Trail Runners

Favorite trail runs (organized) by State (or Country) (Read 385 times)

I'll start this group with a quest for information on your favorite organized trail runs - of any distance. Oregon: Timberline Marathon on Mt. Hood - gorgeous downhill single track trail, most or all of it on the Pacific Crest Trail. Small race, with dedicated race volunteers and staff. Nice medal. A nice destination race.
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

The voice of mile 18

Mt Penn Mudfest 10 Miler- in reading Pa the saturday before easter. amazingly fun race has an easter egg hunt in the middle of race, a beer/margerita stand on the top of the nastiest hill and an excellent post party not to mention a couple stream crossings and some gawd awful hills

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Wasatch Speedgoat

In order....top 5. Races: 1. Hardrock 100, Colorado. 2. Massannutten 100, Va. 3. Bighorn 100, Wy. 4. Promise Land 50K, Va. 5. San Juan Solstice 50, Co. Training: 1. Pemi Loop, White Mountains, NH. 2. Anything in the San Juan Mountains, Co. 3. Jemez Mountains, NM (where i live) 4. Blue Hills, Ma. (DRB50K course) 5. Any mountains in Va. All fantastic running trails! Smile Steve

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

I have really enjoyed the 100K at Bandera, near San Antonio, TX. But my favorite so far has to be the Bighorn course in Wyoming. I did the 50 miler there in 2004 and am going back for the 100 this June. The Western States course is beautiful. I'd also like to try Wasatch, have run there a little, but not enough to get a good feel for it. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hi Lynn.... I've run Bandera 100K and i do like it....but it's always too hot for me ! (and too early in the year) I've also run Wasatch but never had a good run there because of the altitude. Now that I live at 8100', I'm sure it would be better. My wife is running it this year and I'm going to pace her in and through Brighton, the dead zone! Bighorn is fantastic, as you know. Funny that you ran the 50 in 2004, I ran the 100 that year! Western States is too close to my favorite, Hardrock, so I'll probably never run it...but you never know. I'm thinking of entering the lottery next year for it and Hardrock and if i don't get into Hardrock, I'll go to W$. Glad to see another Urunr on here!

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

I haven't run WS, just paced a guy there last year. The runner I was supposed to pace dropped at Devil's Thumb, so I stood at Michigan Bluff with my thumb out and by chance, picked up a runner who totally schooled me on the MB to Auburn section through the night...one of the lowest finishing rates ever, hotter'n heck but this 69 year old dude finished strong! Here's my report from last year... http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/3573a03ef7bf4c6f996defc412ffb673 Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Haven't done enough of them to compile a list, but the Stinson Beach 25k outside of San Francisco will always go down as one of my favorite races.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Tahoe Rim Trail at the end of July is gorgeous! Got to be one of the top 10 ! Great views of Lake Tahoe, Sierra, other lakes, and alpine meadows.
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    In Wisconsin, I loved the fall colors along the Glacial Trail 50. Not too difficult, which was nice.
                    Carl A

I'm still in my first year of ultras and trail running; the only trail races I've done were low-key, free races that I organized on the D&H and O&W rails trails in northeast Pennsylvania. However, I like to train sometimes on a hilly singletrack trail system that runs around a lake in Prompton State Park, (also in northeast PA) and am considering organizing an ultra there.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

MN runner here, hello everybody! The Superior Trail races are spectacular and very difficult. Superior Trail 100M, 50M and marathon are held the same weekend in September. Very rocky, rooty and hilly course...definitely not a fast course but incredibly beautiful.
                        www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com
                        sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Well since I have only run one Ultra I'll have to include shorter races and training runs Races: Imogene Pass Breckenridge Crest Training Runs: Ouray, CO Bear Creek - Hwy 50 to Engineer Pass Indian Peaks, Co - Devils Thumb Loop Indian Peaks, Co - Arapahoe-pass loop Pike National Forest, CO Bear Track lakes to Guenella Pass Any Beach in Mexico
                          If you're bored ask why you're boring
                            Races- Silverton Alpine Marathon (RIP) Breck Crest Marathon Kennebec Mountain Challenge Imogene Silverton Hardrock (hopefully someday!) Trails- Crater Lake (not the big one in oregon, the little one in the SJ's) Anything on the Colorado Trail (but especially Indian Trail Ridge) Vallecito Creek Trail Hermosa Creek Trail This post is really making me wish it wasn't december!!

Just keep running...

#1 Silverton Alpine Marathon, Silverton CO #2 Kendall Mountain, Silverton, CO #3 Kennebeck Challenge, Durango, CO #4 Animas Mountain (Back Yard), Durango, CO #5 Colorado Trail Pretty much any trail run in Durango, CO
                                Any event put on by Pacific Coast Trail Runs (www.pctrailruns.com). Wendell and Sara rock! Their Motto: "Runs That Aren't Races in Beautiful Places." My favorite trails that are not an organized run (so far, since I'm fairly new to this): Trinity Alps (Trinity Co., CA) Headwaters Trail (Humboldt Co., CA) Anything in the redwood forest that's within a 1-2 hour drive from my house

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance