Trail Runners

Neo Trai Runners Extreme Team - OCTOBER 2008 (Read 399 times)

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, way to go!!!!! I am sure the cold weather was a bit of a shock, but is it better or worse than hot and humid? Serious question. I hope you have a quick and smooth recovery. I did my 90 minute run today, but it was pretty slow. I watched my form and had a good night's sleep last night, so no knee problems. My legs are a little tired. The weather was overcast and warm and I had forgotten what it is like to run in those conditions. Another reason for the slow pace. I achieved another mental victory in that I could have (and wanted to) stop at 1:10 and talked myself through the last 20 minutes. I kept saying, "Your legs are fine, your breathing is fine, just keep moving." A couple of good things happened during the run. First I think I finally determined what is so appealing about Autumn for me. Fall has always been my favorite season and I think it is because of the wind in the trees, rustling the crispy leaves, makes a soothing sound like water in a river or the ocean. I am very auditory. Also, I enjoy watching the leaves fall. I don't get snow, so I watch leaves. Usually I see various birds, red and gray squirrels, and rabbits on my run, but today I saw a blue heron. I startled him from his perch and he flew low across the small pond that I run around. THIS is why I run trails! Here's wishing you all a good week! Kitrin
      Leslie - great job in finishing the race despite all the pain. It's so difficult to predict a finishing time in a trail race. The terrain, weather and so many other factors can effect your pace. The only true measure of a sucessful race is knowing you gave 100% effort and left nothing on the trails. It sounds like you did exactly that. You are one gutsy chick! Kitrin - Keep the pace slow and steady and you will keep progressing. Besides, isn't enjoying nature around you more rewarding than thinking about how fast you are running. Dan
      Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
        Great job leslie! I don't post often here - maybe I should, but things are so busy. Wanted to let you know I was thinking of you on that cold day. We turned our house heater on for the first time this year, and my boys and I spent Sunday morning snuggling under blankets watching the Sunday morning national news show - that one were they show the nature scenes and sounds?(you can tell I don't see it that often - usually i'm out the door running). Anyway - congrats on the marathon. Each trail run is so completely different an experience, and has it's own story. Can't wait to hear more about it.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          Thanks, everyone. Haven't had time to do a report yet, but checked the results, and I came in 417 out of 442. Yes Kitrin - Good job on keeping yourself going. Like Dan said, when out there on the trails, just enjoying nature is reward itself. Later!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

