Trail Runners

Headlamps (Read 250 times)

under a rock

With winter coming I'm thining of getting a headlamp just in case I stay on the trail a hair longer than planned during an eve run. I know dh isn't going to be keen on me getting a $$$ headlamp. I need suggestions for good headlamps that won't cost too much, something under $50 preferably.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm quite happy with my Petzls.

Tikka Plus 2

Tikka XP 2

My Plus 2 is still running on the original batteries (from last Fall) - has gotten me through a bunch of winter mornings, night runs, and several odd hours during ultras.

I use the XP 2 for long nights at ultras.

Running Warehouse, with the CP15 15% discount & free shipping makes for some pretty attractive pricing.

BTW - this is going to sound wrong, but I wear my headlamp (and headlights Roll eyes) around my chest. I don't like stuff on my head and don't want headlamp hair. Also, wearing the light a bit lower provides a bit more shadow contrast so tripping obstacles are a bit easier to distinguish.

Liz

pace sera, sera

under a rock

I'm quite happy with my Petzls.

Tikka Plus 2

Tikka XP 2

My Plus 2 is still running on the original batteries (from last Fall) - has gotten me through a bunch of winter mornings, night runs, and several odd hours during ultras.

I use the XP 2 for long nights at ultras.

Running Warehouse, with the CP15 15% discount & free shipping makes for some pretty attractive pricing.

BTW - this is going to sound wrong, but I wear my headlamp (and headlights Roll eyes) around my chest. I don't like stuff on my head and don't want headlamp hair. Also, wearing the light a bit lower provides a bit more shadow contrast so tripping obstacles are a bit easier to distinguish.

That is a great tip about wearing it on your chest! (it's not like there is much occupying that space anywayWink) I like to wear my visor or hat even when it isn't sunny so that would fix that issue.

The Running Green Girl

I agree, that's an awesome idea.

I, too, love my Petzl Tikka Plus 2.

You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com

I usually go with the headlamp on the head w/o much trouble, but when it's foggy that just blinds you, and in snow or rain it sometimes doesn't provide enough contrast.

In those cases, I'll go with one on the head and one on the waist. (I haven't got a convenient place to rest the headlamp on my chest without it sliding down.)

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I don't think it meets your price constraints, but has anyone tried the GoMotion lights that are meant to snap onto a pack?  I was thinking about getting one for my upcoming hundred.  I have a headlamp and a Fenix handheld currently.  I don't really like wearing the headlamp on my head, and if I wear it around my chest or waist late in a race, it seems to cause stomach cramps and indigestion.  The flashlight works well, but I almost have to be carrying a water bottle with the same hand to keep me from moving my arm to much and having the flashlight bob around.   They're kinda pricy though ($79 on Amazon), so I'd like to hear some rave reviews before I shell out for one.