Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team - August 2008 (Read 375 times)

I used to love Hammer Gel. I'm pretty burnt out on them now! I have a friend who makes his own and he flavors some with broth...which I thought sounded totally revolting. Now that I've run for that long, I can see why he does it. After a while, all that sweet stuff really gets old. I need to check with my friend on that house to see how he paid. After some complaining (and a link to my TR) the rental company did drop the price considerably. Oldguysrule: That lake looks awesome... what a great way to end a run! Ice bath with a view Smile - Chris
      Kitrin, I'm a member of REI too. They have the best return poilicy: 100% satisfaction, or return them, no questions asked, I think for the life of the shoe. Go to their website, REI.com. There is a much wider selection of shoes there. They will ship it to the store closest to you for free, and if they don't fit or you don't like em, no sweat, return em. I love it. I've done 3 runs in my new La Sportiva Fireblades and I'm still unsure whether I'm going to trade them in for some Inov8's yet. It's good to know I can try them in the real world and still return them if they don't work out. To be fair though, I'm only going to do a couple more runs before I decide as I don't want to abuse the policy. By the way folks, we got a cool little community going on here. This is the first time we've gotten to 5 pages of posts for a month. Welcome, bring others, and keep it up! We've still got the weekend to go too.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

I became an REI member so that I can return them if they do not work out, but I think we are a good match.
        Hey Kitrin Another option at REI is to order your shoes from their website (better selection) but choose the in store pick-up instead of sending them to your house. You save the shipping fee that way. Smile Yes, the lake was a great way to finish! Dan
        Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
          There's a post by Jlynn over on the ultra thread. A guy who posts as Johnmaas finished the Lean Horse 100 in 18 hours! Shocked Shocked Placed 6th overall. Ubelievable!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

There's a post by Jlynn over on the ultra thread. A guy who posts as Johnmaas finished the Lean Horse 100 in 18 hours! Shocked Shocked Placed 6th overall. Ubelievable!
            Whoa!! Incredible!!
            Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

AMAZING!!! I still remain in awe of all you ultra-runners. I did a nice trail run today at a new location. The trail was very messy and challenging and I think I set a PR for sweat production. I love it! Someday I will remember to bring my camera. I saw a beautiful snake and friendly bunny the last couple times I was out there. Kitrin PS Does anyone have advice about brambles or "thorny vines" as I call them. Is it better to wear pants or simply expect scraped legs? This trail is narrow and has quite a few grabbers.
                PS Does anyone have advice about brambles or "thorny vines" as I call them. Is it better to wear pants or simply expect scraped legs? This trail is narrow and has quite a few grabbers.
                If it's not too warm, running tights to help some, but I just end up with scrapes and pokes and wait for winter when I can wear my thicker tights. A machete would just be too awkward to carry. Big grin

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

If you're going to be a trail runner Kitrin, kiss your scratchless legs good-bye! Scrapes and bruises are the sign of a true trail runner and I'll include mountain bikers since the gash I have going across my knee cap is almost healed from falling over on my mtn bike-the scar is a lovely shade of pink. So keep wearing shorts or skirts if the weather is warm and run through the nettles, the brambles and the thorny vines-the itchy sting eventually goes away. It's all a part of being a trail runner and if you espire to some longer distance races being able to endure some discomfort. Scraped up legs go along with having ugly looking toes-did you see the pictures posted of Karl Meltzer's toes from his current attempt of running the AT? You can just imagine what his legs look like! Big grin Kelly
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Well, after what felt like a dreadfully long road run yesterday after work (1.75 hours . . . on pavement Dead ), I was wiped out for our run on the trails today. The next time I think it's a good idea to do to back-to-back long runs with only about 13 hours in between, somebody give me a good smack on the head. We were suppose to do 2.25 hours, but after 2, with 25 minutes of steady states, I was done. Also between the two days, I ended up with some mighty nice blisters. Evil grin A big ole blood blister on the edge of a callous, and blisters under the callouses on both balls of my feet. I think I got the blood blister 'cause there was no place else for it to go. My first bad blisters in awhile, so that's a positive! Smile Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Got out for a 5 hour trail run in the high mountains today. The tundra is starting to get it's fall colors so the first snows aren't far off. I'm not ready for summer to end... - Chris

On On

Got out for two and a half hours on trails this afternoon. Went real easy and it felt good. Was under the illusion I could find the time to train for a fall marathon but that got shot when life got in the way. Now I am just trying to build my base so when I can put in the time to train my base will be there. Hopefully I'll be able to get out for another longer run tomorrow of 2+ hours. Want it to be on trails though and I have to drive to any decent trails. The closest is only 7-8 minutes away though (where I went today) so that is not awful, but most are 30 minutes or more. See you on trail.

Ultrachick

I got 8 miles in this morning on the trails behind my house. I ran with my half marathon client I'm coaching. She had never been on these trails before and I figured it would be a good thing to run together at least once since she's paying me to coach her! Then I drove to the trail center and got in 12 more. It was humid here today-lucky the clouds didn't completely clear out. There's a 10 mile loop at the trail center I ran on today and am planning on doing 3 times tomorrow to get a 30+ miler for my long run. I'll use my car as an aid station since I'll go by it every loop then I won't have to carry too much with me. Kelly
                            I miss being able to do that kind of mileage. I held back today and was able to fininsh an 11 miler on some steep trails pretty comfortably. I pushed it some on the ups in the last half. I felt like I could do another 5 easy so I guess I'm in a good spot. The LaSportiva's are working out nice-no hip pain. I'm going to start to inch the mileage up gradually this time and maybe I'll be able to get some consistent racing in next year. I'm looking to just building my base over the winter at this point. No races.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Sounds like a good plan, Buddo. Glad to see the shoes are working so far in that your hip pain is gone. You could start doing the low heart rate training now and get a wicked base going by spring-if you want to try that again. Pick some spring marathon to shoot for and use that as a stepping stone towards an ultra. Come up with a training plan and if you need help ask away. I'm not an expert, we're all different and there's a million different ways to reach the same goal so don't hesitate to bounce stuff of me and the rest of us Smile I think I can speak for all us here that we want to you succeed and not get hurt. Kelly
                              Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Great mileage everyone! Someday, sigh, someday I hope to be up there with you. Not much running for me this weekend as I have been feeding my weather addiction with Hurricane Gustav. While I was feeding that addiction, I succumbed to some serious junk food temptations and really regret that now. I have decided that it ends here and I will go for a run tomorrow and purge the junk from the house too. I joined North Texas Trail Runners and they are sponsoring a 15K/25K trail run this coming weekend. I probably could finish the 15k if I pushed myself, but I decided to volunteer to run an aid station instead. I have a serious paranoia of injuries and want to take it slow and steady. I printed off a 12 week 1/2 marathon training schedule from Hal Higdon's website and plan to put that into action too. Slow and steady is my mantra right now because I tend to overdo. Must be some of that OCD that runs in my family, lol. Kelly and Leslie, thanks for the advice about the brambles. I am prepared to wear scabs and scars as badges of honor! Kitrin