Trail Runners

Neo Trai Runners Extreme Team - OCTOBER 2008 (Read 399 times)

How you feelin today Kitrin? Smile Thinkin of you, wishing you a good day.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg and Leslie, Thank you so much for your encouragement and concern. My husband told me I should run, just like you did, and I suited up and everything. Ultimately, I frittered away my time and binged on Mint Milano cookies. But today is a new day! I am wearing my running clothes and jumping in the car soon. I will tell you how it goes. Kitrin
        Well? Did you run?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Morning, Kitrin! How'd the run go? Hey, when you're out there, put a small smile on your face. It'll make you feel better, and people will wonder what you're up to. Big grin

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just because I can't resist talking about myself, even when we're supporting our friend:ran an awesome 6 miles today, 4-5 am. All alone down the middle of what are usually very busy roads. I ran 10 yesterday and was expecting pain, so I ran keeping hr <150. walked="" whenever="" it="" hit="" 150="" for="" about="" 1="" minute.="" would="" drop="" to="" 120-130.="" my="" pace="" was="" actually="" good,="" 10:32,="" exactly="" a="" minute="" slower="" than="" the="" 5="" on="" tuesday,="" but="" infinitely="" more="" comfortable.="" i="" am="" quite="" pleased.="" no="" aches="" or="" strains.="" day="" off="" tomorrow,="" then="" 22="" on="" saturday="" on="" the="" steeps.="" stoked.="" read=""></150.>Van Aaken's Method twice yesterday, an early low hr training pioneer. Got me really excited about running and gave me a good structure on how to proceed for the next couple of years. Clarity of thought. I also got it for $1.00 through Amazon used. Big grin I recommend it. It makes eminent sense on how to condition yourself for endurance, and most importantly, for overall health. His training system in a sentence is, "Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig". Pretty smart huh? I'm applying it now. Did I say I was stoked? I actually began a running streak yesterday, maybe prematurely. I'm trying to run everyday. I will probably keep my mileage to 1 mile on my off days until after the 50K in a few weeks. Yeah baby! Gonna see how many days in a row I can run without missing any. At least 1 mile a day, to be bumped to 3 when I'm conditioned. That's a base of 21 miles a week. Throw in a 20 miler on the weekend and a midweek 10, and you've got 38. Pretty basic program for a marathon really. I joined the 2,000 mile club too, which tries to get , duh, 2000 miles in a year. That's an average of 42 miles per week. I'll hit that volume this week actually, and I plan on keeping it going till I accomplish my goal. We'll see how long this lasts, as I'm an impulsive kind of person, but I'm excited currently. Get Van Aaken's book. You won't regret it. If nothing else, it's inspirational.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Let me start by saying that endorphins won the war. However, I learned a little math along the way: slouching + jogging = slogging bad attitude = bad form = bad knee I knew I would have trouble because my feet kept thump thump thumping on the trail instead of the padding that I achieve when I am on a roll. At one point, I realized that I was furrowing my brow as I ran. After about an hour, my bad knee gave out and my good knee was feeling the strain, so I walked the rest of the way in. It was a shame because the endorphins were really starting to work and I was finally holding my head up, but it was too late. Ultimately, I consider this a victory because I feel better and survived an hour, which seemed like an eternity only a few months ago. This is why I admire all of you so much. I know that a big part of distance running is mental and that is my weakest link. The way all of you overcome your obstacles inspires me. Hey Leslie, I know you will be running a race, but if you could take a few pics before and after your race this weekend, I would love to see them. The area where you are racing is so scenic. I miss it. Greg, I am thinking of signing up for a race to motivate myself like you did. There is a 15K trail race nearby on Nov. 8th. Kitrin
                Greg - You crack me up. Yes, I'd definitely say your an impulsive person, just by reading your posts. But you go for it, dude! Anything that makes a positive difference and makes you feel better is A-OK in my book. Kitrin - So now you know what not to do on your runs. Yes, hold your head up and be proud of yourself for being out there. Soon, an hour will feel like nothin' at all. Keep track of your progress, and every couple of months, do yourself a favor and look back and see how far you've come in a relatively short time. I'm still amazed at what the last 2+ years have done brought to my life and how things have changed for me, both physically and mentally - and I owe almost all of it to running. Something that a mere 3 or 4 years ago, I wouldn't have thunk Wink I could do. When it's a mile, an hour, whatever - be proud of yourself for just being out there. Cool

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Looky who's back! Buddo-Cool to see you so stoked and managing the miles well. Good luck with your streak! Leslie-Good luck with your race this weekend-finish strong and have fun! Kitrin-how are you feeling? I can relate to the depression thing-I'm always on the edge it seems. Running keeps me mostly sane. Speaking of sanity-imagine being used to 60-70 miles a week and now only being able to manage 20 something. Greg, got any room on your virtual couch? My IT is better, the hammie is better too but it's the IT that's slowing me down. My physical therapist really dug into it on Tuesday so Wednesday I was able to go my furthest yet at 4.5m-painfree and no walking. I go to run today-by 3m I'm walking-UGHHHH! So I killed myself at the gym this morning. I didn't participate with my bootcamp class so I could do my own thing-squats w/the 45lb bar on my shoulders, deadlifts w/the 45lb bar, step downs, windmills on an airex pad, medial glute work with the red exercise ring, clam shells w/red ring, foam roller on IT, 10 min mat pilates with my class, push ups, dips, bicep curls, back fly, more abs on the ball and stretch. Yeah, I'll be feeling it tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Take care, Kelly
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Aren't we all at different stages of this roller coaster called life . . . Greg, I am so happy that you are doing well and excited. I am sure you will do great in your race! I know a small amount about Low HR training, but never tried it. When I first learned of it, I had hyperthyroid problems that caused my HR to SKYROCKET with very little effort. I almost could not exercise because the strain on my heart could cause long term damage. THAT was depressing. Now that my thyroid is stabilized, I may look into the training again. Thanks for the suggestion. Leslie, I am really excited for you. If I still lived in Auburn, I would go with you and crew for you or cheer you or SOMETHING. GO LESLIE!!! Kelly, I hate to hear about your problems. Like I mentioned above to Greg, one of the most depressing things to happen to me was when my body simply would not let me move. I honestly could not climb a flight of stairs without running out of breath. Then there was the weight gain associated with inactivity and increased appetite (another hyperthyroid issue). Double UGH! You will get over this, I know. You are so determined. I won't run today. I have a 4 hour drive and a paper to write for my class. Hopefully tomorrow . . . Kitrin
                      Kelly - Hang in there, Wonder Woman. Things will get better. In the meantime, just think of all the time you have now to study!! Greg - Nice! Things are going well! Good luck on the 2,000 miles. Shocked Kitrin - I'm hoping to get to Susanville a little early tomorrow, go find the trail, and walk a bit of it get some pictures. I have a tendency to take pictures during my runs to the detriment of those runs. Nice drive from Weaverville across Highway 3 to my niece's house. Beats driving through Redding any day! Later!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I hope the weekend is being good to all of you. I really look forward to Leslie's report and pictures. Greg, how is the training going? How is your body holding up? Kelly, any progress with your aches and pains? How is Anat & Phys? Hang in there! Has our OldGuy abandoned us? I am pretty convinced at this point that my thyroid is tweaking a little bit. All the classic symptoms are there: tension that will not go away, causing sleep difficulties, causing general exhaustion, causing the sugar munchies. The greatest challenge with this is that the problem is so completely chemical. If I knew how to control my thyroid I would. I ran one hour eight minutes this morning and it was work. Constantly thinking about my posture and talking to motivate myself takes so much out of me mentally. This time around, my body (translate knees) could have kept going, but I felt my mental strength weakening. "Look up, keep your core strong, just one more mile" over and over and over. I called it a victory because I surpassed four miles and came home to finish my homework. Perhaps a little wine tonight will help me sleep.
                          Hey All - Let me start by saying . . . . . it is freaking cold here!!! They don't think it'll get much above 42 on the trail tomorrow, and said lots of people running the 1/2 today came in with gloves, etc., still on. Guess this calls for my winter tights tomorrow . . . and gloves . . . and long sleeves. Special Needs/Drop Bags - a bit different here than on trails. You have to mark your bag according to which drop station you will want it (Mile 9, 14, or 20). With trail running (or at least the ones I've run where drop bags were utilized), the bags are carried from station to station. You have one bag with all your stuff in it. I had to mull over what to put in the two bags I used. Went with Miles 14 and 20. But let's get back to the cold - - snow on Mt. Ashland (took pics, will share later), and up around the 4,000 foot level, a bit of snow on the side of the road. Just hope the wind isn't as bad tomorrow as it was here this afternoon. However, the run is through a canyon . . . Undecided Kitrin - Good luck with the thyroid. Hopefully, your doc can help you get it stabilized again. Okay - Gotta get ready to go get some dinner, then early lights out. It was only a 3 1/2 hour driver here today, but I'm tired. Later!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I want to respond to you guys longer tomorrow. Just want to say go get em Leslie! And, good to hear you're sticking with it Kitrin, even if it's tough.

I made it! Not even close to the time frame in which I was hoping, but I made it! 6:00:11 (something like that). The last 8 miles were really hard. Not only did my legs decide to poop out on me, my left hip/hip flexor kept trying to seize up on me. At times, it literally stopped me in my tracks, feeling like someone stuck a red hot poker from my butt through to the front. Stretch it out a lot, and walked a lot of the last 8 miles. With a little less than 1.5 miles to go, came upon a guy who was struggling as much as I was, so I said, "Wanna limp/run/walk in together?" Couldn't believe it when I looked at my Garmin coming into the end and we were doing a 10:08 mm. Crossed the line together. Very cool. Made the mistake of walking through Wal-Mart to get some eye drops - and found this nice big container of white powder donuts! Big grin So I am sitting here, after eating a couple of pieces of pizza, and stuffing my piehole with donuts and milk. Mmmmmmm! Lots more to say, but I'm pooped, so I will fill you in on the rest later. Re weather report - it was so frigging cold this morning!! When we left the hotel, it was 18 degrees!! Shocked I literally did not feel like I warmed up totally until about Mile 18/19. Had my gloves on until about Mile 22. Okay, me compadres . . . Later!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Great job Leslie! I can relate to the walking Big grin But you finished and that's the important part-another learning experience under your belt. I checked out the web site and it looks like a great marathon to do - I also was looking for results but they're not posted yet so I'm glad you didn't keep us hanging. Can't wait for the report! Kelly
                                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.