Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - August 2008 (Read 375 times)

Ultrachick

Glad you're back Greg! But didn't I also see some posts from you on Kickrunners? Big grin Bummer about the hip and falling while roller blading. I'm with Leslie-I tried it but never got any good at it-scared to go downhill! Good luck Chris! I hope it doesn't snow on you! Lightening and rain are bad enough! Post more often Greg! Kelly
    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Sweet article, Leslie. Thanks for sharing it. Smile Kelly
          Your welcome. Smile Saturday ran at Headwaters for the first time since my car was broken into. http://www.blm.gov/ca/arcata/headwaters_factsheet.html Interesting history with regad to acquisition of the land. Anybody remember Julia Butterfly who sat in a redwood tree for something like 2 years? This is the area. It was nice to do something different from the Arcata Community Forest. I think we'll be sticking with Headwaters for awhile. It has a lot of uphill switchbacks, which are fun on the way out. Although Saturday I glanced at my Garmin just as I was rounding a corner and almost didn't cut it close enough. Black eye I think I may have left treadmarks. Wink Hope you all had a good weekend!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Here's Kate's HH report if you'd like to ready it: http://www.themadrunner.blogspot.com/

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Howdy folks. Yeah, I post at Kickrunners semi-regularly. I usually chat here about my training. Hips have gotten a little better. I biked this morning for :30 which seems to have helped. I bought some cheap normal "jogging" shoes from Target for more support. I've got my mind fixed on the minimalist approach so I'm reluctant to run in normal shoes. I ran 3 fast mile yesterday in them and it felt like I had pillows on the bottom of my feet. I didn't like it at all. My "normal" support trail shoes hurt the ball of my foot as I slide in them. The sandals feel way better, but I fear they may be leading to my hip pain, so I;'m going to give the normal approach a go and see what happens. I hate being normal. I ordered some La Sportiva Fireblades from REI to arrive soon. We'll see how it goes. Getting off the low hr bandwagon too for now till I lose weight and it gets cooler. Trying to cool the body makes my hr go up alot. In the late fall and winter I will slow down again and hopefully be able to do most my running at lower hr's. To run slow just hurts my hips too much for some reason so I'm going fast till I can't, then walking, then running, repeat... Oh, and I may still be doing my secret race goal. I'll let y'all know in six weeks or so. I have to see if I can get some significant training in first in time to have any hope of finishing. Nine weeks till the event. That's my world. How was the run in your old spot Leslie? Were all your belongings there when you got back?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Well, good luck to you and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a successful finish and recovery! Big grin Be sure to let us all know how it goes...I'll be at Wasatch supporting my significant other in September. Kelly
                Home from Leadville. It went great! Finished in 26:22:20, 45th place, about 12 hours out/14 hours back, so pretty even splits. The weather was epic: rain, sleet, hail, snow, lightning, fog... 455 starters and only 186 finishers. Overall, I have no complaints. The 2nd half felt better and my best stretch was miles 55-80. My good friend Steph Ehret (finished 2nd woman this year) gave me a ton of good advice on how to run this race, and it all payed off. I owe this one to her. I'm working on a race report, I'll post the link once it's up... Have a good week everyone! - Chris Mile 99.9:
                  Hey Happy to hear everyone is doing well with the exception of Buddo. Being injured stinks but hang in there. You'll get better. Next time you'll on rollerblades take off the wheels. It's safer that way. Big grin Chris, great run completing your first 100 especially in a race with a 60% DNF rate. What an accomplishment! Not nearly as amazing as running 100 miles, but I did a 15 mile trail run this past weekend. It was my longest run since returning from a 7 month layoff. I stll have neck, back and plantar fascia (both feet) issues but I didn't feel any worse after the run so I am pleased. Well, just wanted to keep in touch. Hope everyone has a good week. Dan
                  Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                    Chris - Congratulations! Great pic, too. Will be looking forward to your report. Greg - Hang in there with the hip issues. And remember, there will more than likely be a transition period for your body when you change your style of running footwear. Also, it was fun to get back out the Headwaters. And we took my friend's car this time, but it didn't get broken into . . . but we left it unlocked. Wink They've actually done a lot of improvements of the parking lot and first mile or so of handicap accessible trail. Supposedly they were going to put up surveillance cameras, too. We didnt' see them, but did some mugging for them just in case. Big grin Dan - Congratulations on the 15 miles. Hopefully things will keep improving for you. No trail running for me this upcoming weekend. Am leaving tomorrow AM for a conference in San Jose. Supposely there's a nice trail near the airport (wherever that is), but since I'll probably be running at dark-30, I'd rather not do it on a secluded, unknown trail. Later!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Congratulations to everybody on their races! I know that Fall is a popular time for ultras and all your successes keep me motivated towards achieving my modest goals. You guys keep training in spite of injuries and all kinds of other obstacles and that is very impressive. I find it way too easy to go off the rails (or off the trails, in this case) with any little excuse. As I posted over a week ago, my company sent me to Houston last week. Staying at the Hilton downtown, I ASSUMED that I would have access to the internet. I was wrong. Although even some Motel 6s have free wi-fi these days, Hilton still charges $11 per 24 hours for internet access. As a stingy employee (and one who would not be reimbursed for the cost) I took a pass. That is the reason for the long absence in posting. Sorry. During the week in Houston, I probably could have run somewhere, but I ended up watching the Olympics with my new exchange daughter from China. She is very interested in the coverage, for obvious reasons, and most of the USA/China matchups are shown during primetime coverage. That was my excuse last week for not running. I also found a way to see my husband who is away on business in South Texas, just across the Rio Grande from Mexico and slightly inland from the Gulf of Mexico. I DID run while I was there for a couple days, but the heat and humidity were oppressive. I had to quit early and take it VERY slowly. I swear, I could feel the air moving in and out of my lungs. I saw several runners on the trail that I used and was amazed at their ability to run and run and run. I suppose the human body can grow accustomed to anything. This post is too long, again. I will finish by saying that I enjoyed a nice workout last night in my hometown and am successfully "back on the wagon." Who will be out on the trails this weekend? Kitrin
                        Welcome back girlfriend. I am going for a 10 miler in a new park near me. Hoping it will be a new adventure. Trying out new trail shoes, LaSportiva Fireblades. I'm originally from Florida and I used to love to run in the heat and humidity. You definitely adapt and it becomes no big deal. If I were to go down there now after living up north for 10 years, I'd be toast, literally. Have fun this weekend.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Welcome back Kitrin-glad to hear you're back on the wagon. Buddo-nice to see a post from you. Good luck with the new shoes, I hope they work and your hip problem magically disappears. Leslie-have fun at your conference? Confused I'll be out on the trails this weekend and the roads. I've been training some women for their first 5K and one of them wants me to stick with her so I will and have fun on Saturday and then on Sunday is a 30k trail race I may do. Might as well to get the miles in. My last two weeks were big mileage weeks so I'm backing down this week-I just want to keep my 20 mile long run streak going-this will be weekend #10.
                            Hi Everyone! Welcome back Kitrin-glad to hear you're back on the wagon. Buddo-nice to see a post from you. Good luck with the new shoes, I hope they work and your hip problem magically disappears. Leslie-have fun at your conference? Confused I'll be out on the trails this weekend and the roads. I've been training some women for their first 5K and one of them wants me to stick with her so I will and have fun on Saturday and then on Sunday is a 30k trail race I may do. Might as well to get the miles in. My last two weeks were big mileage weeks so I'm backing down this week-I just want to keep my 20 mile long run streak going-this will be weekend #10.
                            Nice! That's when I fell like I'm in shape, hitting at least 20 every weekend. Nothing like a nice 4-5 hour romp through the woods or adventure run. Recently I've been inspired by David Goggins to just-frickin-do-it! and am amped on running again. Hoping to steadily gain back to where you are Kelly. You still running the low hr approach? Mentally, this is hard to let go of. Makes for every run to be confusing-am I building or hurting my aerobic capacity by just running without moderating effort to keep hr down? I'm just trying to push it out of my head and run by feel ala Goggins. Just frickin run, you know? DK takes this approach too. Might as well let the cat out of the bag. I've been hoping to build my miles to take a shot at the Pinhoti 100, an inaugural 100 miler with 85 miles of single track, point to point, throught the Taladega National Forest in Alabama. I'm a couple weeks behind schedule and fear I wouldn't be in fighting shape, with a long run of a 50K before hand (hopefully) but may say screw it and do it anyways, all assuming the hip thing takes care of itself in the meantime as well. I'm pondering that, but my better judgement keeps threatening to derail my decision. Fear of an injury that might sideline me for awhile keeps rearing it's head. Then again, I have all winter to recover if I have to. It's not like I'm an Olympic athlete or anything with only this year to shoot for. So, I'm thinking about that, or, training for the Philly Marathon in November then building my miles on a base of fitness and looking forward to next year. The latter obviously sounds more sound and sane, but, so what. We'll see. Later. You have a time goal that you and your friend are shooting for for the 5K?

Hi Gang - I'm here in beautiful San Jose Dead where it's nice and warm. Smile Did my "trail run" on the dreadmill this morning since driving the streets around here last night did exactly warm my heart to running on sidewalks. Spent 1.5 hours on The Mill, alternating the incline up and down the whole time. It was a good workout. Watched a show in HBO called "Reverse of the Curse of the Bambino" about the Boston Red Sox. It was great and helped keep my mind off the fact I was on a stinking treadmill instead of a real trail. Buddo - I say good luck with the training for the 100-miler, but don't kill yourself. We'd rather see you do a healthy increase in your running than get sidelined with an injury. Good luck with the new shoes, too. Hope they are a cure to the hip problem. Kitrin - The heat and humidity. Ugh! Glad you got to spend time with your hub, and happy you're getting back on the wagon. Well, we gotta get moving. Have a great weekend.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Nice! That's when I fell like I'm in shape, hitting at least 20 every weekend. Nothing like a nice 4-5 hour romp through the woods or adventure run. Recently I've been inspired by David Goggins to just-frickin-do-it! and am amped on running again. Hoping to steadily gain back to where you are Kelly. You still running the low hr approach? Mentally, this is hard to let go of. Makes for every run to be confusing-am I building or hurting my aerobic capacity by just running without moderating effort to keep hr down? I'm just trying to push it out of my head and run by feel ala Goggins. Just frickin run, you know? DK takes this approach too. You have a time goal that you and your friend are shooting for for the 5K?
                                I feel like I'm just running to run and it's working out that my HR is naturally staying in the low zones. Right now my left hamstring is very tight and takes forever to loosen up-at least an hour. My speed work has gone out the window this year. I've been doing a 5k trail race every Tuesday night which is about the only time I get my HR up there or I have to be running with someone else to push me. My HR target at the start of the season was 150 but now when I'm running and I see it at 152-154 I don't get all freaky because I think I've improved in that 152-154 feels like 150. I'll get tested later this year afterI'm done racing and let you know how I did. Good luck with the Pinhoti 100-you won't know unless you try. That's how I'm looking at the Iroquios Trail 100 which I've been training for-let's see how far I get Big grin. My other big news is that I gave my notice at my job today. Sept 2 will be my last day and then I'll join Jack in Utah on Sept 3-11. I'll get my life figured out when I get back Wink Kelly