Trail Runners

Havasu Falls - Trail Run (Read 219 times)

Any of you guys hiked or ran around here? I'm going here with the In-Laws, wife and 5 year old son in early July...It's $85 for a helicopter ride OUT after making the hike down the mountain. I was thinking it might be fun actually running out of there, if I leave first thing in the morning before it gets to be too hot. I'm planning on carrying my 2.1liter camelback with me and definitely my cellphone. Reading about the temperatures is really the only thing that makes me nervous. Average temps in the 90's during July so that's my only concern. Suggestions? Ideas? "Water - bring at least 70 ounces per-person for the hike down. More if you are hiking in midday. I have heard a report of at least one person dying of heatstroke hiking out of the canyon, so the danger is real." http://www.havasufalls.net/havasupai-hiking.shtml "This is 8 miles from Hualapai Hilltop, and 2,000 feet lower in elevation." http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/grand_canyon/supai-hiking.html
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
    Carl A

Looks awesome. Have fun! There really needs to be a race there (if there isn't one already).

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I know some folks over on the Extreme Running forum at Kickrunners have run the Canyon before. Might be beneficial to make an inquiry over there. Have fun!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I've run the R2R2R three times, but I've never been to Havasu. I think they had a big flood last year and it's closed...though I've heard it's opening soon (this month maybe?). May want to check. I did a R2R2R on May 12 and it was 113F at Phantom Ranch. Be prepared for the heat. July will most likely totally suck. Looks awesome though!
            I've run the R2R2R three times, but I've never been to Havasu. I think they had a big flood last year and it's closed...though I've heard it's opening soon (this month maybe?). May want to check.I did a R2R2R on May 12 and it was 113F at Phantom Ranch. Be prepared for the heat. July will most likely totally suck.Looks awesome though!

Every time I pass over the Grand Canyon, I look down and think "there's some lucky/crazy SOB running down there right now".

That's got to be a cool experience.

Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff