Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - April 2008 (Read 349 times)

Welcome to April, everyone, and the hopes that we, especially the Mid West, start getting better weather. I'm ready for some warmth! At least a little bit. Ciao!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Second PT appointment yesterday just about knocked me for a loop. Lots of balancing and squatting on both sides of a BOSU. Holy Crap! And this morning, 5 miles with 10 short hill repeats. My thighs are cussing at me this a.m., discussing whether or not to mutiny. Hope all is well with the rest of you semi Neo-Fights.

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

The only solution for mutiny is a good beating so, go get em. The harder you train, the easier the race will be. I put a nice little write up of my night time Saturday run on the other thread. Just got back from a run thrugh the woods. Gorgeous here, 47 degrees, blue skies, cool breeze. Nice. Trying to steadily increase miles while eating less and watching for injuries. Lost three pounds so far. I'll get my wife to take a picture of the gut tonight. How do I post pictures Leslie?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

I download mine to www.photobucket. It's very easy (and free) to sign up and get started. You have to download your pics to your computer, then "Browse" in photobucket to your picture folder and download to photobucket from there. Once you do that, you can edit them to message board size so that theyr'e not HUGE. Then: 1. Click the IMG box in photobucket and copy the link 2. Here, click the last square box above (looks like a mountain range) 3. Paste between the <> <> your link from photobucket 4. Remove from your link the extra [IMG]s and voila! You should have a photo!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Check this out. It's very cool. www.greatquotesmovie.com

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Cool link-that was worth 3 minutes of my time. No mutining allowed Leslie-you're in this for the long haul. I have to go teach abs class-chat later! Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Ultrachick

Well Guys, how crazy is this.....I'll be two weeks out from Boston this weekend and Jack and I are going to Connecticut on Saturday to a 16m trail race. I need to do a 20 miler this weekend anyway so why not a race? A little warm-up and cool down and I've got my 20. Most people would be worried about falling and hurting themselves with a big marathon on the horizon-I'm going to live life on the edge and risk it Wink! Better yet...I'll be on dirt! Jack did this race last year and came in second overall so we'll see how he does this year and this will give me an idea where I'm at on the trails. Hope everyone is having a good day! Kelly
                  I assume Jack's the hubbie? If so, that's great you get to run with your mate. I used to be a powerlifter and would rag on my then-girlfriend-now-wife how running was dumb and weightlifting was where it's at as she was a jogger. Now, I run all the time and rag on her how lazy she is as she can't find the time to run. I wish we could run together. A 5 and 6 year old make it impossible for us to be on the trails together.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kelly - You'll have a blast! But yeah, don't fall and hurt yourself. Is there something runner's say, like, "Don't break a leg." (??) Another PT appointment this a.m. Was suppose to do 3 miles and strength training, but I figured I'd get a good enough workout at PT, and boy was a I right! Supposedly in a couple of weeks my legs will feel like what I'm doing tain't nothin', but right now they're very vocal in their irritation. However, the fact that I'm able to do these exercises at all makes me feel really good about myself. More squatting and balancing and squatting, on and off the BOSU, then made me hold like a broom handle over my shoulders, sit on a box and lift up until my thighs were just above being level . . . then hold it for a minute. This is after almost an hour of the other stuff. I made it 40 seconds before I had to sit down or topple over. . . . Then I had to finish the remaining 20 minutes. My legs were shaking so bad, it was hilarious. I think I want my goal to be able to hold that position for at least a couple of minutes with my full bladder pack on my back. He watched me run on the treadmill and told me that my right foot was almost dragging on the forward swing and that I hit heavier on that heel. All because of the injury 10 years ago. I then had to walk around on my heels, knees flexed, for 5 minutes. Talk about burning in the shins! But guaranteed to guard against shin splints and to help strengthen that ankle. Anyway - thankfully, I told my bosses I wouldn't be in 'til after 10:00 this a.m. 'cause I definitely had to go home and shower! Later! The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.Martin Luther King, Jr.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Technically Jack is my "Significant Other" and we really don't run a lot together because of our schedules, he's much faster than me and he goes a lot farther than me. We have a cute ritual of kissing each other good-bye at the start line of races and say "see you later". Obviously on loop courses we don't see each other but on out-and-back courses we do and it's fun to see where he is. I know what the kid thing is like-I have 2 boys myself. One is 12 and my other will be 11 in May. Ran 6 miles tonight-it actually got above 50 today with blue skies and lots of sunshine. A mix of snow and rain and highs in the 30's for Friday. Spring was nice while it lasted. It's supposed to rain about an inch in CT tomorrow too-the trails should be nice and muddy. Wink I actually drove the 2 miles to the closest dirt road to run tonight which I've never done before. This is how desperate for dirt I am and tired of pavement! Leslie, your physical therapist sounds more like what I do in personal training. Give him a thumbs up for me and keep working hard-you'll have buns of steele and kick butt at your 50K! And Buddo, what are you doing to help your wife so she can get out and run? Big grin Hire a sitter and take her out with you! See ya! Kelly
                        You guys are so nice. Yeah, I was actually looking at treadmills on Craigslist yesterday. She has said she wanted one for awhile. I offered to help get her up a half hour earlier and then run when she gets back but she's pretty maxed out. We are both therapists, work 50 hour weeks, she teaches on top of that two classes at two local colleges, grades papers, and we both give of ourselves to the people in our lives (informal therapy). She was pretty wiped last night, just wanting to be held. We have very little margin in our lives. We just got married summer before last and are adopting the two girls we took on as foster children Oct before we got married. Picked up a mortgage too. Wow, sounds like alot when you put it down on paper. I'm doing what I can. All our free time, what there is of it, is spent doing laundry and keeping the house semi orderly. I usually have to run on my lunch breaks and for my long runs get up at four in the morning to be home by 9 for chores and the day ahead. I did this all last year too. Makes for a tough schedule. I don't know how we can run together on a regular basis. One option is to use the play room at the YMCA where they have treadmills and we can watch the girls, but our schedules work out that we really don't have any time together in the evenings to do that. Sounds like I'm crying. I'm not. We've got to get some margin in there some where. Oh well. Thanks for the concern.

