Trail Runners

Devil Mountain 50k (Colorado), July 17, 2010, Race Report (Read 256 times)

I hadn’t trained well for this one, and I’ve put on more pounds than I should have, but I felt ready for a tough run.  We left California a week before the run, stopping in Moab for a couple nights, then into the Colorado mining towns – Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Durango.  Arrived in Pagosa Springs on Friday, the day before the run and picked up our race packets.  The town was in the middle of a heat wave, with temperatures in the mid-high 90’s, I think.  Bummer!  I hate heat!

The race began with a slight uphill; I took my place at the back of the pack, and stayed there the entire run.  Near mile 2, on a gentle but rocky downhill, my toe caught a rock, and I landed in the dry powdery dirt with a thud and a complete body roll.  Scrapes, blood, bruises, and lots of dirt.  Not a good start.  Since I was the last runner, the first aid station volunteers actually came looking for me.  Ugh!  This was depressing, and I hoped it would get better. 

This was one of those runs where I was struggling from the start, tough to get a good rhythm, felt out-of-breath (elevation was pretty high at 8000-10000 feet), etc.  I made it to the second aid station at mile 11, where the volunteers were discouraging about the next section: over 3000 feet of climbing, bugs, and 7 miles to the next aid station.

This turned out to be the prettiest section of the run – narrow single track winding up the mountain, then along the ridge.  Lush vegetation and from the top, nice views.  Bugs, but the bug spray worked well (can I just add how much I LOVE spray-on bug spray and sunscreen, especially when your covered in dust?  No dirty hands trying to rub it all on!).  But it was slow and difficult, and was getting hot.  Probably in the 80’s, and in the sun it was intense at that elevation.  This was the part when we were close to 10,000 feet – the highest I noticed on my Garmin was 9,985 feet.

The race sweeper had caught up to me about 1/3 of the way up the mountain.  We chatted for awhile before I (nicely, I think) asked him to back off, cause it’s far more difficult climbing when you’re talking.  And I really do like to be alone, at least when I’m not lost.  I was using my ipod to keep me entertained, since there wasn’t much worry about wildlife.  With 2 miles to go to the next AS, I was out of water and it was hot.  Some horseback riders kindly asked if I needed water, so I got ½ a bottle of awesome ice cold water from them.  That helped me keep my sanity.

At the 3rd AS at mile 18 I dumped ice cold water on my head, splashed my face with it, and sat in the shade for about 20 minutes to cool down.  The volunteers were great, waiting on me hand and foot, bringing me ice water each time I asked for more. There were several runners who were still recovering here, so about 5 of us left the AS at the same time. 

For the next stretch it was nice to know there was someone behind me, in case I got lost.  Several of the trail markings had been compromised by the cattle eating the marking tape.  And at one point, I had to stop for a herd of cattle that was right next to the trail, staring at me.  I’m not too savvy with those big animals, so I waited until they walked away from the trail before continuing.

This portion of the trail was nearly unrunnable; I had looked forward to the downhill, thinking I could make up some time, but it was an ATV trail, with rocks, rocks, and more rocks.  More frustrating than fun.

AS 4, at mile 23, was when I knew I would be able to finish.  The weather had clouded up for a few miles, with a few raindrops and thunder and a breeze.  Now it was sunny again, and we were on a wide dirt road.  The two girls behind me had decided to drop, so I was once again the last runner.

AS 5, mile 26, sunny and hot, but only 5 miles to go. I started walking.  My toes were sore, my feet had hot spots, and I was no longer able to eat gels.  The last few miles were pretty, with an unexpected section through a small aspen grove.  But I took a wrong turn once (I blame the ribbon-eating cows), adding an extra mile to the course.

As I came to the finish line 11 1/2 hours after starting, my boys were there ringing a cow bell (how appropriate).  My husband had finished before me, and as I crossed the finish, all I could say was “Oh, man!”, and he said “I know what you mean!” By far the toughest run we have done: 5000 feet of climbing at altitude (8000-10000 feet), rocky trail, hot weather, bugs , dusty.  UGH!

On the positive, the finisher’s medal is the coolest: a clay devil’s fork made by school children on a simple hemp string.  We went straight to the brew pub where the awards ceremony was already in progress, but couldn’t find a table, so we sat inside and had a beer and dinner.  That night my feet were in so much pain I felt like cutting them off.  I had taken aspirin, but I had to get up at 2or 3 in the morning and get a bag of ice and sit outside with my son, icing the bottom of them. That helped.

Now, a month later, I’ve lost my first toenail and still haven’t run again.  I need something to inspire me.  A word of warning to anyone thinking of doing this run: It lives up to it’s name!

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Hey Landy - Congrats on gutting out what sounds like a really tough run!  Did your son massage your poor feet for you??   The elevation, alone, would've killed me.  Nice going, young lady.  Really nice.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I downgraded to the HM after getting hurt and man, even the HM was tough! Heat and altitude and intense sun were murder. I was glad I didn't have to be out there for 6 or 8 hours. One hand bottle wasn't enough even for a HM. 

I'm hoping to return for more abuse next year.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kenotic Runner

Biggest congrats.  Well done.  Live to run again.