Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - July 2010 (Read 475 times)

Hey, Gang -

Participated in a little 5k, most of it on the trails around the local marsh, so sort of a trail run.  Coach ran with me, pushing me the whole time.  Didn't PR, but we finished in 27:04 with each mile faster the previous.

EZ PZ week for me, with SOB on Saturday.  LOTS of snow still up there.  Should make things interesting.

Later -

FYI - If you're interested, you can check out some of the 300+ photos I took at Western States HERE.  IF you click "Slideshow" upon the top right-hand corner, Photobucket does a nice show.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Nice photos.

I ran 3:30 Sat. morning, picking all the hills I could. Felt strong for first 2:45 or so,  then started to fumble around. Still trying to figure out the fueling/electro/fluid thing. Felt beat up later in the day, suprisingly. 17.9 miles. See ya. 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Feeling very much like a non runner these days - trying to give my knee a rest to let it calm the F down.

So, not running, not walking. But, inline skating. Which means I'm mostly keeping clean.

Still... I couldn't help dirty-ing up my new VFF Treks (hooray - finally out in women's sizes!) for a couple of hours on the trails this weekend. Not running or walking, mind you - just checking out the shoes.

(Have to say I really like the Treks on the trails. More flexibility than the Bikilas, but better stone protection at the ball of the foot. Great fun digging in my toes while climbing the sandy/gravelly uphills. I wore them with Dirty Girl gaiters [unattached] and didn't pick up a single bit of debris.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Where does the time go?! I was doing pretty well at checking in but I guess summer is here and things are busier with the kids out of school, ramping up the miles etc. I also just recently moved from Charlotte to my own house in Essex. I'm still tripping over boxes and trying to get rid of stuff I no longer need or use. My house has been a rental for the past five years and I wasn't the landlord I thought I'd be so seems like something everyday suddenly breaks-a spring on my garage door broke earlier this week and I've gotten the lawn mower to run long enough to cut the grass along the street edge so when you drive by it's not any longer than the neighbors. Luckily it's been so hot!!!! that I don't think the grass is growing much. It took almost 2 weeks for the phone company to send me a modem so I've been internet challenged as well.

And like I said ramping up the miles-I've got the VT100 next weekend. Two weeks ago I got for my first ever 100 mile week in (without the help of a race) and last weekend went to the Finger Lakes 50's and ran the 50k. I did OK, the loop was 16.5m so I actually did 33m just under 6 hrs. It took almost all of the first loop to get my groove on. I think I placed 8th female overall and 3rd master. A couple runners who came in first may have taken a wrong turn somewhere so the RD is trying to sort things out. The leaders of the 50m say they weren't passed by anyone and 4:02 finish time for 33m seems a bit fast for a mostly single track course.

I hope everyone is doing well and Leslie I look forward to reading your WS report. Jack and I are dating and he's going to crew and pace me at the VT100. It's not a secret but we haven't broadcasted it alot-people are wondering why Jack's name isn't on the entry list since he won last year. He's entered the Burning River 100 in Ohio at the end of July (big road trip!) and is doing Leadville 3 weeks later. I'm not going to CO-more of a guy trip.

Take care! Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Hey Kelly!!  Very good to hear from you.  Funny, every time you start crossing my mind, you post.   Glad to hear things are going well for you.  Congrats on the 100-mile week.  Wow!  And good luck to you and Jack in your upcoming races.  I look forward to reading about them.

Buddo - Don't forget you just ran a 40-mile race.  Your body  may still be in recovery mode.

Buzzie - Did you ever find out what was wrong with your knee?

Headed to Ashland, OR, come noon for SOB tomorrow.  Looks to be a warm, muddy race (lots of snow still up there).

Take care folks, and see ya on the other side ~

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

under a rock

Ran a trail 8k this morning. Lots of negative talk in my head for the first mile. I didn't really want to run it due to heat and humidity but it was the last race of a series that I was doing well in. Finally got in a good groove about 1.5 mi and spent the rest of the race passing, only passed once by a girl in my AG. We hung together for over half a mile and did some chatting but I let her go in the last mile, just couldn't hang. Chicked a guy at the very end, love it. Having him in front of me motivated me to pick up the pace the last half mile, glad he could be there for me!

3rd in my AG, 24th overall out of about 90. Ended up winning my AG for the female short distance series and was 4th overall for the female short distance as well. Good day, glad I went in spite of my reluctance to race today!

Good luck at the VT100, Kelly!

Leslie, I enjoyed your pics from WS and I read your friend's blog report on it. I really enjoyed reading it. She did a great job making me feel like I was there with her. Congrats to her!

Ultrachick

Holy Smokes it's quiet around here-everyone must be in the woods somewhere....

Got a few minutes here at work to quickly check-in and let you know I'm happy with my results at the VT100 Endurance Run. I finished in 20:50:17, my random time goal based on thinking that the VT100 course was about 2 hrs faster than the Iroquois Trails 100 was 21:30. There was a 55% completion rate I believe due to the heat-temps got into the 80's and it was humid, typical for VT in July. 265 runners started however only 153 finished in the 30 hr time limit. I placed 29th overall, 7th female and technically 2nd female master but they don't recognize that. First female master was Kami Semick  (Northface runner) who was also first female overall-maybe they gave her both prizes. Some races double dip and some don't.

