Trail Runners

Ultraterri - SC Ultra Trail Series 2010 (Read 410 times)

Yes, Terri said I could email her a week before the race to see if any slots opened. How did you find the navigation? Her races aren't a piece of cake, they're marked as advertised but it's not hard to get off the trail IME.

Oh I thought I was incredibly lost at one point and I was actually on the right trail!  I don't think I saw a marker for 6 straight miles.  And then at one point I went off trail and I couldn't actually see the real trail, and that was pretty late in the game.  Not marked well at all.  I think that's considered part of the "charm" of the Chattooga race Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

Heh. I remember meeting a couple runners about mile 25 of a Terri 50k, they were going the opposite direction and I told them I was sorta sure I was on course. They didn't believe me and kept going, I was right as it turned out and they ended up running an extra 10 miles or so. I went off course a few times but fortunately managed to stumble back on course before getting totally lost.

Like I said, her courses are marked as advertised, but it's really easy to miss the turn markers (while you're looking down at the trail) and then you're screwed because there aren't very many "on course" flags so by the time you realize you're lost, you're really LOST! D'oh!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

Unfortunately, I kind of agree with this. I wish she would use some arrow markers for the turns instead of the ribbons. I carried a map of the course in my pocket that I had to refer to at almost every "intersection" in order to make sure I took the right "road". I felt it was better to spend a few minutes checking the map than to risk going the wrong way and then having to make up for it later. Also, I ran by myself most of the time because I was one of 5 or so way off the back of the pack runners - everyone else had already cleared the turns and the aid stations whenever I would arrive there and I could not count on people to catch up to me and help me. The map proved very useful.
        5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB