Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - April 2008 (Read 349 times)

Howdy guys, or girls in this case. Nice to hear about your run Kelly. Leslie, how were your back to backs? Saturday I did a "long run" in the Wissahickon Gorge, 2 hours, 8 miles, 2500 up and 2500 down. I found it was steeper than I thought when I got my GPS. I must be pretty out of shape cause it wiped my out for the rest of the day. Brought my dog with me again. Started at 5:15 again in the dark with my headlamp and flashlight. I got some strange looks coming out of the woods near my truck at 7:15 wearing a headlamp once the sun was up. People didn't realize I was finishingmy run and were probably wondering why I was wearing a headlamp. No pictures. I can't keep my word I guess. I regained the three pounds I lost, how I don't know, but still sittin at 190. I'm actually glad since now I can post my fat gut in a picture. Smile I'm still trying to build my miles up. I scrapped the Sunday run and rested as my knee was hurting . Ran a tempo run yesterday for 5 miles and will do 5 more today slowly. Hard pounding the ground with this much weight on. Hurts the feets. Anyways, let's hear about your weekend runs girls. I wish some other people would rejoin our little group. I enjoy posting on Kickrunners and I've seen you there Leslie. Maybe we can pull some people over here?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hey Greg - Yeah, it would be nice if more people got involved here. There's not a whole lot of activity on this thread. The back to backs went really well. I concentrated on staying really well hydrated Saturday, and what a difference it made! Even with all the PT I've been doing, I felt strong. This Friday, and from now on, I'll be doing 1 1/2 hours on Fridays and then each Saturday increased by 1/4 of an hour. I'm also doing a lot of PT work. Like yesterday, I had a 5-mile run with five w/hill sprints at the end. Then after work I had an hour of intense PT. I mean I really work my a$$ off at therapy. Each week Galen gives me a new exercise at the end of my workout, and I swear each new one seems harder than the others. I literally am sore from my shoulders to my calves, but a good sore. And I tell ya what, I can feel my legs are getting stronger, even just in two weeks. I really like working out with this guy and will miss him when it's over. He has a great attitude, is a former runner (he destroyed his knee) so he understands where I'm coming from, and really pushes you, but in a good way. If he worked at the office here in Eureka, I'd sign up to go in a couple of times a week, but he's in Fortuna, about a 20 minute drive away, and with gas prices. . . Keep up the good work, Greg, but don't destroy yourself. Remember, you've been lazy for a few months and the bod needs time to adjust to the shock of working out again. Wink And are ya laying off the booze, too??

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I've cut out the liquor, but am drinking about 12 oz of red wine each night before bed. I figure that's good for the heart. 18-24 oz of straight liquor a night compared to 12 oz of wine...big difference. The wine hardly buzzes me. I am probably going to ditch the wine too if the weight loss doesn't get moving. I feel a TON better. My legs feel pretty good so far, just kind of achey. I vary my intensity,hard one day, easy the next. The tempo runs on the hard days really allow me to pick up my pace at the lower heart rates on my recovery days. Feelin good. thanks for asking. I love the sore muscle feeling after working out. keep up the hard work. It'll pay off.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Well, I'm able to come down stairs now-I've been stuck in my bedroom for the past 3 days!!! Big grin Just kidding! Life is crazy like usual right now and I've had time to read but not write. I don't have much else to add to my race report. It took about half of the race to settle down, find a groove and get my head in a better place. I started right at the front of the pack and it doesn't do much for me being passed by most of the crowd and there was one woman there that I was hoping to stay near and that lasted maybe the first half mile up. I was overdressed a little but luckily the sun didn't come out. Once I reached the halfway turn around and had a cup of coke life was much better. I carried my own stuff to drink so that I didn't stop at the only other aid station around mile 4. I had GUs too to eat. I had another cup of coke around the 12m mark and some encouraging words in that I hadn't fallen and hurt myself like some other racers had and was still in the game. I haven't done any trail running since November and I caught up to one guy (and eventually passed him) who lived in the area and he said they only had about one month over the winter where they couldn't run on the trails-lucky them! So I'm glad my quads are sore because there's some talk about Boston and how the downhills to the finish are what kill the runners so I'll be that much better prepared, right?. Glad to see everyone else is doing well. I wish this thread was more active as well. Did a lot of the ol' Cool Runners go to Kickrunners? I'm off to Long Island this weekend to a Road Runner's Club of America running coach workshop to become a certified running coach-don't worry, I won't charge you guys for any advice Big grin Take care and if you don't hear from me it's because I have to do my taxes still!!! Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            I wish this thread was more active as well. Did a lot of the ol' Cool Runners go to Kickrunners? Kelly
            I think a lot did defect to kickrunners. However, I'm not on that site enough to figure it out. Hopefully, with the weather getting better, this site will start to come alive. Well, since you're becoming a certified running coach, I guess I don't need to give you any advice on helping the ole quads . . . Shy except to say, treat yourself to a nice long massage!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

3 easy miles jog/run with a 10:51 average pace and best pace of 9:31, plus 30 minutes upper body strength and core training. 1.5 hours of PT last night. The PT is definitely getting easier. It's amazing how things can change in just two short weeks. I was given 2 more exercises on the BOSU, which entail jumping on and off the thing: Jumping onto it forwards then back off, trying to land lightly, 20 times. Then go to the side and jump onto it from the side and then off the opposite side, then back over, 20 sets. Of course, as usually, he gives me the new ones at the end when I'm pooped, but I did much better than I thought I would. My balance has greatly improved. I think the next exercise is going to be to stand on the BOSU and jump straight up while rotating in the air and landing back on the BOSU. That may actually be the exercise that causes a fatal injury. We will be sure to be far away from any sharp or hard objects. I think that's an exercise that would best be done on the grass. I tell ya, if I could afford it, I'd keep working with this guy for a long time. He's really good. My second week of back-to-backs: tomorrow and Saturday (trails). I can definitely tell my endurance is improving. Hope things are going well for you guys. Take care ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Yeah! My taxes are done! I can almost come out to play again! Big grin As far as my quads-do as I say, not as I do and dream of taking your advice Leslie by making time for a massage! Here's my week so far...so I run the 16m trail race last Saturday, not feeling too bad so go skiing for a couple hours (alpine) Sunday afternoon-taking it easy and run 4 miles after getting back on nice, soft mud/snow covered trails in backyard. Monday, stairs are a bit more difficult, luckily it's a scheduled day off and got away with not running at first session of Girls on the Run which I coach for the next 8 weeks. Tuesday-up early and training with client at 7am, run 7m easy on rec path by 8:45, to work by 10am. I teach a Sports Conditioning class at lunch time at another location from where I work about 1.25m away and it's beautiful out so I run down, teach-squats, lunges, push-ups, step and jumping jacks for cardio etc, run back to work -9m for the day. Teach a Mat Pilates class at 5:30pm home by 8pm after watching the second half of my son's soccer game, crash in bed by 10pm which is early for me. Wednesday, I was goig to do my long run since I'm busy all weekend but ran about 5m and called it good because I had to split it up and didn't feel like going back out-easy day at work-I only teach a half hour abs class-stayed up to midninght and got Fed return done (almost forgot! I did an aeobics class at 8:15am because my boss wants me to learn to become a better instructor). Thursday-no classes to teach, easy day at work, coach Girls on the Run and cheer them on while I stand there claiming self-preservation because doing long run after I get home. Went out for my long run, nice northwest wind blowing with me on way out and in my face on the way back! I had planned 14 but it was one of those runs where the heart was ready to go but the legs were saying no way-downhills are still a little sore-can't be from two days in a row of lunges? So called it good at 12. Who knows how tomorrow will be-i'm planning on going to a mat pilates class and then I have to teach a half hour Buns & Belly class and run. I'll keep you posted... Kelly
                  Holy moly. And I thought my days were busy.

Holy crap, Kelly! And I was wondering how I was going to survive 5 days of running with one including strength training, one day of cardio, and 5-6 days of 1.5 hours of PT in the evenings. Ugh! I'm exhausted just reading your post. This is the second week with back-to-back long runs. Did 8.53 miles in my 1.5 hour run. Even though my legs were tired from PT last night, after about 30 minutes or so, I started getting into a kind of groove and felt fairly strong for the last hour. However, running down the road - - B-O-R-I-N-G!!! Tomorrow's trail run will be a lot better, even though I'm definitely getting sick of the Arcata Community Forest. I think next week we're going out to Fern Canyon, so that'll be a nice change of pace. If you're interested, here's my PT workout: 1. Balancing - Alternate standing on one leg on ball side for 1 min. each leg for 3 min. total. Turn it over onto the ball and repeat, standing on flat side. 2. Squats - On ball side, with feet slightly turned out, 3 sets of 20 squats. Turn it over, on flat side, 3 sets of 20 squats. When in squat position, thighs should be parallel w/the floor. Come up about 3/4 of the way - not all the way. 3. One-legged squats - sit on a bench, chair (approx. 20" high). Extend one leg straight out and flexed tight w/heel on ground. Pushing off with other leg, come up about 3/4 of the way, then back down to bench, 3 sets of 20, switch legs. 4. BOSU Bench Squats - Sit on bench, chair, place feet on ball side of BOSU, stand to about 3/4 of the way up, then back down to bench. 3 sets of 20. Flip BOSU over and do same thing on other side. 5. Partial/Pinion Squats - Sit on bench, chair. As fast as you can stand 3/4 of the way, come back down ‘til your butt barely touches the bench, and then up again. 3 sets of 50. 6. Straight Leg Raises - Lie on your back, one leg extended, one leg bent. Flex the extended leg tight, raise a few inches off the floor and hold for 5 seconds, raise a few more inches, hold for 5 seconds, raise a few more inches, hold for 5 seconds, lower to the second position, hold for 5 seconds, lower to the first position, hold for 5 seconds, lower to the floor. Total of 20. Switch legs. (These are so frigging hard!!) 7. BOSU Front Jumps - Stand w/BOSU in front of you. Jump onto it with both feet, then immediately back off to the floor, landing as light as possible. Repeat 20 times. 8. BOSU Side Jumps - Stand to the side of the BOSU. Jump sideways onto the BOSU, immediately jump off to the opposite side, then back across. That’s one set. 20 sets. 9. Leg Raises - If you have access to one of those weighted leg raise things (like in a gym). I have a Bowflex I use. Be sure the pinion is even w/the middle of your knee. Set it at 15 lbs. With one leg, raise until leg is fully extended, hold for 5 seconds, lower part way down, raise and hold for 5 seconds, lower part way. Total of 20. Switch legs. I'm definitely feeling a difference in leg strength. Wednesday, I actually got through an entire set of 50 pinion squats without having to stop. The other two sets - well . . . Have a great weekend ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yesterday and today are absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe this is Humboldt County right now. Yesterday's high was 68, and I'm betting it gets up around there today. Not a cloud in the sky. Unbelievable weather for us this time of year. We usually don't get this kind of weather until mid May then again in September/early October. I'm gonna get my transcription done then go out and soak up some Vitamin D. Cool 2.25 hour trail run this a.m. About an hour into it, I was wishing I'd worn shorts. Finally took my shirt off, and it made a world of difference. I figure we covered about 11 miles. I can definitely tell that my leg stamina is increasing. I push myself on these runs, but at the same time think about what I would be doing if I was participating in an event. As we get closer to our 50k in May, I'll be treating the runs like an event, which means walking all the hills, keeping a nice even steady pace, no matter how fast Karen and Bill go. I looked up the elevation gain on PCTR's web site, and it's a heck of a lot better than Pirates Cove. According to Karen's sister, most rolling hills with no real steep climbs except at the very beginning. It's a month away, and I'm already getting nervous. Crazy, I know. Well, I'm gonna get my work done so I get outside and enjoy this incredible weather while I can. You all have a great weekend! Smile

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

We finally got some good weather also. Up to 76 today which is a great change from 40's to low 50's and rain. Did a 18 mile run and when I got out in sunny spots it felt downright hot, but good. I think you'll like Forest Park 50k fato. I did march mudness 50k a couple years ago and it was a lot of fun. This was a one way race. They drove us out to the far end of the park and we ran back to the parking area. The steepest hill was near the end of the course so I kinda imagine you will see that one. At least it is a short one. Portland is a great city if you have time to check it out. Been there a few times for fun and work. Good luck on the rest of your training and I hope everyone else had some of the great weather we are having. Rain is supposed to return tomorrow with temps about 20 degrees cooler.
                          I think you'll like Forest Park 50k fato. I did march mudness 50k a couple years ago and it was a lot of fun.
                          Hey Tacoma - We've been told that with the exception of the one steep hill, it's pretty much an undulating course. Not real significant climbing. So maybe we've picked the right one test our metal with a 50k?? My hub's from St. Helens, outside Portland, and his family lives there part of the year. My running partner - her mom and dad live in Portland. I've never had a chance to spend time there, so hopefully I'll get to do a smidge of sightseeing on this trip.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yo, from Philly. Nice to hear about y'all's cross training. Sounds tough. I'm still just trying to build my miles and time up to respectable distances and get in good shape, then later I'll throw in some resistance and hill running. Got up early on Saturday and ran from 5-6 am in the Wissahickon Gorge in the dark using my headlamp and flashlight. Misty and cool. Drove 10 minutes to meet a friend and ran 8 miles on pavement on the "loop", 4 miles along one side of the Schukyl river, in front of the art museum (think Rocky, the steps), then back along Kelly drive to starting point. 12 minute miles, 2.5 hours total for 13 miles. Longest run to date. Knees and hammies complaining over weekend though today I feel pretty good. Shooting for the Highlands Sky Trail Run (40 miles) on June 14 in WV. Supposed to be a tough run. I'm just trying to stay injury free while I shoot for this run, then two 50K's on back to back week ends in August all in prep for The Ring (70 miles ) on Sept 6, 2008. Follows the ridge of the Massanutten Mountain, a canoe shaped mountain in VA. We'll see. Keep up the hard work everyone!

Good grief, Greg (with regard to your anticipated running events)! How long have you been off running?? Take care of yourself. We don't want to see you on the injured reserve list. Cool

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! I'm back for a minute or two! We drove to Long Island to find 70 degree weather last weekend. I just got back today so it still feels like the weekend to me. Jack and I went to a running coach certification work shop which was pretty cool. We just need to take the final test (which is open book) online and get CPR and First Aid certified as well and as long as we pass we're coaches! However, next up is the Boston Marathon for which we leave on Saturday for. Once I get through this then I'm hoping I can sit back and take a breather. Take care-especially you Buddo! I agree with Leslie. Your mileage and goals seem a little ambitious. I don't want to see another post from you saying good-bye because you're hurt and going to hide in the weight room with a liquor bottle! Big grin (That's just from me and not Coach Kelly) Kelly