Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - April 2008 (Read 349 times)

I think that's so awesome you have to take CPR to be a running coach. It's such a useful skill to have. I appreciate your concerns. When I do something, I am usually all in. I'm keeping tabs on the hammies. Everything is good so far, though one injury from a 1.5 years ago is twinging. I'll keep watching it and back off as necessary. It seems the faster running harms me more than the distance. I'm periodizing everything, so I shoud be okay. I'm only worried about this first run as it is a pretty quick ramp up. The Ring is invite only. When I asked to do it, the races above are what they told me I'd have to do to be able to enter. If I can do it, they have a slot for me. I have plenty of time to recover after the 40 miler, so that seems to be the big hump. If injury rears it's head too high, I'll back out. It just sucks to see how in shape I was last year and be struggling at the shorter distances this year. I feel like I'm finally building up to where I need to be and I'm loving life again. Sober (little wine, beer..you know) and feeling fit again. Running in the woods with my dog...life is good. Ran 10 this morning 5-7 in the dark...real nice. 5 tomorrow, 10 Thur, Fri off, then 15 on Saturday. This is my schedule from here on out, jsut increasing my ong run on the weekend and doing chins and dips and leg raises throughout the week. Sorry to say I'm losing the gut and haven't given y'all a good visual yet. I'll get right on that. Take care of yourselves. I'll be rooting for you in Boston Kelly!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kelly - Do they make you know CPR 'cause all the out of shape people coming to you for coaching might end up having a heart attack?? (kidding!) Boston's right around the corner! Shocked There are quite a few people on this site participating. Do you think you'll be able to catch up with some of them before or after the race? Greg - The gut - did you ever see those PSA commercials that were on TV for awhile where someone's walking, say, down the beach and they see something awful in the sand, and it's someone's gut they lost 'cause they were losing weight, etc.? I thought they were a hoot, but for some reason they quit showing them. PT's up to almost 2 hours now. So after my 5 miles w/hill repeats yesterday a.m. and then 2 hours of PT yesterday evening, I took today off. The exercises are working, though. My hill repeats weren't as exhausting as they've been in the past. Nice! I am starting to have a flare up with my back again, so I need to keep an eye on that. I've hurt it twice in the last 15 years, and it can just be a naggin pain in the a$$ - and right now it's nagging. One of these days maybe I should bite the bullet and get an x-ray to see what kind of damage I've done. Well, you all have a great day!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hello?? Anybody else around??? Guess I'll just keep talking to myself . . . . 2.5 hour trail run Saturday. Am working on the 5-1 ratio. I can definitely see a benefit, as during the 1 minute walk time, I'm able to get some nutrition in me, which has been one of my big problems. The run went well, but I'm having some serious trouble with my back again. If I don't get this under control, it's going to be a huge problem, and soon. Hope all is going well with whoever may be peeking in on this thread!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi everyone, Managed to get 26 miles total this weekend which was better than expected. Saturday we had snow when the average temp is supposed to be in the upper 50's. Can't wait till spring gets here. Hope everyone is getting better weather than the NW. Hope your back gets better fato, hard to run long with a backache.
            Howdy all. Saturday's long run was uneventful, except I saw some dude walking through the woods with a trash bag over his shoulder. I was walking up the trail and had just turned my head lamp off as it was just beginning to get gray out and I could discern the trail and the sky from the trees. Really it was still very dark, 5:15 or so. I was walking up a hill when I saw a silhoet come over the crest of the hill. Really weird as 1) he was definitely not an athlete as his clothes looked like street clothes from what I could tell, and 2) he was carrying a full trash bag over his shoulder. I immediately took him for a homeless guy though he was still just a shadow and was about 100 yds away. I turned and called for my dog, which he must have heard, cause when I turned around he had taken a 90 degree turn into the woods. By the time I got to where he went into the woods I could't see him. He was definitely hiding from me. I ran on, looking over my shoulder, as I know many homeless have mental health issues. Didn't see anymore of him. Weird though. Guy moving serripticiously through the woods carrying a full garbage bag over his shoulder. Whatever. Did 11 miles. Building back up. Today however was fantastic. I got on the trails at 4:45 this morning and, to my suprise and delight, there was a full moon! I have been wanting to run with a full moon for a long time now and was so psyched, especially as my motivation has been waning lately and I almost bagged this morning's run when the alarm went off at 4. I turned off my headlamp and flashlight and ran through the woods in the dark. I actually had to shield my eyes from the moon as it was messing up my nightvision. It was directly in front of the trail just above 3/4 of the way to zenith. I could easily see everything I needed to. My attention went to sensing everything around me and I quickly found myself in "the zone", running comfortably, in tune with my body and the rhythm of the trail. I got about three miles before it began to get lighter. Got ten miles total. This is why I run trails. It was WONDERFUL. It's also somehow exciting to know that it is there for the taking for anybody, but I was the only one out that early partaking of the glory of it all, just me and my dog. Good times, man, good times. I was SO glad I got up.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

That second run sounds heavenly, Buddo. I'm happy it went so well for you. We, too, have issues of the homeless living in the community forest in which I run. It's a sore point with my hub, but too bad. I always have my pepper spray when I'm alone. I'd also love to get in a "dark" run in the woods sometime, but, again, hub would probably have a cow! No running for me for a few days. My back issue is flaring up again, and if I don't get it under control, I'm going to be screwed for my 50k next month. Have also talked the hub into getting a new bed, regardless of whether or not we can afford it right now. Neither of our backs can afford to keep sleeping on the one we have. Am looking forward to reading Kelly's report on her Boston run yesterday.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

That second run sounds heavenly, Buddo. I'm happy it went so well for you. We, too, have issues of the homeless living in the community forest in which I run. It's a sore point with my hub, but too bad. I always have my pepper spray when I'm alone. I'd also love to get in a "dark" run in the woods sometime, but, again, hub would probably have a cow! No running for me for a few days. My back issue is flaring up again, and if I don't get it under control, I'm going to be screwed for my 50k next month. Have also talked the hub into getting a new bed, regardless of whether or not we can afford it right now. Neither of our backs can afford to keep sleeping on the one we have. Am looking forward to reading Kelly's report on her Boston run yesterday.
                What's wrong with your back? What's it doing?

Where shall I begin??? Smile About 13 or so years ago (has it really been that long???) , I fell getting out of my shower. The shower had about a 4" or so high lip. When stepping out, right foot slipped on the floor, literally flew up in the air, left leg came out (thankfully or it wouldn't broken probably), and I landed with both legs out in front of me, but not before the right side of my butt hit the lip of the shower then the floor. It was a pretty bad fall, but because I didn't have insurance, I didn't go to the doctor. Fast forward to about 9 years ago. I fell down 2 - count them, 2 - steps into my garage giving myself a Grade 3 sprain of the right ankle (would've been better off if I broke it), and tweaked my back again. Fast forward once more to about 1 1/2 years ago. I was lifting a box of paper here at work, pitched forward at the wrong time, and (((boing!))) hurt my back yet again. Went through PT and everything's been doing good until last week. Between our crappy mattress and some straight leg lifts I was doing in PT, I stressed it again. I know with the leg lifts, when my leg got tired I was having a hard time keeping my back pressed to the floor. Anyway, after this long-winded explanation, the only "cure" is time. Running, especially on pavement, only aggravates things further, as does prolonged sitting, which I do at work. So no more leg lifts, can the jumping off and on the BOSU for PT right now, get a new mattress, no running for a few days, and I'm not sure how to get out of working! Wink

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Damn girl, you're a regular vaudville act. Heat/ice? NSAID's? I quit leg lifts long time ago. I do hanging leg raises supersetted with back extensions. For the first time in a long time my back didn't hurt last year. All that powerlifting kept my back constantly tweaked. Got so bad at times I couldn't drive more than 10 minutes before having to pull over and get out and let the nerves uncrimp in my low back. I hope it gets better for you. Chronic pain is a real...pain.

Damn girl, you're a regular vaudville act.
                      Yeah, and I test that act on trails. Kinda scary! Yep, I'm taking ibuprofen, heat/ice. It just takes a little time to settle down once it gets irritated. My PT showed me a few moves that my hub can help me with to try and alleviate some of the pressure. Since he's fairly certain I jammed that side with the first fall, he thinks it gets "off kilter," so to speak, once in awhile. One of the moves he tried yesterday was to gently pull on my leg. Pull, let go, pull, let go, pull, let go, then give it a bit of a hard tug. Well, the table on which he chose to show me this had a squeak. It sounded like there something other than PT goin' on in that corner of the room. Shocked The whole room was looking at us. It was a hoot!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Well Kelly, how was Boston?

Ultrachick

Boston went well. Here's the short version-I finished in 4:00:12 which was a goal. I was hoping to finish maybe 12-18 minutes faster but 4 hours was still acceptable. It was warmer than I'm used to right now and I might have been a bit tired from sleeping in a strange place and a lot of walking around at the Olympic trials the morning before. My life seems to have gone into overdrive compared to this time last year and I'm feeling it. I hung out with friends from VT who were running also or were there to support Kasie Enman who's from VT and ran in the trials and finished 11th. I also made some new friends that I may bump into again at trail races in Mass or CT. So this week I'll do all my running at base HR to recover. My quads are still a little tender on the downhills but I can walk downstairs without making a face now Smile. I'm looking at a trail race I did last year May 4 which will rip me apart again. It's called Seven Sisters, 12 miles long with 3500 ft of climbing. Last year I did it in 3:05, I'm doubtful I will beat that this year. After that, the Nipmuck Trail marathon on June 1. Thanks for asking, the long version of my race report is in the Masters group and the thread 40's on the Run. Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            Glad you're able to finally walk down stairs halfway normal. Smile Tomorrow will be the tell of the tale for me. I haven't run since my 5 miles on Monday. My back is still bothering me, and if I can't get through the 2.75 hours tomorrow without pain, I"m going to have to bag the May 25 50k and shoot for the SOB 50k in July. I'm trying very hard to stay positive, but everything's telling me this isn't going to work. I feel pretty okay until I have to sit all day. Then things feel almost numb in the low back region, bypasses my hamstrings, and the "numbness" goes straight to my calf and into my foot. Since I had a workers' comp claim about a year and a half ago for hurting myself while lifting here at work, I just sent a fax request for an x-ray to see if there's anything else going on. If they turn me down, I'll have to wait until my change of medical insurance is cleared up before I can go back to the doctor. Bummer . . . Blush Hope you guys have a good weekend!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Time to bring this thread back to the top of the list. Well, I'm spent. We've had beautiful weather so I spent all weeknd catching up on yard work-cleaning up from the winter. My back is sore from digging up plants to seperate and move and weeding-I know I should have had all this done last fall but I was too busy. I just did a couple easy 4 mile trail runs from our back yard on Sat and Sun. I was planning on 10m today but my legs are spent from running everyday and gardening. I wasn't having fun so I ended early. I still got 50 miles for the week which is good (of course, I got half of them just on Monday Big grin) I had a lot of fun Friday afternoon-I got my hair done and went shopping. I'm not a big shopper-if I'm ever missing don't look for me in a mall! For my birthday, my sister got me $150 gift certificate to the store where I buy all my sneakers. I've got my own special discount for being a running coach and both pairs of my trail shoes are about maxed out in mileage so I got another pair of Brookes ASR and Montrail Hardrocks as well as a couple shirts that aren't running shirts-yeah I spent a little more than my present was worth. That's about as girlie as I get. I hope everyone had a good weeknd too! Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                Thanks Kelly. Exciting hair and shopping report. Leslie, how was your back this weekend? Are the plans for the 50K still on? I ran for three hours in the woods. Busted run due to intestinal issues. I ate some old chicken the day before that I knew was suspect, but, hey, I didn't care, I was hungry. Well, I paid for it. I was actually praying that I didn't soil myself before I got to the bathroom, and I was serious. I'll leave it at that. Other than that, it was nice to be out that long. My fitness is improving as my heart rate is staying down as I run. My first 4 miles were only off of each other pace wise by 1 second! I couldn't believe the consistensy of my pace. Good times.