To all interested, opinionated individuals: I am considering entering a 15K trail race out here on Nov. 8. I know that I can run for 90 minutes (which I translate into 6-7 miles) solidly with a little energy to spare, even yesterday when I was not so motivated and it was rather warm and humid. Do you think I can run 9.3 miles in a little over three weeks? If I do decide to enter, do you have any training advice between now and then? All input is much appreciated! Kitrin
              Do you think I can run 9.3 miles in a little over three weeks? Kitrin
              YES. Go for it. Here's quote I got from someone's race report: "The ultimate goal and the most satisfying reward is not how fast a runner goes but how well a runner manages his or her struggles to find the finish." ~Dave Bursler Some advice - practice now with taking in sports drinks, food, GU, whatever you think you may want to consume. Do not try anything new on race day. Keep making the slow steady progress you have been, and you should do just fine. You will do fine in the race, and it'll give you a taste of what to expect from an event. Above all - Have Fun!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey everybody! Kitrin- GO FOR IT! It'll motivate you and inject some fun into your training, or at least some anxiety. Tips? Hmm..run slowly. 10:00 miles, which is what you're running according to a couple of post ago, is kinda fast if you don't have a big aerobic base. Do you know your hr at this pace? If it's above 150, you're probably pushing it and not having as much fun as you could be if you just slowed down a bit. I'm in the middle of learning this myself. Just cruise your training runs comfortably and you'll be fine. I've concluded, in my limited wisdom, that the beginning runner is one tough individual. When your hr is jacked for a while, it hurts to keep going. The advanced runner can run more comfortably at faster rates. Not so for us newbs. We have to grit it out. Kitrin, keep going girlfriend. And yes, do the race. You can run 9 now on mental power alone. Think about it, if "they" were going to chop your hand off unless you ran 9 miles, guess what? You would run 9 miles, no problem. Instill the same kind of "must" attitude and you'll be fine. Leslie- way to go girl! Was it fun, minus the hot poker in the ass feeling? Kelly-how you recovering? Hurting still? What does IT pain feel like? Me- had the best run of my life Saturday. 22.5 miles. Late start at 4:30 AM. Ran 8.5 miles on empty stomach, started bonking, downed honey every 1/2 hour from then on, beauty. Steady energy. No I-have-to-get-my-pants-off-now-or-I'm-going-to-crap-myself moments like I've had on several of my last long runs. 4 to be exact on my last run. This run was nothing but fun. I felt like I could have run the 50k that day easy, and broke 7 hours on a hilly course. Just hiked the ups, ran all else, real fun! I even found some new trail in a park I thought I had run all of. Due to the later than normal start, I ran till 9 which was an hour later than normal for me, so I got to see some real nice light at neat angles through the trees. With the fall kickin in full time and the leaves changing colors, it was gorgeous. Everything about this run went great. No pain at all. Recovered real nice, no pains. 25 this Saturday, then taper for the 50K. Whoo-hoo0!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Good for you, Greg! Glad your run went so well! Bizz Johnson - It's a beautiful area, but after awhile with no scenery, terrain changes, it got boring. How people run 26.2 miles on pavement, I don't know. Right now, I have no desire to run this race again, but we'll see.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Question for Kelly: think I ought to bag the 25 planned for this Saturday? That would be my last long run before the race 8 days later. Too long too close to race day? I did 22.5 last Saturday. I felt like I could have hit the 30 miles easy.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Buddo-yep, let's bag the 25 for this weekend, I'm thinking 12 to 15 max for a long run and then it's taper mode. Sounds like you're doing well so let's not ruin a good thing and risk hurting yourself going 25. Rest up and keep those feelin' good endorphins! Kitrin-Do The Race! It's a no brainer!! You'll feel better once you have a goal-it will give you a reason to go run so that you can't blow it off. Make sure you tell some other friends to help hold you to it. Go get your endorphins going! Leslie-how are you? Feeling fresh yet? Big grin Buddo you also asked what IT band pain feels like. Well, it differs. For some people it's like knives being stuck into the side of your knees. For me, it felt like where your quad muscle attaches to the bone above your knee and where the muscle attaches to the bone below your knee on the outside of your leg would get really tight so that I couldn't bend my knee beyond a certain point. Also, I would have some mild pain from the impact of going downhill. Through physical therapy, I've discovered my medius glute muscle is weak on my right side. The IT band starts at your hip and goes down the side of your leg-all the tightness was really between my hip and knee but the pain was above and below my knee. My left hammie has been bothering me all summer so I worked hard strengthening the left that now I'm out of balance the other way. Needless to say, I'm strength training equally on both sides now to balance out eventually. Sorry for the long winded answer and if I said things you already know. Kelly
                      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                        Kelly - Did you and I go to the same person for our butts/hammies/IT band?? Wink I'm feeling better, not as sore. Ran 3 miles this a.m. and kept up a pretty good clip, but when I climbed the second story at work, my legs were tired. The residual problem that came up after my a.m. run was tightness in the tendon at the back of my left leg where the leg bends. (((sigh))) I may have to force myself to go get a massage this weekend. Darn! Have decided to bag the Desert High 50k in December. Not only does my coach think I'm a candidate for hurting myself with this hip thing, but the idea of running 31 miles in a few weeks holds little appeal to me. Glad I waited to send in my entry fee. From now until the first of the year, it will be relax, renew, re-energize, work on strength training. Sounds like a fine idea to me!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, this is just my opinion, but you still have the rest of your life to run 50Ks. If you take some time to rest, refresh and enjoy, you may extend the amount of time that you can run later in life. Plus, the 50K will be more fun and feel better if you are in fine form when you run it. Kelly, you mentioned that your body is healing, but how is the studying? My class hit me hard the past two weeks AND I am adding another class next week. They are history courses, so LOTS of reading, analyzing and writing. Greg, your race is NEXT weekend right? I am so happy that you are feeling good and excited for the challenge. I am thinking about taking a page from your book (the one you mentioned) and start running a little more often, but in smaller increments with one long run per week. Maybe that will help me be more consistent in my training. I continue to be amazed that a loop trail can feel like it is uphill for 3/4 and downhill for only 1/4. Perhaps steepness is the key. Regardless, I am baffled. I stopped at three miles today but that was because I wanted to finish while I still felt good for once. I think it was a good decision and I actually look forward to my next run. So here is the question . . . are total miles for the week more important than how they are distributed over the week? Kitrin
                            So here is the question . . . are total miles for the week more important than how they are distributed over the week? Kitrin
                            I'm going to defer the bulk of that question to Ms. Ultrachick. However, during "training season," I ran smaller amounts of miles 2-3 days a week and did 2 back-to-back long runs with extended mileage Are you doing any cross-training/strength training on your non-run days? Other cardio will give your legs a rest while still building your cardiovascular system. Strength training will allow you develop all the muscles used in running as opposed to just the legs. You can do some great strength training exercises for your legs that will help you power up the hills more efficiently. You can also do hill exercises to help strengthen your legs (hill repeats, hill sprints), but I'm unclear as to how far into your running "career" you are. Also when you're running/walking hills - are you taking big steps, or are you taking small, compact steps? I find that taking smaller, compact steps helps conserve my leg energy and doesn't wear me out as much. Only mountain goats can bound up hills. Big grin Hoping to hit the Arcata Comm Forest tomorrow a.m. for an easy hour. Have a good weekend!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Kelly, you mentioned that your body is healing, but how is the studying? My class hit me hard the past two weeks AND I am adding another class next week. They are history courses, so LOTS of reading, analyzing and writing. So here is the question . . . are total miles for the week more important than how they are distributed over the week? Kitrin
                              Studying is going well. I've gotten into a groove and have figured out some tricks to help me along. The instructor is really helpful in that she gives a time line on getting the work done. I've been following this as closely as possible so I don't procrastinate until the night before everything is officially due. As for your mileage question.....I would have to say that total weekly mileage (volume) is more important than daily volume. This is how training plans differ-by how the miles are disrtibuted. For you being close to your first race just get those miles in making sure you get a long run in there somewhere. If you can get to a 7-8 mile long run then you should be good to go at your 15k. If you want more specific help, then you need to unlock your log so I can take a peak at what you've been doing. Maybe knowing that other people can see what you've been up to will motivate you to get out there! Big grin You can look at mine-it's not very exciting right now except the huge bar showing my 100 miler is still there. Which reminds me....I did an interview today for a local monthly sport newspaper. Each month they feature a reader athlete...I'm going to be in the December issue!
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                I did an interview today for a local monthly sport newspaper. Each month they feature a reader athlete...I'm going to be in the December issue!
                                Ms. December! Woo Hoo!! - - - with or without the bib number?? Big grin

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance