Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Weekly - w/e 12/09 (Read 298 times)

You all interested in a weekly thread, running Monday through Sunday?

Yesterday it was 13 soaking wet miles with my running buddy, Karen, in the Arcata Community Forest.  First time we've had a chance to run together in quite awhile.  Lots of climbing and descending.

ALSO - am SO glad I made myself a note to register first thing yesterday morning for the Mt. Hood 50 'cause it filled in 5:46!  Going back in the hopes of improving on my time this past July of 12:13:41.  We'll see . . .

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

HappyFeat

Hi Leslie -Thanks for starting a weekly thread. Good luck with your training for Mt. Hood.

10 strenuous soaking wet miles with my running buddy and 2 doggies yesterday in an enchanted green and misty forest - a perfect day! Lessons learned: wear the rain jacket even if you think it's going to taper off and always bring a dry top for the drive home!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hi! I am a RWOL refugee and have trouble keeping up with the dailies because I usually swing by overnight and end up mostly lurking. I will try to post here occasionally as well!

Saturday 10M (lots of hills) and Sunday 12M (lots of mud). Longest weekend of running in awhile. Felt great!

Of course, Monday is a rest day now.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

daneda

I was on RWOL (darmt) too, but not super frequently, so weekly threads may be easier for me to keep up with as well!

Yesterday was an easy 6 miles on my local trails.  Today is cross training... And because of an exam Wednesday morning, I probably won't get back on the dirt til Wednesday afternoon...  The weather here is unusually warm, so I'm hoping it lasts for as long as possible!

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, congrats on getting into Mt Hood!  Hope you have a blast.

I ran 15 miles yesterday in Golden Gate Canyon State Park - steep and beautiful trails!  There's hardly any snow left, even on the north-facing slopes. It's really been unusually dry here so far this winter, and unseasonably warm at about 50° when I started.  Lessons learned:  bring gloves, even if you don't think you'll need them.  My hands were freezing in those shady north-facing parts.  I did have a jacket with me, which I put on at about mile 13 when the sun went down behind the divide. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wandering Wally

Weekly thread is awesome.

Not sure what this week will bring yet.  Probably lots of rail trail as most of my running will be either around 9:00 p.m. or 6:30 a.m.  Either time it's darker than the inside of a cow out there so I stick to routes with the least chance for injury.  I need to remember to make Wednesday or Thursday my hill day so I don't get to rusty.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

YO. Starting to build back my volume slowly as I'm still recovering from the marathon 2 weeks ago yesterday. My goal is to run daily, hoepfully 2x a day with a long 3-6 hour run on the weekend to cap the week. Hoping to build the volume towards the OD 100 next June. Will hit some 50k's and 50 milers along the way. So, I'm shooting for an hour daily this week, then start with the 2xdays next. 4.8 today on lunch break at local concrete paved park. Building up my barefoot time too and transitionind down from a 4mm heel drop to zero drop and barefoot full time.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hey, Everyone!  Good to see you all here.  And Wildchild/Carolyn has decided to join us, too.  Yea!I  If you want a real heart-stopper, look at some of Carolyn's graphs.  She lives in Colorado.  'Nuf said.

Unfortunately, because I run predawn, my trail running is only on the weekends.  During the week, I have to suffer the misery of the asphalt.  It's quiet, though, at 4:30/5:00 a.m., so that makes it a bit more tolerable.

That being said, today was a quiet 4 miles followed up by 45 min of core and upper body strength training.  I'm working hard to keep in the ST groove so as to maintain an overall strong body.  I have lots I want to do in the next two years, and strength training is one of the ways to get me to those goals uninjured, IMHO.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi all! I just hope to get out there for more miles this week...last week logged an oh-so-impressive 10.2, thanks to 2 days off to rest a sore hip and a long run that didn't happen because of the Christmas party the night before. Then, when I hoped to make the long run up on Monday, the temperature dived well below 0F, and I just couldn't manage 2 hours in that. Still cold today, but luckily the forecast says we'll be back in the 20s this weekend, and should stay there for at least several days. 

May your week bring many great runs! 

Uh oh... now what?

Unfortunately, because I run predawn, my trail running is only on the weekends.  During the week, I have to suffer the misery of the asphalt.  It's quiet, though, at 4:30/5:00 a.m., so that makes it a bit more tolerable.

Excuse the nosiness, but why can't you run trails in the dark?  Is it a 'no

trails nearby' thing?  We get spoiled living near our trails and over the

course of the year probably do a night run at least every two weeks.

We sometimes do "camera runs" -- arriving at sunrise (comes up over

the Cascades) or sunset (Olympics or Vancouver Island) points in

time for one or the other, either running to or from with lights.  Either

transition, light to dark or dark to light, is a different sort of running.

rgot

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Recovery week for me, so I'll be doing reduced mileage all week.  Weekdays will be on the sidewalks, but hopefully I'll make it to some trails for Saturday/Sunday.  

John - for me I can't run trails at night because I run into "Park Closes at Dusk"...not a lot of free-for-all open terrain in the eastern north Jersey area.

**Ask me about streaking**

Wandering Wally

Started this week off with a bang last night with 5.5 miles.

John - I tend to stay off the single track in the dark for a couple of reasons:  The first is that the trail head is behind a school and the police might take an interest in someone parked behind a school after dark.  The second is the tree roots.  My trails are not technical at all, but we do have our fair share of tree roots.  I am deathly afraid that I will hit one wrong in the dark and injure myself.  Probably at the farthest point from the parking lot.  Also, by this time of year the trails are normally covered in snow too deep to run in, but perfect for XC skiing.  Not this year though.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Fair question re running trails in the dark. Smile

First and foremost, my husband would have a fit if I went out on the trails alone in the dark at 4:30 in the morning (he doesn't run).  We have a lot of sketchy people who live off the grid here in Humboldt County.  And then there's the 4-legged wild animals and the fact I would be very uncomfortable out there in the dark all by my lonesome.

Also, the trails I would be able to use are closed from sun down to sun up.   And if my closest trail were open before sun up and my husband didn't care, I'd have to dedicate half an hour round trip for driving, which would mean getting up even earlier than 4:00/4:30.  So all-in-all, running on the trails during the week is not an option. Undecided

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Fair question re running trails in the dark. Smile

First and foremost, my husband would have a fit if I went out on the trails alone in the dark at 4:30 in the morning (he doesn't run).  We have a lot of sketchy people who live off the grid here in Humboldt County.  And then there's the 4-legged wild animals and the fact I would be very uncomfortable out there in the dark all by my lonesome.

Also, the trails I would be able to use are closed from sun down to sun up.   And if my closest trail were open before sun up and my husband didn't care, I'd have to dedicate half an hour round trip for driving, which would mean getting up even earlier than 4:00/4:30.  So all-in-all, running on the trails during the week is not an option. Undecided

Out of all those, the four legged beasts scare me the most. You have mountain lions out there right? YIKES!The worst thing I've seen on the trails at night are homeless people and an owl up close. Heard some deathly screaming before, but besides that, and getting creeped out by ghosts, no big whoop.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Uh oh... now what?

From somewhere else on a night run long ago:

"At the creek crossing, we can see several sets of footprints: deer, elk, raccoon,

and a largish one we pause over.  In our woods there are two things you should

recognize:  poisonoak and …

Cougar?  I think so.  You want me to pretend I can tell how long ago it passed

through here?  Maybe feel the print for warmth or something?  It is about the same

size as my hand.  It is on top of one of the deer hoof prints. "

rgot