Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Weekly - w/e 12/09 (Read 298 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I can understand why you won't run trails solo at night, I've done a few solo night trail runs and even here where we don't have mountain lions, it's creepy. You hear things moving in the woods and wonder what it is. And as a male geezer I'm not too concerned about the worst predators, the human ones, but still, I've seen Deliverance which was filmed right here where I live and I can't help but think about that. 

Anyway, I'm not posting much here because I've been aiming for a road marathon and haven't been doing much trail running but once I start hitting the trails again early next year I'll be contributing more. It's nice to see how active this user group has become since the RWOL influx--welcome!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

toyger

Hello! Cross training day here--2600 yards in the pool.

Jen

Wandering Wally

Had a nice time stargazing last night while out running.  Hoping tonight brings more of the same clear skies.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

I get most of my trail miles in on the weekends too but managed to do about 4 miles out of 6.5 on the one trail near me during a lunch break on Monday. That's an out and back on the one urban trail near my house. Roll eyes  Oh the woes of being a city dweller.  Upcoming possibility of a move to CO will certainly change those circumstances.

Besides some shorter road runs during this week, I'm looking forward to a nice long(ish) run on some real trails on Saturday and possibly Sunday as well. 

daneda

Got 5 miles in this afternoon some more difficult trails.  It was a bit slow since the trail is quite rocky and the leaves were hiding the little buggers, so slow picking though.  But it was a beautiful day here and pretty much had the place to myself, so all in all a nice run!

As far as the whole running at night that was being discussed... I'd LOVE to run in the nighttime (I totally dig hiking at night) but most trails around here are the whole "closes at dusk" thing, like others have said... I still hope to stumble upon a place close by that would let me go in the evening every once in a while... 

Uh oh... now what?

Another attempt gone bad.  I went one way, immediate supervisor went the other.

A half mile or so later I could see a dorsal fin... uh oh.  Where is she?  Which trail?

How far away can she hear the horn (car's not mine, I don't have a horn)?  Blind

guess at which trail she went down.  Unexpected speed work day.  Zoom, zip,

flash, slip, splat, thud.... check for footprints.  I actually do recognize Cascadia

and a certain Saucony print.  Aha!  Flash of red down in the kettle.  Scream.

Holler---whales!  Whales!!  We head for Partridge Point, almost pulling every

muscle we have 'cause we don't do fast except when there is a chance to see

the big black and white things.

Success is measured by pointing, pausing, gasping... watching.  Orcas.

rgot

skeene07

Dirty Girl

I get most of my trail miles in on the weekends too but managed to do about 4 miles out of 6.5 on the one trail near me during a lunch break on Monday. That's an out and back on the one urban trail near my house. Roll eyes  Oh the woes of being a city dweller.  Upcoming possibility of a move to CO will certainly change those circumstances.

Besides some shorter road runs during this week, I'm looking forward to a nice long(ish) run on some real trails on Saturday and possibly Sunday as well. 

I just wanted to say that you will love the Dirty German 50k!! Great race!! (that is, if you dont move to CO?)

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

skeene07

Dirty Girl

8 miles on Wednesday. 6 more is the plan on Thursday. 

And then a group run Friday in the dark around some neighborhoods looking a Christmas lights.

Saturday or Sunday will be long and hilly!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

under a rock

I've spent my week at Disney World, 6 days/7 nights, and all my running recently has been on sidewalks, ugh. I'm taking a few extra days off due to developing a sore shin from all the walking at Disney. I'm looking forward to my Sunday group trail run, no more asphalt and pavement for me for awhile.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

this has been a recovery/cycle down week for me- got 6 miles (easy) in on Wed, 8.5 on Thurs (hilly), 6 miles easy today and will get 12 miles (hilly) tomorrow 

my most notable aspect of training this week had nothing to do w/ running, Friday evening I decided to forego the weights and do all body weight exercises- I did 300 pushups, 300 situps, 300 squats and 100 pullups- did them in 10 sets (30x10/30x10/30x10/10x10), trying to take as little rest as possible, definitely a good workout (that I'm still feeling! Big grin)

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Wandering Wally

This is shaping up to be my best week since October.  Awesome.  Just have to remember to keep taking it easy and let the runs come to me.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

last run of the week- 12 miles, 32.2 for the week

we got 5" of snow and the temps have dropped, 14F for the high today, but w/ the wind down and the sun out- still made for a nice run Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

under a rock

Brrrr... 14 for a high! Love the snow though! We had a high of 69 today with some rain at the start of my run to make it nice and humid, but at least it wasn't hot. I hope we get some snow this winter. I love getting to trail run in the snow, it's a rare novelty. 

I ran 8 miles today, my longest run since Spring of 2011. I'm exhausted. Hard to believe that before my injury 8 miles was an easy peasy lemon squeezy mid week run. But, I'm thrilled that things are still holding together well and my slow recovery keeps moving along. It was so nice to be on the trail today and back on a trail I haven't been on since before my injury summer 2011. So grateful for every run I'm capable of doing.

daneda

Got 6 miles on the trails yesterday.  It was nice and muddy!  Big grin  This week was my last week of maintenance miles.  I'll start a slow build-up for a road half marathon I'm running in March.  I'd also like to find a nice trail run (25k or so) for sometime next spring...