Trail Runners

Logistical and equipment questions (Read 190 times)

Happy

I have received some information about my upcoming first ever 50K trail run - I feel a little confused and overwhelmed. The course map looks super complicated - I mean, just the changes and having to switch from one trail to the next w/o completing each trail and then using connector trails between them. It seems there is numerous opportunities to get lost and take the wrong turn and miss an aid station or two.....

Should I carry the map and the description of how to run it while running? Do you do that?

There are so few participants that I imagine we are going to be spread thin. I hope I will find someone to run with but I can't count on staying with a person or a group throughout the race.

Drop Bags....

We can bring drop bags that will be taken to the aid stations. This sounds good but what do you put in your drop bag? What are you going to need? There are going to be food and drinks etc.

I don't have a back pack for running. Normally I just carry a water bottle. I may want to get a back pack so I can carry things? What do you do? Does any of you (women) use the Nathan Vest that is mesh and very light with a few zippered pockets for small items? I don't want to carry water on my back - I prefer the hand held bottle (which I already have). 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Imminent Catastrophe

What race are you running?

It's important to know how the course will be marked. Some are marked very well, some not so. I can say that getting off the course is pretty common so you really, really, really have to look for the course markers.

As far as a drop bag, IMO not really needed for a 50k. I carry a hand bottle and RaceReady shorts.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

I am going to run another UltraTerri 50K - it is the FATS 40/50 on Oct 4. I intend to complete the course this time.

I think it will be well marked but there is a lot of switching from one trail to the other out there and I know I don't have much energy for reading maps while in the middle of a long run like that. I will just have to pay attention to those markers at all times and hook up with some other runners whenever possible.

I may just drop a pair of dry socks etc at one of the aid stations along with some foods that I can stock up on and carry so I can eat while running. I wore my Race Ready shorts for the last 50K I did and they worked well for some smaller items. Recently I had chafing on the inside of my thighs while running (training) in the Race Ready shorts so I am a little worried now about that. I may put a pair of longish compression shorts on under the Race Readys. I hope I wont feel too hot wearing several layers. 

__

Thanks for your advice.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Look at these for use as drop bags, as recomended in a tprevious thread somewhere here on this forum.  I usuallput extra gels, some soild foods, pain reliever.

As for the map - I usually try to print one out bacause they almost never have a paper one to pass out at the start. Just listen carefully to the instructions before the race begins.  When in doubt, if you know there is a runner coming up behind you soon, you can wait to see if they know the correct direction and at least get lost together.

Have fun!

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

I don't have a back pack for running. Normally I just carry a water bottle. I may want to get a back pack so I can carry things? What do you do? Does any of you (women) use the Nathan Vest that is mesh and very light with a few zippered pockets for small items? I don't want to carry water on my back - I prefer the hand held bottle (which I already have). 

I have used a Ultimate Direction Wink water pack that has pockets on the front like the vest - and it has worked very well.  In my last trail marathon I carried a bottle and had a very cheap (like $10) and old fanny pack for all my gel, salt tabs, small body glide, and camera, etc.  I think the Nathan vest would work great if an addiitonal layer won't make it too hot.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Flower - I like to use the Strider waist pack built for women.  It leaves your hands free (unless you want to carry 2 bottles), and the pocket on the side is surprisingly sizable.

As far as drop bags, since I use Ultra powders in my water instead Gatorade (the usual at aid stations), I carry a couple of packs with me and put extra ones in strategic drop bags, Body Glide, extra foot blister protection "stuff," things like that.  I don't always need it, but it's nice to know those things are available if need be.

I stopped wearing my hydration pack this year.  I stay much cooler with the waist pack, and it keeps me from packing myself down with crap I don't need and which just adds extra weight.  I also carry a sandwich baggie that I can put food in from the aid stations so I can eat "continuously" between the stations.  It's the only way I can keep from getting behind on nutrition.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Great input - thanks so much. I think I may end up carrying 2 water bottles just so I can avoid carrying anything around my waist. I have an amphipod waist belt that holds a bottle lying down on it's side in it. I haven't used it forever - don't like how it bumps up and down on my lower back and the belt cuts into the skin on my hips when I wear it. I usually don't wear a shirt when it is warm - just a running bra and the shorts - that give's no protection for the skin against the belt/strap. I'll give it a little more thought - maybe take it out for a test run one of these days to see how it works/feels again.

I will use some drop bags - just to feel more on the safe side with nutrition. I like to eat "continuously" too, Leslie. Trails2run, ziplock bags is not a bad idea - thanks.