Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - August 2009 (Read 377 times)

Thanks for the link Chris. Cool blog yourself.

I'm guessing Jamie Donaldson is the womens favorite?

I'd guess either Darcy or Jamie.  Darcy's a bit unknown right now because she had a baby about 8 months ago...but she won a 50 miler (Jemez?) and placed 2nd at the San Juan Solstice 50 already this year.  

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

See Trey?  I told you that you were already more extreme than I am. 

I want to get to double digit running.  I hope I do soon.

Kitrin

...---...

See Trey?  I told you that you were already more extreme than I am. 

I want to get to double digit running.  I hope I do soon.

Kitrin

HA! I recall, not too long ago, when 3 miles was extreme for me. Heck, sometimes, it still is ;-) You're not far off. You could probably do it now, go into double digits that is. If you can do 6, then you could do 8. After 8, you push your wall out to at least 10, then 12, then 14, then 16. Next thing you know, we're all crewing for you at Badwater. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Thanks for the optimism, Trey.  We'll see what I can push myself to do.

I am seriously aggravated today.  I went to my favorite long run trail and learned that it is no longer free access.  Didn't my taxes ALREADY pay for the park in the first place? GRRRRR.  They tax the money coming in.  They tax it going out.  They charge us to play and they charge us for necessities.  Now I need to find another place to run.  Yeah, I will probably go back sometime, but right now I am ready to scream bloody murder and that is making me stubborn.  I WILL NOT PAY TO PLAY!!!

Sheesh,

Kitrin

I am seriously aggravated today.  I went to my favorite long run trail and learned that it is no longer free access.  Didn't my taxes ALREADY pay for the park in the first place? GRRRRR.  They tax the money coming in.  They tax it going out.  They charge us to play and they charge us for necessities.  Now I need to find another place to run.  Yeah, I will probably go back sometime, but right now I am ready to scream bloody murder and that is making me stubborn.  I WILL NOT PAY TO PLAY!!!

That really stinks, Kitrin.  Many of our state parks are in jeopardy of being closed.  That's extraordinaryl hard on our county because we rely heavily on tourism, and our redwood parks bring the tourists.

As far as my run today - HO-LY CRAP!  Can you say "Bonk-a-Bomb, Bomb, Bomb?"  20 trail miles.  We hit Headwaters.  It's 3 miles of up and down (not bad climbing), then 2.5 miles miles of lots of climbing - switchbacks, hard on the quads coming out - and about 1.5 miles of meandering up and down at the top of the climbing, total of about 4 miles.  We did those 4 twice before heading back to the parking lot for a total of 14, and where I'd turn around to do another 6.   I seriously thought about quitting at 14, but knew I had to finished.  The last 3 miles were absolutely brutal.  Everything from my butt down hurts, and my feet are killing me.  Did I bonk from crappy nutrition management (and it was crappy)?  Because I had a long, tiring week? Because I was breaking in a brand new pair of shoes?  Because, because, because, because, because . . . . . . . . ???  I haven't struggled this badly in a very long time.

I keep getting up to move around, loosen up my legs, but my feet!  It has to be from the shoes.  20 miles was probably too far for the first time in them.  All I want to do right now is sleep.  Oh, and have someone besides me rub my feet, but, alas, I am alone.   (Hub's out for the night).

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

You can call me Spiderman. 

~21 miles at Lynch's Woods in Newberry, SC (site of the upcoming 50K). Apparently, I was the first person to go through these trails in a while. I ran through countless strands of spider web silk which didn't bother me too much. HOWEVER, I ran through 5, count 'em FIVE!, full spread webs positioned perfectly to my height so that I got them right in my face or head. In one case, the spider was BIG (we call them writing spiders) which prompted me to strip down right there in the woods making sure it didn't get underneath my clothes. In a few cases, I must have looked like Curly from the 3 Stooges as I slapped my head and face area rapidly hoping to kill the spider before she/he bit me. Ridiculous, I know, but ever since my Dad was bit by a brown recluse when I was a kid, I'm a bit fearful of them as a whole.

This trail system isn't as tough as the trails I've been training on but it's still a twisting, winding, technical single track. The course will be completely shaded but it's really tucked back into the woods and there's no breeze at all. Starting temp at 7AM was already 77 and humid as hell. So once again, it was a slug-fest. I think trail running is pretty cool unless:

1. you're not the first one to go through

2. it's not mid-summer in the South 

3. the humidity is high.

2 more weeks til D-Day. Can I survive this thing?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

"

As far as my run today - HO-LY CRAP!  Can you say "Bonk-a-Bomb, Bomb, Bomb?"  20 trail miles.  We hit Headwaters.

I keep getting up to move around, loosen up my legs, but my feet!  It has to be from the shoes.  20 miles was probably too far for the first time in them.

"

Yeah, Leslie, 20 miles at the headwaters might not be the best way to break in your new shoes, LOL!  I suppose you are lucky that your feet are not bleeding from chafing and blisters.  I hope they recover soon.  I recommend Epsom Salts.  They really work.

"

So once again, it was a slug-fest. I think trail running is pretty cool unless:

1. you're not the first one to go through

2. it's not mid-summer in the South 

3. the humidity is high.

"

Trey, I can agree with your statement on all three counts.  I usually run early in the morning because that is the coolest part of the day,  but it is also the most humid and I am usually the first to "break" the trail of webs and such.  It's still better than road running, though.

I didn't do any running this weekend, but my husband and I drove to the Wichita Mountains to go hiking with some friends we had not seen for 9 years.  I was surprised by soreness this morning.  I did not think we worked that hard.  Well, we DID wander off the trail, requiring us to slug through brier patches and climb over fallen trees.  We attracted untold numbers of baby ticks (the red ones that are as small as pinheads) and a few regular sized ones.  UGH!  I HATE TICKS!  I still have the creepy-crawlies, even after a long soak in the tub and vigorous scrub in the shower.  Maybe I will take ANOTHER shower.

Kitrin

Florida

No trails involved but something of a milestone today...First 10+ mile run of 2009.  Early year injury led to two months off.  Starting to get after it again.  Yay!

...---...

Did an additional 10 miles Sunday late afternoon. That gets me 50 miles for the week. First ever 50 mile week for me. So, the hay is in the barn and I'll start tappering this upcoming week.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

. . . . which prompted me to strip down right there in the woods making sure it didn't get underneath my clothes.

Doggone it.  I miss all the good stuff!

Runhikebird - Congrats on the 10+ miles.

Runner67 - I have yet to have a 50-mile week.  Congratulations!  You're going to do great at your run.  Just try not to get caught up in the excitement and go out too fast.  And remember your hydration and nutrition.

Kitrin - Re the new shoes.  I didn't get any blisters or chafing, it just felt like someone had beat the crap out of the bottom of my feet.  But nothing that some ibu and a pain pill didn't fix right up! (Gotta love left over drugs from surgeries.)

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...---...

Doggone it.  I miss all the good stuff!

Heh, Trust me, when that happened, wildlife and insects scattered for safety. Similar to looking at the face of Medusa, animals ran for their lives. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Heh, Trust me, when that happened, wildlife and insects scattered for safety. Similar to looking at the face of Medusa, animals ran for their lives. 

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Trey,

Brown recluse (shudder)

Anyway, being the first one through is never, ever an issue for me.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Trey, you crack me up.  Good job on the runs too!

One of the soldiers in my husband's Officer Candidate School group was hospitalized from a brown recluse bite received during a field problem.  They are scary spiders.

I wish I had running to report, but I don't.  I spent the past couple days weed eating and mowing the yard during the coolest part of the day and it is staying into the 90s well past dark.  I plan to run tomorrow.  I am just checking in and gossipping.

Kitrin

...---...

I spent the past couple days weed eating and mowing the yard ...

I call that cross training 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12