Trail Runners

Attacking the hills or attack of the hills (Read 239 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Why not just get into the meat of trail running huh? Wink So I have some nasty buggers near my house. My glutes are more muscular than ever. Okay. But how can I keep my HR down and my pace up? Suggestions for skills, techniques? How do people do this stuff?
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    Carl A

What I do is walk briskly--if the hill is steep, it's both faster and easier not to be airborne during each ascending step. Walking creates a steady uphill pressure. Another key that helps me is to not look up. I'm not sure if this is biomechanically advantageous, but I like being surprised when I actually get to the top. On the way back down, I keep my hands low, keep the brakes off if I can, and cruise on down.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Wasatch Speedgoat

I've been running and racing for over 32 years...and one thing I learned way back is to try to maintain the same effort when running hills. If a runner goes by you, let them go stay with your effort and after you reach the top push down the other side. You'll catch the runner who is now dead from running the hill hard. Another thing about HR...there is no way you'll be able to maintain your HR over a hill. I've tried and other than walking, it always goes up...but you can try to maintain effort, which will be about the best you'll do. These days I specialize in doing 100 mile races. You notice i don't say "run" 100 miler races...the races that I do, you generally walk the hills or you don't finish. I personally know Karl Meltzer, who was chosen as Ultrarunner of the year last year and he walks most of the hills. An old saying back when I started this madness is unless you can see over the hill, walk it. Well, you can't see over any hill, so you walk them all in ultrarunning or you don't finish! Years ago when I was heavy into road racing, I never walked a hill. The only place I walked was Mt Washington RR. So, go into a hill and try to imagine maintaining effort, breathing, etc. and you will be doing the right thing. Hope this helps... Steve

Life is short, play hard!

muse_runner

keep running.

Wow thanks guys! Yeah some of the hills I've been running it's like looking at a wall. You have to crank your neck back to imagine what it's like on the other side. My calve muscles are rather tired from the toe work of hills. I'll start walking them. I appreciate that. I have no problem with walking when it's appropriate. Thanks!
          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I remember reading once that some guy said: "I don't see the need to attack the hills. I let them come to me." I'll attack a hill in a road race (or at least surge over the top) if it's like the only one and I'm in good enough shape to make a break. On trails, there's always another hill. Let them come to you...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I've also heard that the walking up the hills uses different muscles, allowing the running muscles to rest, and saving them for the flats and downhills.
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              muse_runner

keep running.

Thanks guys Smile
                  Steve - Thanks for your comments. It makes me feel much better. I especially like your comment, "doing 100 mile races" as opposed "running 100 mile races." I'm only in my 2nd year of trail running, and even though I know deep down that I should walk the hills, my stupidity and pride overtakes me once in awhile, calls me a wimp, and makes me try to run the hills. Stupid pride! Roll eyes

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I walked the steeper hills when I ran my first 50k. It worked out well for me.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I usually set a max HR target and then start walking when I hit that; then when it gets about 10 beats below the target I start running again. On shorter distances (say 25KM and less) I do try to run as many hills as possible; you really can make up a lot of time (but you use exponentially more energy).

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K