Trail Runners

Dirty trail runners weekly- w/e 1/20 (Read 80 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

our third week into the new year Smile  the weather last week hosed me out of my planned 20 mile run, I'm going to try to squeeze in the middle of this week, but I think snow depth is probably going to hamper that effort as well.  I need to start tapering soon w/ the Uwharrie race fast approaching (2/2)

I've thrown out my paper plan now and will just have to roll w/ the flow, very worse case scenario means a lot of dreadmill and stairmaster work

would like to have the weekly mileage in the mid 30-ish range

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Wandering Wally

I'm just starting a 50K "plan" for a summer 50K.  Basically I am slowly increasing my long run and the mid-week runs to support it.  This week I really need to begin a weekly hill repeat night.  Not very exciting, but it will pay dividends in the summer.

Goal for this week is 40 miles with a 13 mile LSD run.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

I'm just starting a 50K "plan" for a summer 50K.  Basically I am slowly increasing my long run and the mid-week runs to support it.  This week I really need to begin a weekly hill repeat night.  Not very exciting, but it will pay dividends in the summer.

Goal for this week is 40 miles with a 13 mile LSD run.

This is sort of what I'm doing for a 50K in June.  Without the hill repeats.   Which I should probably do.   I can't really run in the evenings, and I currently get up at 4:30 am weekdays, so dreading the thought of waking up even earlier for a longer mid-week run.   But what's 30 more minutes at that time of the morning anyway.  Dead

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Birdwell

My plans for this week was shot to pieces due to illness. I was going to try for around 40 miles for the week. I'll be lucky to hit 20.

I'm getting closer to a race (moab red hot) and I wanted to try and get in 25-30 on Saturday, in two sessions. again, it's all up in the air. I'll be running by feel.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ sorry to hear that, hope you're feeling better soon!

doesn't look like I'll get my 20 mile run in before Uwharrie, my mileage is going to be a little lower as well as I've been forced to run on snowshoes- no way to get the same mileage on "shoes" that you would w/o

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Wandering Wally

Hill repeat night didn't happen and I don't want to put it too close to my long run.  In lieu of hill repeats I ran a snowy path.  Got passed by a snowmobile.  There was maybe 3 inches of fresh snow to deal with, so not that much, but just enough to require a little extra effort.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

under a rock

^ sorry to hear that, hope you're feeling better soon!

doesn't look like I'll get my 20 mile run in before Uwharrie, my mileage is going to be a little lower as well as I've been forced to run on snowshoes- no way to get the same mileage on "shoes" that you would w/o

I'm thinking your snowshoe mileage is going to help you at Uwharrie. It's a tough course. It's the only 40 miler that Western States will accept as a qualifying race! The time I did a training run out there I did lots of ankle rolling and there are some really good climbs. I would think the snow shoeing would help get your legs toned for the climbing.

wanderingoutlaw

As my long run on Sunday will be a road marathon preview, I got in a short trail run this afternoon--about 5 miles.  It sure is easier to run faster when I'm not carrying a camelback or handheld water bottles.

John

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm thinking your snowshoe mileage is going to help you at Uwharrie. It's a tough course. It's the only 40 miler that Western States will accept as a qualifying race! The time I did a training run out there I did lots of ankle rolling and there are some really good climbs. I would think the snow shoeing would help get your legs toned for the climbing.

that would be great if it did Smile  I didn't know that about being a qualifier for Western-that definitely speaks to the difficulty of the course!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

under a rock

that would be great if it did Smile  I didn't know that about being a qualifier for Western-that definitely speaks to the difficulty of the course!

I have a friend that her first try she signed up for the 40 and at the turn around at 20 she couldn't bring herself to go back out.

I finally got on the trails today. I led a group run of 8 nice hilly miles. We had some Brits, visiting for work, show up and they wanted some nice scenery so I scrapped my plan of going in the easier direction for the big hills. They had a great time and even stopped and did some climbing on boulders to get some great views, which made me nervous to watch them climb down from. The day was just clear enough that they could see the ridge lines of the Blue Ridge mountains in the distance.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ that sounds like fun- the trail run that is, not your friend bagging it at the 20 mile mark Smile

pretty decent week, 36 miles-about where I wanted to be tapering for Uwharrie- got a 13 mile run in yesterday and 6 on the dreadmill this morning- everything felt easy compared to the snowshoe running Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Short trail run today up into the bluffs overlooking the ocean, hoping to watch some of the Mavericks surfing competition.  But even with binoculars, there were no real waves to be seen (should be to the right of the air force station, past the row of boats, in the photo).  Hard to have a surfing contest without waves!  Hopefully it will pick up later in the day.  In any event, it was a beautiful day to be out there.

Mavericks

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

under a rock

What a lovely view!