I'm feeling good-no major issues. Couple blisters but nothing that slowed me down too much. I'm working on a race report. Jack did a good job crewing and pacing me. We're off to Ohio in two weeks for him to run in the Burning River 100.

Hope everyone is well!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

under a rock

Great job, Kelly! Glad to hear your body is feeling good afterwards. Good luck to Jack at Burning River!
                  Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Buzzie - Did you ever find out what was wrong with your knee?

Leslie - it's just an IT Band thing. I've been working my way through it with help from my ART - think we have all the causal issues ironed out so we can avoid a repeat. The ongoing issue has been letting the inflammation in my knee settle down. Finally starting back to running - pain free!

Liz

pace sera, sera

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Got a few minutes here at work to quickly check-in and let you know I'm happy with my results at the VT100 Endurance Run. I finished in 20:50:17, my random time goal based on thinking that the VT100 course was about 2 hrs faster than the Iroquois Trails 100 was 21:30.

Congratulations on a race well run!

I'll be doing Burning River as well. Perhaps I'll see you - a glimpse at the start, before you're off in a blur!

Liz

pace sera, sera

Congratulations, Kelly!  I was thinking about you, knowing I needed to see what the final results were.

Buzzie - Hugs to the IT band.

SOB 50k in Ashland last weekend - Although I'm not happy with my time, I finished.  40 min slower than last year.  Heat was a factor, and Coach said the results showed that a lot of people were about 20 min slower, but it doesn't help the ole ego.  He also reminded me that I told him, "I just want to run SOB.  I know I won't have the miles/training.  If I finish, I finish.  If I don't, I don't."  Darn those coaches, anyway.   Once again, however,  was cursing who's stupid idea it was to make almost all of the final 3 miles uphill . . . when actually I shoulda been cursing who's stupid idea it was to once again run an event knowing those bastard miles are there. 

I've felt for a long time that my climbing abilities are lacking and, of course, I had my usual nutrition issues.  So the long and the short it - we are now going to be concentrating fully on hills and nutrition.  Hopefully, I'll see some positive results from McKenzie Forest in September.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Holy Smokes it's quiet around here-everyone must be in the woods somewhere....

Got a few minutes here at work to quickly check-in and let you know I'm happy with my results at the VT100 Endurance Run. I finished in 20:50:17, my random time goal based on thinking that the VT100 course was about 2 hrs faster than the Iroquois Trails 100 was 21:30. There was a 55% completion rate I believe due to the heat-temps got into the 80's and it was humid, typical for VT in July. 265 runners started however only 153 finished in the 30 hr time limit. I placed 29th overall, 7th female and technically 2nd female master but they don't recognize that. First female master was Kami Semick  (Northface runner) who was also first female overall-maybe they gave her both prizes. Some races double dip and some don't.

Nice job!!  My friend, Pete Stevenson, ran VT100 and had a really really rough day with it.    I think the heat and humidity got him too (we don't have any humidity out here, so it's tough).  20:50 is incredible!!

Yeah, sorry about it being quiet.  I've been down in Silverton for two week, acclimatizing and running the Hardrock 100.  What a great event....just amazing.  Beautiful.  Hard.  Really freakin' hard.  Finished in 38:40.  I'll post a race report one of these days... maybe.

- Chris

How're you feeling, Greg?  Recovered?

13.75 miles in the woods this a.m. in 3:45.  I wasn't too into it, and the fact that Karen kept stopping to talk to people didn't help matters.  With the third stop, I finally told them I had to keep going 'cause I was getting cold.  We probably spent close to 15+ min talking to people.  It's hard to get the legs going when you stop and talk.  Munched on two chocolate donuts and half a chicken/avo sandwich.  We hit the hills pretty hard and I flirted with nausea a short while, so I'm thinking I didn't eat enough.  I could tell 'cause once I did get some solid food in my stomach is started going away.  I just have to remember to follow up the eating about 15 min later with a little bit more.  If I can make sure I eat about every 30 min, I think it'll go a long way toward getting me through the runs better.

Tomorrow, 10 are on the schedule, then we're going to the Crabs baseball game.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday -

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Tomorrow, 10 are on the schedule, then we're going to the Crabs baseball game.

The Crabs. Heh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The Crabs. Heh.

10 miles this a.m. that felt good the whole time, even when climbing the hills.  I was surprised, considering how tired my legs were after yesterday.  It's gotta be the chocolate donuts.  Gotta be.

Spent the afternoon at the Crabs ballgame.  Sun was out, the ballpark was filled, kids all over the place, candy, hotdogs, hamburgers, peanuts, a coupla beers (well, The Hub and friends.  I was driving), the Crabs won - all in all a great day.

The Hub throwing out the first pitch:

Some of the crowd:

The players:

The World Famous Crabgrass Band:

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance