Trail Runners

Neo Trai Runners Extreme Team - OCTOBER 2008 (Read 399 times)

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I confess. Undecided I don't keep track of my training. Perhaps I should, but my current lifestyle and temperament are holding me back. I started out so well . . . I guess the best way to describe my routine is "flying by the seat of my pants." I run three days per week, on average. Usually, that contains two 45 minute to one hour runs and one longer 90 minute run as of the last few weeks. What I am thinking is maybe changing to four days per week with a 30, 45, 30, 90 scheme or five days with a 15, 30, 45, 15, 90 then increasing the lower end amounts and the long run each week for a while. On my days off, I tend to slack. This is one reason for upping the days and lowering the distance/time amounts. I also figure that on a 15 minute day, I can do some upper body, abs, stairs, walking, etc. Right now I do some upper body and abs after my shorter runs once or twice per week. Leslie, if I could see you in person, I would ask for your autograph. Big grin Will the article be online where we can read it? Kelly, you inspire me in every facet of your life. Thank you for who you are and your willingness to share yourself. Greg, I hope you are busy running and enjoying the experience. Remember that we miss you! Oldguy? What's up? Okay, back to the homework. Kitrin
      Don't want to burst your bubble, Kitrin, but Kelly is the one with the article written about her. Although, I'm always willing to give my autograph to anyone who wants it! Smile

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

UGH! I saw the quote in your post and mixed it up. Shocked Heck, I'll take any of your autographs. I think you guys are great. Kitrin

Ultrachick

All right! I'm flattered. I'll send the link when it comes out. It was a beautiful day here today and I got to spend it inside at ski school orientation at Stowe. This will be my 9th year teaching skiing there this year-some years I've been full time but for the past few I'm a part-timer which isn't a bad deal. I work Chrsitmas week and every Saturday through March and I get a pass for me and each of my kids and a paycheck to boot! I was hoping to run today but I had to leave early (I'm an hour from Stowe) and by the time I got home it was almost dark (darn those reps selling ski stuff cheap to us pros-I got a new helmet coming!) Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            All right! I'm flattered. I'll send the link when it comes out. All that and a pinup as well. Jack is one lucky dude. Howdy guys! Not sure why I haven't popped in lately. Kitrin, I like your plan. As one who goes off the deep end in regards to reading and studying my different hobbies, I would suggest you don't get any more detailed in your training than what you have outlined. Your plan is beautiful in it's simplicity and your plan of gradually increasing time and/or volume is dead on. Run within your comfort level and advance as you see fit. Too much reading, at least for me, will lead to conflicting opinions and approaches. In the end, it comes down to stress and adaptation/rest. Just yo-yo the intensity and recovery, gradually increasing them, learning to listen to your body, and you will go far! Take it for what it's worth as one who learned that lesson the hard way. Leslie, I'm guessing you may change your plans as time goes on. A little more distance/time from your last race and maybe you'll be ready to race on more? I did 15 Saturday, 4-7:30. Not as good as last weeks run, but last week was just one of those runs where the stars align and bammo, you could go forever. This week I stumbled alot more and it was more work. I was tired by the time I was done. I may have overdone it last week. All week long I had this groin strain/pain that is only now beginning to go away. It only hurt me getting in and out of the car at first, but then graduated to my running mid week last week, hurting on my leg extension to the rear as I pushed off. It went away during my running and feels only like a minor strain now. Right achilles tight too. I went back to racing flats on three road runs last week, and, just like that, hip pain. reverted back to my trail shoes, and it's gone. Mystery solved in that area I guess. I'll give it a try again next year when I've dropped some weight and we'll see how it goes. Keeping the streak alive so far, two weeks running at least 1 mile everyday. Last night had a very refreshing 1.85 miles around the neighborhood, hr average 130. Slow, invigorating, getting the oxygen into the system. I guess it's taper time this week. The 50k is next Sunday. I'm not nervous. I think I'm going to run the first half/20 miles keepin hr <150 45="" then="" kick="" it="" up="" the="" last="" half/10.="" i="" want="" to="" break="" 7="" hours,="" though="" i'm="" quite="" nervous="" about="" the="" elevation="" profile,="" 16,000"="" of="" gain="" and="" loss!="" i="" train="" on="" that="" kind="" of="" ration="" however,="" so="" i="" feel="" ready.="" there's="" a="" video="" clip="" of="" the="" trail="" and="" the="" lookout="" from="" the="" bluff="" if="" you="" google/youtube="" bite="" of="" the="" bluff="" or="" something="" like="" that.="" oh,="" two="" weird="" things="" saturday="" morning.="" i="" run="" in="" a="" gorge,="" where="" i="" usually="" try="" to="" keep="" to="" the="" upper="" regions,="" sometimes="" dipping="" down="" and="" across="" the="" river="" at="" the="" bottom="" and="" the="" road="" that="" parallels="" it.="" about="" 2="" miles="" in,="" i="" drop="" down="" to="" the="" road="" and="" there="" is="" a="" blazer="" parked="" there.="" this="" is="" on="" forbidden="" dr="" (the="" road)="" which="" is="" so="" named="" because="" in="" 1920="" or="" something="" they="" banned="" cars="" on="" it.="" it's="" running,="" the="" running="" lights="" are="" on,="" the="" windows="" are="" down="" (it's="" 40="" degrees="" out)="" and="" there="" is="" no="" one="" in="" it.="" i="" shine="" my="" lights="" around,="" no="" one.="" i="" keep="" running,="" then="" i="" decide="" to="" turn="" around="" around="" get="" the="" license="" plate.="" i="" memorize="" it="" then="" move="" on.="" i="" look="" back="" over="" my="" shoulder="" in="" a="" bit="" and="" the="" headlights="" are="" on="" and="" coming="" in="" my="" direction.="" i="" dip="" into="" the="" woods="" back="" onto="" the="" trail="" and="" turn="" my="" lights="" off.="" i="" do="" this="" because="" when="" i="" memorized="" the="" plates,="" i="" realized="" this="" was="" a="" detective="" in="" an="" unmarked="" car.="" i="" surmized="" that="" this="" was="" somebody="" doing="" something="" inappropriate="" in="" the="" back="" of="" their="" car,="" laying="" down="" since="" i="" couldn't="" see="" them,="" possibly="" a="" dirty="" cop.="" the="" moon="" was="" out="" so="" i="" walked="" up="" the="" trail="" watching="" the="" car.="" he="" pulled="" into="" a="" parking="" lot="" in="" front="" of="" vally="" green,="" a="" 200="" year="" old="" inn="" in="" the="" heart="" of="" the="" park="" which="" has="" road="" access.="" i="" kept="" going,="" looking="" over="" my="" shoulder,="" afraid="" i="" was="" being="" followed.="" i="" took="" out="" my="" earbuds="" from="" my="" ipod,="" and="" kept="" my="" lights="" out.="" i="" ran="" in="" the="" dark="" for="" a="" couple="" of="" minutes="" until="" i="" was="" sure="" i="" was="" alone="" again.="" scared="" me="" a="" bit,="" but="" as="" i="" was="" running="" quietly,="" i="" heard="" a="" woman="" screaming.="" i="" mean="" screaming,="" like="" she="" was="" dying="" or="" being="" killed.="" it="" was="" in="" front="" of="" me="" maybe="" 300="" yards.="" this="" was="" something="" completely="" seperate="" from="" the="" dirty="" cop="" thing.="" i'm="" thinking="" some="" kids="" came="" into="" the="" woods="" for="" a="" campfire="" and="" a="" girl="" is="" getting="" date="" raped="" or="" something,="" or="" some="" guy="" was="" hurting="" a="" lady="" on="" the="" edge="" of="" the="" park.="" i="" keep="" running="" towards="" it,="" and="" she's="" still="" screaming,="" maybe="" 2="" minutes="" now!="" the="" trail="" bends="" back="" to="" the="" gorge="" and="" the="" sound="" is="" now="" on="" my="" right.="" a="" trail="" i've="" never="" been="" on="" goes="" up="" towards="" it.="" i="" decide="" to="" go,="" shining="" my="" flashligt="" ahead,="" and="" i="" see="" a="" building.="" i="" think,="" "whew,="" just="" some="" domestic="" violence,"="" which="" is="" bad,="" don't="" get="" me="" wrong,="" but="" is="" not="" as="" bad="" as="" someone="" getting="" raped="" or="" killed="" that="" i'm="" going="" to="" walk="" into.="" but="" as="" i="" keep="" going,="" i="" see="" that="" the="" building="" is="" standing="" by="" itself,="" and="" is="" a="" covered="" picknick="" area="" shelter="" with="" bathrooms="" attached.="" it's="" on="" the="" edge="" of="" a="" giant,="" open="" park,="" maybe="" a="" quarter="" mile="" across.="" i="" pick="" up="" a="" rock,="" now="" convinced="" i'm="" going="" to="" find="" a="" woman="" getting="" raped,="" and="" i'm="" going="" to="" have="" to="" brain="" the="" guy.="" i="" look="" around,="" nothing.="" i="" look="" for="" a="" car,="" nothing.="" i="" look="" for="" 5="" minutes,="" nothing.="" so,="" i="" leave.="" i="" went="" back="" to="" the="" trail="" and="" kept="" running.="" anticlimactic,="" i="" know,="" but="" what="" can="" i="" say?="" i'm="" sure="" somebody="" got="" hurt="" that="" night,="" but="" i="" don't="" know="" what="" happened.="" i="" didn't="" see="" anything="" on="" the="" news="" about="" anything="" happening="" in="" the="" gorge="" that="" night="" so="" i="" didn't="" say="" anything.="" the="" plates="" are="" da="" 2d-63="" in="" case="" anything="" happens="" to="" me.="" i="" can't="" see="" calling="" the="" cops="" and="" reporting="" any="" of="" this.="" there's="" no="" substance="" to="" it.="" anyway,="" there="" you="" go.="" what'd="" you="" guys="" do="" this="" weekend?="" it="" was="" a="" beautiful="" day="" here="" today="" and="" i="" got="" to="" spend="" it="" inside="" at="" ski="" school="" orientation="" at="" stowe.="" this="" will="" be="" my="" 9th="" year="" teaching="" skiing="" there="" this="" year-some="" years="" i've="" been="" full="" time="" but="" for="" the="" past="" few="" i'm="" a="" part-timer="" which="" isn't="" a="" bad="" deal.="" i="" work="" chrsitmas="" week="" and="" every="" saturday="" through="" march="" and="" i="" get="" a="" pass="" for="" me="" and="" each="" of="" my="" kids="" and="" a="" paycheck="" to="" boot!="" i="" was="" hoping="" to="" run="" today="" but="" i="" had="" to="" leave="" early="" (i'm="" an="" hour="" from="" stowe)="" and="" by="" the="" time="" i="" got="" home="" it="" was="" almost="" dark="" (darn="" those="" reps="" selling="" ski="" stuff="" cheap="" to="" us="" pros-i="" got="" a="" new="" helmet="" coming!)=""></150>

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Whoa, don't know what happened here. Weird.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Okay, Buddo, now that's a story for the ages. Very creepy. Be careful out there! Glad you figured out what was causing the hip pain. Dang roads, anyway. Good luck with the taper, and even better luck with your run. You're gonna do great!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Off the rails again. After two days of sleeping until noon and not showering, it is clearly time to start medicating. Sigh. So, thinking ahead. I have lost a bit of training time rather close to a race (two weeks from Saturday). Not a bunch, but enough to bother me. I am afraid that if I try to be aggressive at this time it will be counterproductive. At the same time, I need to keep some kind of base if I plan to run nine miles soon. Any suggestions? Kitrin
                    Kitrin - How many days of the last 2 weeks have you not run? It seemed that just a couple of days ago you were pretty consistent. And yes - get that medication figured out! Go now! Git!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Off the rails again. After two days of sleeping until noon and not showering, it is clearly time to start medicating. Sigh. So, thinking ahead. I have lost a bit of training time rather close to a race (two weeks from Saturday). Not a bunch, but enough to bother me. I am afraid that if I try to be aggressive at this time it will be counterproductive. At the same time, I need to keep some kind of base if I plan to run nine miles soon. Any suggestions? Kitrin
                      Think about now. Get up, put your running gear on, and get out the door. Run comfortably for an hour, longer if you can seeing you missed a long run. Go do it. When you get back, shower, get dressed, eat, and go to the doc. Then write back. We'll talk after that.

Well?

Kinda quiet around here. Hope Kitrin and Kelly are doing allright. Did 10 this morning. Left me feeling tired and stiff. 4-6 am, on the streets, so nobody screaming and no dirty cops. I did see a meteor, which was cool. Burning through the atmoshpere. Lasted about 3 seconds. Last longish run before Sundays 50K. 6 miles tomorrow, then just streak miles, a minimum of 1 on Friday and Saturday each.

Buddo - Good luck Sunday! Where's the run at (I have a terrible memory for this stuff. Blush ) Re your comments on my marathon report: I agree with you on running in the dark, which I do since I run in the a.m. I don't like seeing my shadow, either. I've never done any night time trail running. Would like to at some point, but it would have to be a group run with my friends, Karen and Bill. The Hub would have a cardiac if I did it by myself. Okay, he'd have a cardiac that I was running out there at night anyway, but he would really have one if I was by myself. Going to Humboldt State Univ. this a.m. to have a full Complete Health and Fitness Evaluation Assessment done. For $65 bucks, get the whole shebang. Will let you know how it goes. Kitrin - How ya doin'? Kelly - Hope the course work's not completely killing you.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I'm wearing my running gear and I'm on my way out the door. I promise. Be back in a bit. Kitrin
                                Whoo hooo Kitrin! Way to go girl. Kelly- why is your husband nervous about you running in the woods at night? You never run into anybody else out there. Shocked