Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - August 2009 (Read 377 times)

I've gotten that feeling too. I think it's a ghost. Seriously.

The ankle is hurting. Now, my right achilles is starting to hurt. And my low back is making my left hip hurt badly too. I need to get to a chiropractor. I think I might have to quit running and rehab the ankle with weights, elliptical, cycle, etc...I'll rest it a couple of days then try another slow run and see how it feels. I thought it was all better, but t's hurting when I get up in the morning and walking around. I'm getting frustrated but we'll see. I'll just keep taking it as it comes.

Chris, your trip is my idea of real fun. That's what I'm looking to do eventually. I love adventure running.

Good to hear from everyone. Keep running, if you can. Enjoy it.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

...---...

I'm kinda new to the forum and while I certainly don't think I belong on any extreme team, I assume this thread is where you post how yesterday's 7K trail race plus today's 15 mile trail/mountain run kicked your ass. Sheesh - I'm beat. Today was my first long trail run and I learned a few things:

1. definitely walk the steep hills even if you can see the top (I'll have to do this for now). 

2. before heading out, fill the camelbak bladder ALL THE WAY UP so you're not out of water at mile 12. 

3. Mizuno Ascend 4's are not the best shoe for lots of rocks, roots-a-plenty, and steep down hills

4. NEVER, on a whim decide to take a veer off on a hiking trail (difficulty level 9) - holy crap that was hard.

5. mountain bikers are generally nice folks

6. trail runnin ain't road runnin - you gotta shorten your step a lot of the time

7. I wanted a new challenge. I got it. 

a final note on shoes - the XT wings protect feet much better, especially the heal but dang they gave me a couple blisters during the 7K race. Mt feet were screaming after today's long run in the Mizuno's but no blisters (same brand of socks as the one's from 7K race). 

I have no doubt today's run will be good for me (and pay off down the line) but I can't say it was all fun. The hiking trail punished me - lesson learned. 

Ciao - Trey

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Welcome Trey!!

None of us are really that extreme... we just like to have fun and get dirty

Greg - I've read on other threads that AT injuries take a long time to heal.  Hang in there, friend.  We still want to hear from you, even if you can't hit the dirt yet.

Welcome, Trey!  And the only thing extreme around here are the bad jokes.  Oh wait - Chris and Kelly are extreme.  They run 100-milers.

Loved your description of what you learned re trail running.  FWIW - Leg strengthening will help with the hill work.  Just make sure you strengthen your quads AND your hamstrings.  If your quads get stronger than your hammies, you can end up with all sorts of not fun aches and pains.  Butt bridges are good for the hammies.  If you can put your feed up on something like a foot stool and not lower yourself all the way to the ground, it works them even harder.

I've started using a 20/20 on the hills - run 20 steps/walk 20 steps.  If I'm feeling good, I'll run 25-30/walk 20.  It helps to keep me from getting so tired out, but I get up the hills faster.  And little steps, baby steps.  Don't be leaping up the hills like a dang mountain goat.

Anyway - that's just my 4 cents worth.  Oh - And welcome to our world.  We love it here!!

So, can I tell you guys something?? If I do good at Desert High and an additional 50k in February, I'm gonna give the AR50 a try in April.  My coach thinks it would be a good one to try for a first 50 since the first 26 miles are flat.  All I can do is try, right?

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

One thing I am impressed by, despite yesterday's grueling trails, my legs feel pretty good. Had I run like this on asphalt, I'd be limping down the stairs. Instead, I'm just a bit sore on my outer upper glutes and sides along my abs. I'm tight, of course, in my lower back and hammies.

I also think the heat was a big factor. Despite starting at 8AM (state park with the trails open at 8) - I ran in mostly the 80's and 90's. Temp when I ended my run was 92. The heat, more than anything, was chiefly why I didn't have a great time yesterday. 

Thanks for the guidance on hammy and quad strengthening. I'm sure those will help. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I started typing a post, hit the wrong key, and LOST IT.  GRRRR!  The stupid cat is begging for food and messed me up.

Welcome Trey!  You will not be less extreme than I am.  I train less frequently, accrue fewer miles, and run slower.  Eh well, I have fun.  About your blisters . . .

Are your XT Wings 1/2 larger than your Mizumos?  This is practially a rule in trail running -- Trail shoes should be bigger than your road shoes because your feet bump around so much more on the trail.  I made that mistake and my blisters stopped when I sized up.

What socks are you wearing?  I run exclusively in Injinji toe socks.  They keep all my foot/toe surfaces covered and dry.  They will feel weird at first, but you will not feel them after the first few yards of a run.

Those two corrections fixed all my blister problems.  I do not get them anymore.

I ran the OKC trails one last time this morning.  We are checking out of the hotel today and heading back to TX.  I will miss the variety, 12 glorious miles in 5 different loops to combine and enjoy.  Sigh.

So the tingly feeling is not a bad thing?  You guys are saying that I can push through it without worry (given I am hydrating and such)?

Pretty soon I will be back to running distances that require my hydration belt.  Woo hoo!  I am excited.

Kitrin

PS Greg, I am so sorry about your injuries.  This too shall pass.  I will pray for your patience.

Kitrin - Don't worry about the chills thing.  Just keeping going.  I got them yesterday a.m. on my 6-mile run.

Trey - A really good hammy stretch is the wall stretch.  Let's start with the R leg.  Lay on the floor in a doorway so that your L leg is flat, poking through the doorway.  Place your R heel on the wall.  Scoot your butt toward the wall just enough so that you feel a good, gentle stretch through the hammy.  Relax and stay in that position for 5 minutes.  Switch legs.  Do this about 3x a week and your hammies will love you.

Re shoe size - You definitely want to ensure your shoes are 1/2 to 1 size larger than normal. I wear a 9 regular, but am now in a 10.5 to 11 trail and road shoes, depending on the style.  Mizunos for the road (11), and I just ordered a 10.5 in an Inov 8.  (Hopefully this pair fits I had to special order them.)

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...---...

Kitrin - thanks for the note. Bad kitty.

my Mizunos and Salomons (both trail shoes) are the same size. Mizuno Acsend has maybe a bigger and certainly more flexible toe box. The socks I wore with each pair were Drymax Trail. No doubt, the Drymax is a little bulky for the Salomon toe box.I also thought that maybe I need to tighten the Salomon's down more to keep my toes from moving so far forward. I'll have to make them work for now - until I get an extra Benjamin for a 1/2 size bigger at least. Maybe the Injinji will help. Can you relate the thickness of Injini to the Drymax Trail? (Drymax trail is the same as Drymax maxium protection, I think, just a darker color).

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Trey - A really good hammy stretch is the wall stretch.  Let's start with the R leg.  Lay on the floor in a doorway so that your L leg is flat, poking through the doorway.  Place your R heel on the wall.  Scoot your butt toward the wall just enough so that you feel a good, gentle stretch through the hammy.  Relax and stay in that position for 5 minutes.  Switch legs.  Do this about 3x a week and your hammies will love you.

Gracias Amiga.  

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Trey - The Injinji is a fairly thin sock.  It's main objective is to keep your toes from rubbing against one another, thereby causing blisters between them.  Although I know a number of people who use just the Injinji's, personally, I find them too thin to wear by themselves and have to wear them with another thin, non-toed sock.  My feet do get warm, but not uncomfortably warm.  I try to balance that out by wearing non-Gortex shoes with lots of mesh for more breathability.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

So, can I tell you guys something?? If I do good at Desert High and an additional 50k in February, I'm gonna give the AR50 a try in April.  My coach thinks it would be a good one to try for a first 50 since the first 26 miles are flat.  All I can do is try, right?

Atta girl. I've been waiting for this. I'm excited for you! If you're serious, tell everyone then sign up. It's hard to back out after that without losing major face. If you care about that, it can help motivate you. It is such a blast! The anticipation is almost as good as actually doing it. The feeling of accomplishment.... hard to describe. Go for it. 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

So the tingly feeling is not a bad thing?  You guys are saying that I can push through it without worry (given I am hydrating and such)?

No, it's just fear. The ghosts don't mind so much actually. When you feel the hair stand on your neck, just say a prayer and keep on trekking. 

Ultrachick

Greg - I've read on other threads that AT injuries take a long time to heal.  Hang in there, friend.  We still want to hear from you, even if you can't hit the dirt yet.

Welcome, Trey!  And the only thing extreme around here are the bad jokes.  Oh wait - Chris and Kelly are extreme.  They run 100-milers.

Hey! I resemble that remark!   Oh my God!  Two posts with in the same hour!  (I just checked in at the masters thread I used to hang in a lot as well)  5ish weeks out from Iroquois Trails 100-me and two other women are signed up so far...I'll have to google my competition and check them out....  I'm just looking to break 24 hrs-if I place well then it's more frosting on the cake I get to eat after!

Greg!  Ankle issues now?!  Bummer!  Kitrin-Good to see you still out there and that positive attitude.  Cool story about the deer.  THere's a spike horn hanging out at the trail center where I train a lot.  I literally nearly ran into him last week.  I looked up and there he was in the middle of trail taken by surprise as much as me.  He moved off the trail but didn't bolt-just watched me go by, looked for some dinner...hope he makes it through hunting season in the fall.  Leslie-go for the 50 miler!  Woohoo!  You're ready for it, Girlfriend!  Trey, nice to meet you.  I liked your lessons learned from your trail run.  It's all good and can only get better.

Like I said-getting ready for IT 100.  Been logging 80 mile weeks, back-to-back 20+ miles on the weekends-some road, single track, double track miles.  Depends on where I am and how much time I have.  Touch of plantar fasciitus from tight calves is my only little issue.  Left hammie is still on the tight side but that's over a year now so it's a given. 

Otherwise, it's craziness like usual.  Boys are keeping me busy-football practice started this week so there's a new twist in the routine.  Jack won the VT100 last month (did I already tell you this?)  He's very excited.  It was a good race and of course I was the all-star crew person.  Think I can make a living as a professional ultra crew? 

Check this out...http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/news/pilla-wins-vermont-100-at.shtml

We're never too old to reach our goals! 

Take care and I'll try to check in more often....

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hey Kelly, nice to see you!  Thank you for the compliments and GOOD LUCK at the IT 100.

Trey, maybe the thin Injinjis will help if you do not have money to buy larger shoes.  The socks are a MUCH smaller monetary committment, so why not?  Also, (I owe Greg for this BIGTIME) try buying your shoes from REI.  If you are a member, you can run in them for a couple weeks and STILL exchange them for another pair if they do not work.  They give you a year or something crazy like that to exchange.

I ran 3.5 today and tried not to push too hard.  I worked in the yard all day yesterday because it was neglected for five weeks while we were in OKC.  Also, my husband is sick.  Within 12 hours of arriving home, he was hanging out in the bathroom with diarrhea and vomiting.  Welcome home!  Poor guy.  I am playing nurse and hoping I do not catch what he has.

Leslie, do the 50 miler.  You know you want to!  You've worked hard and you can do it.

Time to make some broth and see if the hubby can keep it down.

Kitrin

...---...

Thanks for all the advice y'all.

Monday I was pretty sore after Sunday's "death-march" so took it easy and rested. Had a massage after work which was awesome. Yesterday, I felt better, although still a little sore around my butt but still held off running. I got in 7.5 this morning, a mix of road and trail, and felt pretty strong. I ran in road shoes as the trail sections were mostly packed dirt (clay) with few rocks and roots.

Like I was telling one of my buddies, Sunday kicked my ass and I needed it. It was a wake up call of sorts that my  upcoming 50K isn't gonna be like a road marathon. So, I'm re-energized about training which will certainly help me enjoy the experience. Sometimes we need that run or session where you have have to push through; vanquish the demons and the mental excuses they create (i.e. it's hot, it's way too humid, I'm tired, I'm hungry, this route is boring, that hill is steep, ... ).Pffft!

I'm gonna give the injinji socks a try. I may also pick up a mid weight drymax sock and try that out as well.

Happy demon vanquishing everyone.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12