was 40 and raining when I finished. No desire to keep going-might have lost a pound from shivering after even with dry clothes on. I'm doing well. I'm in the last couple weeks of my class. I spent the day working on a paper on plantar fasciitis due Monday night. It was so stinking hot here today-80 freaking degrees! I did 12 and about died. I was having tummy issues! To go from temps in the high 40 to 50's to 80 is too much! Some rain is coming tonight so 60 tomorrow but back to 80 on Monday. I'm looking to do 20-30 miles tomorrow on trails since I sent in my registration Pineland Farms 50 Mile in New Gloucester, Maine on Memorial Day weeekend (that Sunday) I've never done an ultra so early in the season so I don't have my sights set too high. I was going to do the 50k option but figured why not go for it. I'll try to post more often now that class is coming to an end. Take care! Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          Hi Kelly - Nice to hear from ya again, girlfriend. Did 7.89 miles yesterday. Legs were pretty tired from Saturday, but I did better than I anticipated. This week starts the tapering, so Saturday we only have to run 8 miles. Yea! Smile Have my training schedule in preparation for SOB in July. Ugh. Knowing the mileage I'm gonna have to do and actually seeing it on paper seem to be two different things. Today's a rest day, and it felt so good to sleep in 'til 7:00. Yes The Hub was wide awake at 4:30, so he got up and dealt with the cats and even made me breakfast! Have decided to wear my HR monitor for the next 3 nights to see if my resting HR has changed. This a.m. when I woke up, it was 50. Very curious since the first time I did this (not quite a year ago??), my resting HR was 42. My buddy, Karen, and I have both been dealing with terrible night sweats for the past week or so, and her sister (a doctor and ultra runner) told her that can be a sign of over training (besides what we women go through anyway). She suggested checking our resting HR again to see if there's been any significant changes. We'll see . . .

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Having switched jobs, I have no insurance. I'm on probation for the first 90 days at which point if I pass the muster I'll get insurance. I do have a physical I have to get for the adoption of the boys in a week so I'll bring it up then but he won't prescribe anything but rest I'm sure. Doctors aren't brilliant on the whole. What can they do? I can't pay for an MRI out of pocket so rest is my only option at this point. I ran today for a mile or two. I've been supplementing my rest with liberal doses of nicotine through the fine cigars I've been smoking with the whiskey I've been drinking but that didn't seem to aid my little run today. Ankle hurting. I suck. Later. Oh, gained about 10 lbs and counting.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Oh, gained about 10 lbs and counting.
                              Okay - I thought we learned our lesson the last time you decided to imbibe too much when you weren't exercising? Alcohol = empty calories = weight gain. Put the damn glass down. Evil grin . . . . . . Smile

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Tapering this week, so after today I get to take it easy. Two fun things happened on my runs from Saturday and today. Saturday - let me start with Trail #12 is a decent freaking climb, and it's the one Coach tortures us with when he's getting us ready for a lot of climbing - like climbing it 3 or 4 times back-to-back. I think round trip is 3 miles. Going up ain't some much fun, but coming down, it's downhill all the way and is steepest toward the top. Well, after I got past a gravely patch, I decided to see how fast I could come down while still feeling in control. At one point, I snuck a peak at my Garmin and was doing a 6:04 av pace. Woo hoo! I had a blast! I finally decided to slow it down when I came to an area that's sort of rutted. Didn't want to splatter myself on the trail a week before my run. But doggone that was fun! Big grin Then this morning, I had 6 miles to do. At about the 5.5 mile mark I peaked at my Garmin and realized if I pushed it I could do the 6 miles in under an hour. Did it in 58:25, and that was with a couple of good climbs. My best time before that was 1:01:34. It helps that there was about a half mile section of steady decline, but with the two hills I ran without stopping, I figure it all evened out. I am pretty darn happy with that result. Finished 6.11 miles in 59:38.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance