Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - August 2009 (Read 377 times)

Greg - Sounds like you're doing the right thing with your ankle.  Keep taking it slow, take your ibu afterward, and ice, and hopefully you'll be back in no time.

Run - Hi!  Come back and check in with us again soon.

Had a good, but tiring, 14-mile trail run yesterday.  Then The Hub and I drove up here to Brookings, OR, to hang out for a couple days to celebrate our 22nd anniversary.  Sometimes it's hard to believe it's been that long.  Had a little too much fun last night with margaritas, but I pushed myself through 7 hangover miles this a.m.  Was suppose to be 10, but I figured I'd gone from one end of town to the other, I was hungover and hungry, so enough was enough.  At breakfast, ordered the short stack of pancakes.  They were so frigging big, I could only eat one.

Went for a drive up the Chetco River, and on the way back were flagged down by a couple of guys who found a fire smoldering on the side of the road.  Some jerk - or jerks - had built a fire, probably during the night.  There was a dead log buried under where the fire was, and it was ready to take off, big time.  It's so dry around here, it was a disaster waiting to happen.  We hung out to watch for embers while the other two took off a phone (no cells signal there) and a couple of shovels.  Disaster averted.  The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good deed done for the day. Nice job.

Your miles sound astronomically high for me. I remember those days....

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Nice job on putting out that fire... that could have really sucked.  Margaritas... mmm... is there such a thing as too many? 

Did a 4-day running/adventure race over the weekend.  It was a ton of fun!  It was 4 stages of 20, 32, 32, and 20 miles, for 104 total miles.  A great weekend of long easy runs to whip my fat carcass into shape. You had to carry all of your gear, food, and everything for 4 days, so it made for an interesting race strategically.

- Chris

Did a 4-day running/adventure race over the weekend.  It was a ton of fun!  It was 4 stages of 20, 32, 32, and 20 miles, for 104 total miles.  A great weekend of long easy runs to whip my fat carcass into shape. You had to carry all of your gear, food, and everything for 4 days, so it made for an interesting race strategically.

- Chris

Well done!  Have you done any of that fast packing (I think that's what it's called)?  Was this sort of what that would be like?  How's baby girl doing?

Greg - How's your ankle?  Please take it easy, easy, friend.  We don't want any backsliding. 

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

It basically was fastpacking, but I've never done that before.  A friend of mine (Andy Skurka) does a lot of it and it sounds pretty fun. I'd love to do more of it once the kids move out.

Oh yeah... we also won the race.  That was a total surprise... I've never won a race in my life.  (Of course, there wasn't much for competition).  Still surprising though.

No backslides Greg...hang in there... 

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Good deed done for the day. Nice job.

Your miles sound astronomically high for me. I remember those days....

Hahahahahaha.  Chris and Leslie's kind of miles will probably ALWAYS be astronomically high to me.  I had a small revelation the other day that I am not really a racer or trainer.  I am a runner in that I love the exercise and I will probably race from time to time, but I have absolutely NO DESIRE to track times or performance.  If I finish, I finish.  I will be happy.  This leads to quite a bit of "hey, I should slow down because I am feeling tired/sore/winded" during my runs.  On the plus side, I rarely need to "gut out" my miles, lol.

I ran 4.45 miles in the in the woods outside OKC this morning.  I am rounding it up to tell people I ran 4 1/2.   This is the second time I ran the trail and the second time I jumped a doe bedding down by the trail.  She is not very spooky because both times she only scooted a few yards and then stopped to watch me run away.  Today I stopped too and she still did not run.  I plan to bring my camera the next time I run it, so she probably will not be there then.

Greg, it is so good that you are running again.  I know it is a big outlet for you and I am surprised that you avoided the funny farm during your recovery.  How old is your child who ran with you in the state park?  It is quite an accomplishment to shadow an adult at a young age.  Perhaps you will have a running partner in the near future.

Chris, get out of town!  You amaze me. I wish I could do those kinds of miles because your adventure sounds like so much fun.  I am glad you could do it.  Need I ask if you took pictures?  Will we see them?

Happy Anniversary Leslie!  I know it is late, but there it is.  Many couples do not make it to 10 years these days, let alone 22.  Congrats!  You seem destined to go the distance in every aspect of your life.

Enough for now.  I need a nap.

Kitrin

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Just a quick post.

I ran in the woods again today.  It was a sauna treatment.  5 miles + recent rain + lots of foliage = SWEAT!  It was great!  I looked like a gatorade commercial at the end.

I forgot to take my camera, but did not see any wildlife.  I almost lost my garmin to a low battery and I had to coach myself in because I left the hard stuff (in and out of gullies) for the end.  I was wiped!

Now, however, I am cleaned up and heading to the Mexican restaurant with my hubby.  Life is good!

Kitrin

Yea, Kitrin!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good running Kitrin! 

I'll try to get some pics from the race up soon.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Chris, thanks for the links to the pics.  You are right, it looked quite a bit like the Pacific NW there for a while.  I wish I had found my inclination to trail run when I lived in Portland.  Then I might have decent pictures of my own to post.

I have a question for anyone interested in responding.  During my last mile yesterday, I had a tingly feeling all over my body.  It felt similar to chill bumps.  Does this mean something?  My gut tells me that it is not a good thing, but I don't know what that would be.  How do I counteract/anticipate such reactions?

Okay, that was more than one question.  My bad, but if you look at it as one GROUP of questions (like one BUNCH of grapes?) maybe I can get away with it.

Hope everyone is enjoying your weekend,

Kitrin

Chris - I haven't had a chance to look at the pics yet, but I'm betting their great.  Will do so when I have to savor them.

Kitrin - I've had the same thing happen to me at times.  I don't know what causes it.  It's a strange feeling - sort of like when you're getting the flu, huh?

15.25 miles today (was suppose to do 16), and at about Mile 8 or so I knew the rest of my run was gonna be tough.  I don't know why, but my legs were like chunks of concrete.  I had to walk more of the climbing than I wanted to, but sometimes that's just the way things go.  Then I came home and did yard work for about 4 hours.   It was really quiet around here, and the cats hung out with me.

This is the graph from my Garmin from my run today.  Fun stuff!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I've gotten that feeling before also... no idea what causes it. 

Nice runnin' all.  My dad's in town this weekend, so nothing interesting here.  5 miler today and shooting for a super early 20 miler on Sunday, before breakfast. 

My dad's in town this weekend, so nothing interesting here. 

I'm certain you didn't mean for that to sound the way that it does.  Poor dad!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm certain you didn't mean for that to sound the way that it does.  Poor dad!

hahaha!  Ok...how about "no interesting runs planned".