Hang in there, Buddo. Sounds like you guys need to eliminate something before it eliminates you. Especially with two little girls in the picture now who need mom and dad. Could the girls ride along on trikes or something for a short while? Even if the 4 of you just get out for some speed walking . . . . I know. Great advise from someone with no kids. Wink Kelly - Have fun in the mud!! Yee haw! So this week will be my first with back-to-back long runs. Did an hour this a.m. and ran 5.56 miles. I was very happy with that considering how freaking sore and tired my legs and butt are. I need a handicap bar next to the toilet in my bathroom! I can feel these exercises all across my lower to mid back, as well, so I know they’re working. Tomorrow will be interesting as we have a 2-hour run on trails. Coach Bill will be joining us, and I have a feeling I’ll be telling him and Karen to “run along ahead and I’ll catch up with you later.” I plan to go home afterward and pass out 'cause right now I feel like road kill. Actually, road kill probably feels better than me 'cause its dead and can't feel anything!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

So that's how you feel when properly hydrated!! Hit the nail on the head today. Goal: 6 oz every 15 minutes, 24 oz in an hour. Two-hour trail run: drank 48 oz. Whatta difference! My legs are pooped just from all the PT and running this week, but they don't feel like a truck ran over them. It's great! I then went for a 50 min massage. It wasn't the best massage I've ever experienced, but it'll do since it was free. Found a gift certificate that had been given to me a looong time ago for the local "spa." Let's just say they're more into the "pamper" stuff than the actually meat and potatoes for a massage. But I did almost fall asleep, and I did almost have snot and drool coming from the appropriate orifices, so that's a plus. Karen and I took pictures of ourselves, front, back, and sides, in our underwear today and measured our calves, thighs, hips, waists, and biceps. We're going to do it all again the weekend before our Forest Park run. Want to see how much our bodies change over the next 2 months. The final results should be interesting. Here's hoping for positive improvement! We also weighed ourselves, but her scale weighs 2.5 pounds heavier than mine. . . . . I think I'll go with mine. Kelly - How'd your run go??? Hope everyone's weekend is going well . . . Later!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Well, I made it! Here's the short version because it's late-I'll post more tomorrow even though there won't be much more to tell. It was a 16M trail run, rolly terrain, out and back, couple good climbs. I finished in 3:22:50 which reminded me how much slower my trail pace is compared to roads. There were 113 finishers- I came in 74, 13 out of 34 women total and 5 out of 16 40-49 age group. The race only gives an overall list - I went through and counted the other results to have some perspective. Jack came in 4th overall in 2:11:??. I'll let you know how well I come down stairs tomorrow! Kelly
                                Good for you! Hope you had a good time. 16 miles in 3:22:50 - you're were moving pretty dang fast on those trails!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance