Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - August 2008 (Read 375 times)

Finally got around to writing up a race report from Leadville. It's pretty darn long and probably not very thrilling, so this is your fair warning Smile http://www.chrisgerber.com/outdoors/trip-reports/lt100-20080816.cgi Hope everyone has a great weekend out on the trails! - Chris
    Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Chris, Great race report and fantastics pics! Congrats on your success in the face of all manner of weather. In reading your report, I was reminded of my tendencies to go out too fast and struggle to finish what I am attempting to do. You are wiser than I in the ways of science! I finished 4 miles this morning on my regular loop (the longest so far this year). It was a small victory because, like I mentioned above, I started too fast. I think that part of my problem is that I ran the loop backwards. The beginning is uphill then down, then back up. When I run the loop my regular way, I run uphill, then mostly flat, then a little uphill, then down. I am beginning to see how much STRATEGY is involved in trail running. I think I need to practically walk the beginning of the reverse loop because I do not like to take the downhill slowly and lose the momentum that it brings. By the time I am heading uphill again on that reverse loop, I am already a little overtaxed and that uphill portion is "stepped" in stages with rocks. I knew I was in for trouble before I had finished my first mile. Well, I finished and learned a lesson. That is always a gain and I think I will continue to run it backwards until I figure out the proper strategy for that set of challenges. I will need to be prepared in the future. Today will be a day out of the house because the A/C quit last night. With a forecast high of 96, I am going to the movies and the mall! Enjoy the weekend! Kitrin
        Finally got around to writing up a race report from Leadville. It's pretty darn long and probably not very thrilling, so this is your fair warning Smile http://www.chrisgerber.com/outdoors/trip-reports/lt100-20080816.cgi Hope everyone has a great weekend out on the trails! - Chris
        Real nice. I had no idea the course was so beautiful. You look good too throughout the whole thing.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

So, Kelly, what was the time for your 5K, hmmm? Quitting your job? Whoa, is that good or bad? Leslie, your treadmill run actually sounds cool. You could have just kept er flat and zoned out, but you sound dedicated. I rode a stationary bike that had a computer monitor that would adjust the bike difficulty according to the computer course being displayed. I would think a treadmill that did the same while following a trail video would be cool. I didn't get my 10 in due to my dog getting lost for 24 hours and me searching for her. Got 6 hard and hilly ones on Friday and Sunday. I'll go for 10 next weekend. So far, no hip pain, but the new gait with the stiffer shoes are giving me shin splints. I'll just have to wait. The verdict is still out. The shoes themselves seem nice, but don't fit quite right. May trade them in (thank you REI) for some Inov8 295's. Oh, by the way, go check out Karl Meltzer's speed assault of the AT. Real picturesque and inspiring. Hard core. That's my dream. whereskarl.com

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

My time for the 5k was 34:??. I ran with one of the ladies that I worked with all summer building back up to a 5k. She's had some running injuries that she's just recovering from. The morning was hot and she's not good at pacing so she went out a bit too fast, had a leg cramp a little and had to walk. It was an out-and-back course so on the way back I made sure she didn't start off too fast after having to walk. It was fine with me to run with her because that way I saved myself for a 20 mile trail race on Sunday that I treated as a faster paced training run. Sunday was hot as well and the race didn't start until 10am. Luckily, most of the course is in the trees. Rolly hills, nothing huge. I finished in 3:13. 2nd in my age group and 3rd overall woman. The course was poorly marked so a lot of people got lost. It was at the trail center where I run a lot so I've been running the course most of the summer and knew my way around. Quitting my job is a good thing mentally-financially a bad thing. I haven't been happy for a while and scheming to find a way out. I've been hoping all summer that I wouldn't have to go back after Utah and funny how it just worked out that way...or did it? I don't like being unhappy about some aspect of my life-that's why I ended my marriage (after working hard to try and save it) because it influences everything else I do. So I may not ever be rich ($$$$) but I'm leading the life that makes me happy and richer in other ways and I'm working hard towards making $$$$ too. Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              I admire your courage and hope you find something more fulfilling. 20 miles, 3:13 huh? That's awesome. 7mph. I know I couldn't do that. You ever consider coaching? Wink

Kelly - You'll find the job that clicks for you. Hang in there!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Kelly, My husband and I still do not know what we want to be when we grow up! I have worked in almost every field imaginable and my husband has gone from sales to pastoring to the army to FEMA (currently). He called me last week and said he may want to do something different in a few years. Who says you need to do the same thing year after year after year to be successful? We are doing okay. On a running note, you are officially my hero for running 20m with an average around 7 minute mile! Shocked I think I can honestly say that I will NEVER reach that level. I can do many things with some success but have never really excelled at anything. I am a Jill of all trades and master of none, I guess. I have two sisters who are committed to their pursuits and I simply wander from one to the next. However, I am content with my mediocrity because I am a recovering perfectionist. If I try too hard, I beat myself up over small things. I can do without that in my life. Enjoy your life and you will be ahead of many. All my best to you. Kitrin

Ultrachick

Whoa! 7mph is not a 7 min mile! Big grin I might be able to pull off a 7 min mile on a treadmill for about 30 secs before flying off the back! I have a little discrepency with the time in that they say 3:13 which is around 9:40 per mile and my watch said 3:18 which is 9:54 per mile. I would be winning these races at 7 min miles! Big grin To dream the impossible dream......
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Confused OOPS! What was I thinking? I was reading and writing in a bit of a hurry and I guess I misread. You are still my hero, however. I am having fun watching to see what Gustav will do. Weather is one of my more consistent passions. Kitrin
                        Chris - great report and photos. I have no idea how you could comsume 50 hammer gels. I'm ready to hurl after 3 or 4! Dead FYI - if you paid for the filthy rental property with a credit card you should be able to get your money back. Call the credit card company and complain like heck. They will put a claim into the rental agent. Dan
                        Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                          Well it sounds like everyone had a productive weekend. I got in a 17 mile run on the trails ending with a plunge into Pearce Lake. Oh yeah! Can you say refreshing?
                          Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                            I guess I can't do math. I estimated 21 miles/3hours=7mph. Oh well. Sub 10" miles is real good on trails though. Real good. Any tips?

Chris - great report and photos. I have no idea how you could comsume 50 hammer gels. I'm ready to hurl after 3 or 4! Dead FYI - if you paid for the filthy rental property with a credit card you should be able to get your money back. Call the credit card company and complain like heck. They will put a claim into the rental agent. Dan
                              I would have to agree on all accounts quoted above. Hammer Gels - Tight lipped Filthy House - Angry get your $$ back. Hey - I work for attorneys. Need some help? Big grin Oh, wait a minute. California law probably doesn't apply in Colorado. Wink

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Dan, That lake looks wonderful! I can imagine that it was VERY refreshing after 17 miles. When I ran in California, I ran along canal trails in Northern CA and I always kept a sponge in my pocket. If I felt overheated, I pulled out the sponge, soaked up some cool canal water (it is always cool) and squeezed it over my head or wiped down my arms and legs. Bliss! I miss that now. I did a slow 4 miles this morning in new trail shoes. I drove too many miles this past weekend looking for a retailer that sells trail shoes and knows something about them. I ended up at REI, but the selection was small (only two different manufacturers and 5 models total). Fortunately, the associate also runs on trails out here and he said that the Salomon shoes sound like what I like. He was right. I enjoyed my first run in the shoes. They feel like road shoes, only a little stronger. They are not so stiff that I feel like I am running in hiking boots, however they have great tread and toe protection. I became an REI member so that I can return them if they do not work out, but I think we are a good match. He said that Salomon mostly manufactures snowboarding equipment, but they are starting to make trail shoes too. If my experience is anything to consider, you should look at them the next time you need a pair of shoes. Here is a link to what I bought, if anyone is interested: http://www.salomonsports.com/us/#/footwear/footwear/trail-running/xa-comp-3 Kitrin